The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic G1 45-200mm

P

pnd1

Thanks for this thread -- it shows the versatility of this useful lens. I use mine in travel photography. It is always on my G1 (I use a compact Leica D-Lux 4 for focal lengths between 24mm and 70mm equivalents.) And it is always hand held -- I am constantly shifting vantage points and find a tripod to be unwieldy. Here are four examples of this lens in use at maximum zoom (400mm equivalent):

1. Union Square, New York City. In this case, I am using the long focal length to compress distance and juxtapose subjects that are city blocks apart.

2. Mountain Landscape, near Arivaca, Arizona. I often use this long focal length for distant landscapes. The mountains and clouds are many miles away, yet I can emphasize them within my frame.

3. Street scene, Bisbee, Arizona. I find this lens very useful in street photography. I made this shot from a distance, compressing a series of store fronts between the two figures in the scene. I find that the 400mm focal length allows me to become virtually invisible when shooting from a distance, particularly when using the flip out viewfinder of the G1 at waist level.

4. Lasso, Wickenburg, Arizona. The long 400mm focal length of this lens allows me to shoot a cowboy mural on a building a block away, and the use softly focused landscaping in the foreground as an incongruous target for the cowboy's lasso.

P

pnd1

A question: I just posted some images here for the first time. I want to add a space between each of them them, but can't figure out how to do it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Phil

Diane B

A question: I just posted some images here for the first time. I want to add a space between each of them them, but can't figure out how to do it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Phil
Phil, I juse use the enter key to add some spaces between my images. You could also put your description as a header for each one also--thus separating them. I just ended up at last post in this thread so have to go back and look at yours.

Diane

Terry

TEBnewyork said

"The mother duck is just lit so nicely it almost looks like you were using a reflector. Did you do anything special with that from a processing perspective?

Allow me to answer for Diane terry :) 1st thanks for the kind words. No reflector used and no 'special' processing. I do shoot raw in AWB and I find the G1 daylight pictures often need 'warming up' plus a slight 'S' curve for contrast and sharpening after resize.

tripper
Yikes !!!! I'm sorry Tripper! I was thinking it was all one big post. Duh!

P

pnd1

Thanks, Diane. That was my original intention. After writing each description, I uploaded each picture. But when I previewed my post, the descriptions were grouped together and the pictures were grouped together, so I must not be doing it correctly.

It works as it stands, but I would like to add a space between each of the photos. I clicked on "Edit," placed a curser on the right hand edge of the first picture, and hit the "enter" key, but nothing happened. I am new to this interface, so need a bit more help.

Thanks,
Phil

Diane B

Thanks, Diane. That was my original intention. After writing each description, I uploaded each picture. But when I previewed my post, the descriptions were grouped together and the pictures were grouped together, so I must not be doing it correctly.

It works as it stands, but I would like to add a space between each of the photos. I clicked on "Edit," placed a curser on the right hand edge of the first picture, and hit the "enter" key, but nothing happened. I am new to this interface, so need a bit more help.

Thanks,
Phil
Phil--I bet you are looking at your actual post (scrolled below). You need to edit from within the white text box. When you hit the 'edit' button---you need to go to the top of your window and edit in the white box with the text--put your cursor behind your *****, etc. and hit enter for each space---then you need to click on 'save' to make the edits stick.

Hope this makes sense--but the text box for the editing should appear at the top of your 'scroll', so to speak.

Diane

T

tripper

TEBnewyork said

"Yikes !!!! I'm sorry Tripper! I was thinking it was all one big post. Duh!"

No problem terry, I am flattered that you could mistake one of my pictures for Diane's

tripper

P

pnd1

Thanks for trying to help, Diane. I just went back to my post, hit the edit button, and looked into the white box. My text is there, but there is nothing in that box that says IMG. There's nothing for me to work with in that box in terms of spacing out my pictures.

Phil

Terry

Thanks for trying to help, Diane. I just went back to my post, hit the edit button, and looked into the white box. My text is there, but there is nothing in that box that says IMG. There's nothing for me to work with in that box in terms of spacing out my pictures.

Phil
How are you loading pictures? Are you uploading from your computer or posting a link from the web.

If from your computer use the paperclip and chose the files. Once you it upload and the files get loaded you can close that box.

View attachment 16443

If you go back to the paper clip, you can insert all or pick the ones individually that you want to load.

View attachment 16444

If you insert all (they sometimes don't all come out in the order you want but try it), then you will get a line of text for each image. Insert the spaces between those lines of text. See images below

View attachment 16445

Scott G

Hi Cindy,

Thanks, it is an amazing lens. I need to play with it more often, along with the G1 in general. I like them both more and more...

Last edited:
P

pnd1

Thanks, Terry, for the tutorial on uploading and positioning photographs to this forum. I played around with it, and eventually got that second box to appear. Once that happened, I was able to make it work, and I have successfully posted additional photographs in post #11 of the "Black and White pics" thread at http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7517 I was even able to position each photo below the supporting commentary. Thanks for your help.
Phil

Diane B

Thanks, Terry, for the tutorial on uploading and positioning photographs to this forum. I played around with it, and eventually got that second box to appear. Once that happened, I was able to make it work, and I have successfully posted additional photographs in post #11 of the "Black and White pics" thread at http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7517 I was even able to position each photo below the supporting commentary. Thanks for your help.
Phil
Sorry, Phil, that I hadn't even considered embedding by loading the photos here. I have never done that--link from my web gallery. Glad Terry got it sorted out for you. I'll check out your b & ws.

Diane

P

pnd1

Thanks, Diane, for your help. With some experimentation, I was able to figure it out -- I am used to pbase, which for me, anyway, is a bit easier for a newcomer to grasp. I am indebted to you and Terry for your kindness in helping me work things out. Things should go a bit easier from now on.

Phil

Diane B

Just to revive this thread a bit. Two from the 45-200--processed as monos.

Bluebird f/5.6 1/200s ISO 160 200mm

Rainy Day Visitor f/5.6 1/250s ISO 100 200mm

Diane

Michiel Schierbeek

1. Union Square, New York City. In this case, I am using the long focal length to compress distance and juxtapose subjects that are city blocks apart.

Phil, this photo convinced me to buy this lens. Very interesting the way you explain your view on things, on looking. I was waiting for this thread about this lens too.
We are going to Canada soon and I want to travel light. Just the kitlens, the 45-200, the Oly 9-18 and may be 35mm Olympus macro for the small things.
I also like to work with a lot of DOF to sort o flatten the distances in between.
Lik this one for example.

And Diana, I really like your rainy visitor.

deckitout

Hi I noticed earlier in this thread that someone mentioned that they used there G1 and 45/200 at 800 in EZ mode, can someone please explain what this is, I am guessing it is a digital zoom feature, but stand to be corrected

Many thanks

Phil

sangio

Hi I noticed earlier in this thread that someone mentioned that they used there G1 and 45/200 at 800 in EZ mode, can someone please explain what this is, I am guessing it is a digital zoom feature, but stand to be corrected

Many thanks

Phil
Hi Phil:

According to the manual, pg 48, this is an in-camera crop. This mode uses 3.1 mp from the center of the image circle to produce more of a telephoto effect.

regards
Santo