The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic G1 45-200mm

sangio

I just got back from a two week trip to Italy where I used both the 14-45 and 45-200 on my G1. The 14-45 performed great, the 45-200 was, well, OK I guess. I'm seeing some fairly noticeable cormer shading at most focal lengths, and it's quite severe past 150 mm. I know it can be corrected in post, but I'm wondering if this is normal, or if I might have a bad copy?

I've attached some examples. All were taken at 200 mm and F6.3. No croping, just resized and some USM for posting. The first is uncorrect; the second has had some vignetting correction applied in Silkypix.

regards
Santo

f6cvalkyrie

Hi,

during my traditional sunday morning walk, I concentrated on the 45-200mm, a lens I do not use enough.

Here's two close-up shots of an insect, thanks to the 200mm focal length, I could keep a sufficient distance not to disturb the animal.

Both @ 200mm f5.6 iso100

C U
Rafael​

f6cvalkyrie

Yesterday evening, I noticed that our clematis are opening nicely now.

The background was a mess, so I cleaned it up in PSP X2
G1 with 45-200mm @ 45mm iso 100 f4.0

C U,
Rafael

Leica 77

Yesterday evening, I noticed that our clematis are opening nicely now.

The background was a mess, so I cleaned it up in PSP X2
G1 with 45-200mm @ 45mm iso 100 f4.0

C U,
Rafael
Hello Rafael,
This image is stunning! The color is fantastic. Best regards, Leica 77 :)

f6cvalkyrie

Hi,

I continue to appreciate the 45-200mm as a close-up lens that allows you to keep distance to the subject, and to have shallow DOF :

F5.6 iso100

f5.6 iso400

C U,
Rafael

ecsh

A couple i took today. This lens is really softer than the 14-45, and seems more prone to unfocus through movement more than anything else.

R

Reed

Hi all,

I am the potential owner of a GH1. Moving to a lighter camera from a much heavier Nikon. With my Nikon telephoto lenses, I had very good luck with close-ups using the Cannon 500D two element close-up lens. Has anyone tried such a lens on the 45-200mm lens?

Reed

Terry

Hi all,

I am the potential owner of a GH1. Moving to a lighter camera from a much heavier Nikon. With my Nikon telephoto lenses, I had very good luck with close-ups using the Cannon 500D two element close-up lens. Has anyone tried such a lens on the 45-200mm lens?

Reed
I've tried the 250D which is a bit more magnification. Works fine. It has just been a wee bit windy where I live to get good shots! The lens is 52mm which may be the same as your Canon. I have one close up that is 52 and the other is larger.

Diane B

A couple i took today. This lens is really softer than the 14-45, and seems more prone to unfocus through movement more than anything else.
Remember the FL. At 200 it would be like handholding a 400mm (FOV/35mm) :eek: :eek:. I have trouble with my Canon 70-200 f/4 LOL. I'm actually pretty amazed how well the IS works for the FL. I do think its not as sharp at the long end but its still a really good value and with good technique and good processing, very good photos result.

R

Reed

Actually I have a 72mm Canon 500D for the Nikon 18-200mm lens, and a leftover 77mm 500D from the 300mm f/4 tele I just sold. I would need to get a 52mm for the 45-200 and/or a 62mm one for the 14-140mm lens. Either would be cheaper than buying a macro lens. What are your thoughts on how the Canon diopter lens would work on the 14-140?

Reed

F

FredB

I have only a few with the 45-200mm I noticed it is still hard to get close enough to them feisty birds lol

T

tripper

My photo's in the 14-45mm kit lens thread were well received (many thanks for that) so let's not forget the 45-200mm which is pretty capable. I think it is easy to forget that you may be shooting with an effective focal length of 400mm hand held !

1. Sedge warbler (Acrocephalus schoenobaenus)

Listen to this strident little bird sing here http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/s/sedgewarbler/index.asp

200mm f/6.3 1/400s iso200 hand held.

2. Sanderling

151mm f/9 1/400s iso200

3. Black headed gull

200mm f/6.3 1/250 iso200

tripper

Diane B

Tripper, I really enjoyed your boat photos. Just lovely. I listened to the warbler (I love warblers)--no wonder he has his mouth open LOL. Do you live near the coast?? We so rarely would find shots like you have posted on our eastern coast--so much is 'condo-ized' or just big power boats. You really have to search for anything similar so I'm really enjoying them.

Raf--as usual--lovely, esp. the second.

Diane

T

tripper

Tripper, I really enjoyed your boat photos. Just lovely. I listened to the warbler (I love warblers)--no wonder he has his mouth open LOL. Do you live near the coast?? We so rarely would find shots like you have posted on our eastern coast--so much is 'condo-ized' or just big power boats. You really have to search for anything similar so I'm really enjoying them.

Raf--as usual--lovely, esp. the second.

Diane
My thanks to Raf and Diane for your kind words.

Diane, no I live in the English Midlands about as far from the coast as you can get which ever direction you travel ! Hence my fascination with photographing boats, I rarely see them. Recent pictures were all taken when we were taking a break and staying on the coast of Norfolk. I got lucky with the warbler, I saw it a couple of times in the same place while walking my dogs thru the reed beds near the coast so guessing it had a nearby nest I returned with my G1 and waited....... not for too long. Like the Robin it is a 'brave' little bird and allowed me to get very close. Like yourself I rarely shoot birds. . . too difficult so this was a bonus.

tripper

Diane B

Ah, Tai Chi, Raf.

I love opening up this forum in the morning and seeing the photos that others in other parts of the world have shot recently.

Diane