The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic G1 45-200mm

kdemas

All taken with the 45-200mm.

Finally, from last weekend, a shot that is difficult for the G1 to get. Fast action.

Helio Castroneves, fresh from his tax case acquittal, on the track doing what he does so well.

scho

For some reason my 45-200 was performing like a coke bottle bottom today. I think the IS may have been out of whack.

False Hellebore at 200mm, handheld.

apicius9

I am a little bit intimidated by the quality of the photos that I generally see here from the regular contributors, and as a beginning amateur I won't be able to keep up - but you gotta start somewhere... I drove by Waikiki on my way home tonight and got a few shots in. I was wondering why so many of them were overexposed until I realized after a while that I - somehow - had set the ISO from auto to 800 :rolleyes: So here are just a few water shots... JPGS with minimal cropping and a bit of taking out the highlights. The jumper is one of the ISO800 shots, the others came after I noticed it. Once I understand my camera better, I will try to learn more about post processing... ;)

Stefan

Terry

Hi Stefan,
I like the first one the best with the body surfer looking out posssibly for that big wave and the woman on the raft oblivious to that and the couple. No worries about posting. That is what this forum is all about. Having fun and learning from each other.

ricseet

Hi, I have used the 45-200 more than 90% of the time becos I usually shoot birds. Most of my shots are taken hand-held at 400mm and very often 800mm in EZ mode. Sometimes I use the tripod and it certainly gives sharper images.
Here is a sample, hopes it gets inserted!

Overall I am very happy with the results for the price we paid. I have sold my G1 but kept the 45-200 mm lens and the 4/3 adapter becos I am waiting for the GH1. I am not happy with the noise patches in a lot of my pics.

More pics taken with 45-200 can be viewed at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ricseet/sets/72157611991148410/

would certainly appreciate your ideas on how I can reduce the noise background.

Cheers

Thank you.

ric

Diane B

Well, after the above birds, not sure if I want to share this one or not. I'm not a 'bird shooter' but rather a bird watcher. As this female Northern Cardinal came back time after time to bathe in the lower pool below the waterfall in our small pond, I felt I had to at least try LOL. Turned out fairly well--I was attracted by the reflection.

Diane B

T

tripper

I am new to the G1 and own both 'kit lens'

Here are a few taken with the 45-200mm (handheld)

1. 155mm f/5.6 iso100

2 189mm /5.6 iso200

And a couple of 'high iso' shots

I appreciate these last two are not normal high iso 'territory'

3. 128mm f/6.3 iso800

4. 200mm f/8 iso1600

tripper

Diane B

I used 3 different lenses to shoot these today--FD 50 f/1.8, FD 135 f/2.8 and the 45-200. The Panny distinguished itself nicely. Blue Sky iris 200mm f/5.6, 1/250s, ISO200

Diane B

T

tripper

Another shot of my Cocker spaniel 'Jess'

45mm f/6.3 1/400s iso100

tripper

f6cvalkyrie

Hi, Diane,

I'm quite surprised that you think our country is so beautiful, because it is just Belgium :(
I live in a little village, called La Hulpe, that is ca 10 miles from Brussels, and we are lucky to have an immense forest here.

C U,
rafael

T

tripper

More from the 45-200mm

1. Mother 136mm f/6.3 iso100

2. and babies 172mm f/6.3 iso200

3. Heron (hanging around hoping for duckling for dinner ?) 166mm f/7.1 iso200

tripper

Last edited:

Diane B

Didn't plan to shoot birds today--I'm not a bird shooter, but after getting our pool opened, sitting up there with a book, music and a glass of wine--I found I couldn't resist some bird pics. We have many of the indigenous birds on the farm--even 12 vultures circling overhead today---but these are 'social' birds that live close with us. With the 45-200

Eastern Bluebird waiting to catch food in the pasture for his brood.

male Bluebird just having fed his brood

and a Northern Mockingbird--who has been around a bit because I counted 14 distinct songs--maybe more.

There's some noticeable noise in the background, but I decided to not do any NR--it really doesn't bother me.

and the waterlilies have just started to bloom--Texas Dawn, the first to bloom and the last.

Diane

Terry

Diane,
These are just lovely. My two favorites are the mother duck and the water lilly. The mother duck is just lit so nicely it almost looks like you were using a reflector. Did you do anything special with that from a processing perspective?

terry

T

tripper

TEBnewyork said

"The mother duck is just lit so nicely it almost looks like you were using a reflector. Did you do anything special with that from a processing perspective?

Allow me to answer for Diane terry :) 1st thanks for the kind words. No reflector used and no 'special' processing. I do shoot raw in AWB and I find the G1 daylight pictures often need 'warming up' plus a slight 'S' curve for contrast and sharpening after resize.

tripper

Diane B

Tripper, I agree. I liked the duck photo also--good exposure, composition---but the little ones were a neat capture.

I shoot in RAW and always do 'capture sharpening' and other tweaks (always an S toning curve)--and then output sharpening after resizing.

I've not been much of a 45-200 shooter--and def. not a bird shooter--but I couldn't resist yesterday. And--of course, our gardens just are hard to resist LOL. I'd really like to get out of the 'flora' shooting rut, but need to take day trips with reasonable weather---and both have been hard to come by--so I find subjects on the farm for the most part *smile*.

Diane