The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic lens prices

P

pnd1

Protecting the 7-14mm lens from scratches?

I am new to this forum and have a question about the forthcoming 7-14mm wideangle zoom for the Panasonic G1 and GH1. It does not seem to be threaded, so it will not take a protective filter. Is this lens, which appear to bulge forward slightly, coated with a covering that minimizes random scratches?

Many thanks for your help.

Phil Douglis
Director
The Douglis Visual Workshops
Phoenix, AZ
[email protected]
http://www.pbase.com/pnd1

Re: Protecting the 7-14mm lens from scratches?

I am new to this forum and have a question about the forthcoming 7-14mm wideangle zoom for the Panasonic G1 and GH1. It does not seem to be threaded, so it will not take a protective filter. Is this lens, which appear to bulge forward slightly, coated with a covering that minimizes random scratches?

Many thanks for your help.

Phil Douglis
Director
The Douglis Visual Workshops
Phoenix, AZ
[email protected]
http://www.pbase.com/pnd1
While I have nothing to say about the subject itself, I´d like to URGE all forum members to visit Phil´s pbase site asap; it is outstanding! It has been among my top bookmarks (right beside Wayne´s) for quite some time.

Welcome here, Phil! Hope you´ll like it here (and that you get a real answer to your question, not just my ramblings....:eek: )

Brian Mosley

Hi Phil,

welcome indeed!

I'm afraid the Lumix 7-14, as the Olympus ZD 7-14 does not allow for filters - protective or otherwise... you just have to be careful.

If you're open to an alternative which does allow filters, check out the Olympus ZD 9-18... you will need a 4/3rds adapter though.

Kind Regards

Brian

P

pnd1

Thanks, Per, for those kind words on my pbase instructional site. I am glad you find it useful -- and I welcome the other members of this forum to use it as a reference work on photographic expression. I have heard good things about this forum and look forward to participating in it.

Thanks,
Phil

P

pnd1

Thanks, Brian, for your welcome and your suggestion. I plan to stick to lenses made specifically for the G1, so I guess I'll just have to use its vulnerable 7-14mm wideangle zoom with a lens cap always in hand.

Thanks,
Phil

Terry

Thanks, Brian, for your welcome and your suggestion. I plan to stick to lenses made specifically for the G1, so I guess I'll just have to use its vulnerable 7-14mm wideangle zoom with a lens cap always in hand.

Thanks,
Phil
Hi Phil,
I know you liked the v-lux a lot and enjoyed being able to shoot from the hip with the articulated screen. I guess you are enjoying the G1 if you are lens hunting. Your thoughts?

P

pnd1

Hi,Terry,

Good to hear from you. I've always cherished the ability to shoot from waist level, and the V-Lux 1 was the ideal all in one travel camera for me until the G1 arrived. So far, I am delighted with the G1 -- it is lightweight, offers a larger flip out viewing screen and a much better EVF than the V Lux 1, and of course renders a cleaner image at higher ISOs. I can use ISOs from 100 to 1000 without any noticeable noise problem. (Such was not the case with the V Lux 1.)

The G1 also responds more quickly than the V Lux 1, with less lag time, and faster bursts. As far as lenses go, the G1's 14-45mm kit lens does not work well for me -- I keep the 45-200mm telephoto zoom on my G1 all the time. I am pleased with the look it gives to my images, and love its shallow focusing area, and abstracting power. Of course, I am constantly using it along with the Leica D Lux 4, which is always with me. The D-Lux 4 weighs next to nothing, and gives me a fast f/2.0 lens for low light shooting along with a 24-60mm (equivalent) zoom range. This leaves me with a 61-89mm gap, a focal length area I rarely use in my travels. If I find that the G1's telephoto zoom brings me too close to the subject, I can use the D-Lux-4 at 60mm, and if needed, walk forward a bit to fill its frame. Or perhaps I will just back up a bit with the telephoto zoom, if there is room to do so. So far, this combination of cameras is working well for me. The D-Lux 4, which is a clone of the Panasonic LX3, has a very similar menu system to the G1, which is another advantage for me when I am working with the two cameras almost simultaneously.

As for other possible lenses, I prefer to stay with lenses made specifically for my system. The new 7-14mm wideangle zoom seems to be a natural fit for me. Although I don't really like to have to change lenses in the field, I would gladly accept that tradeoff to be able to add super wideangle coverage embracing such focal lengths as 14mm, 16mm, and 20mm (equivalents). The rumored hefty price tag does not bother me -- a lens such as this should hold its value well and easily earn its keep over a period of time.

If you check my pbase postings from March and April, you will can see the results of my early field testing of the G1 using the 45-200mm lens. I am more than pleased with both the camera and that lens -- together they provide a remarkable all-around tool for travel photography, and suit my shooting style and needs perfectly.

Best,
Phil

Brian Mosley

Hi Phil,

I find your comments truly refreshing (we're very accustomed to technical minutiae dominating forum discussion) - and hope that you will return here often.

The ZD 9-18 is fully compatible with the G1... and balances well, but I agree the Lumix 7-14 would be more desirable - I think you'll love the UWA perspective made possible.

By the way, your cyberbook continues to astound me... it will be a fine legacy, and is a tremendous gift to photographers worldwide.

I know that the comments are a major part of your cyberbook, but I would love a printed version... have you considered a blurb book?

Kind Regards

Brian

Terry

Thanks Phil,
I appreciate your thoughts as I've heard you speak about other cameras in the past that I've also used. I went back in to look at your work on line when I posted the last message. It amazes me how you continue to have sooooooooo many publishing worthy images.
I hadn't really thought about it until Brian just mentioned it but a book through an outlet like Blurb (including your thoughts on the various topics) would definitely find a prominent place on my coffee table.

P

pnd1

Thanks, Brian and Terry, for your comments on my images and for your suggestions regarding a self-published book based on my cyberbook. I will continue to follow the discussions on this wonderful forum, and contribute what ideas I can. As you note, Brian, I am more concerned with the purpose and effect of photographs, than I am with technical minutiae, so any comments I am likely to post here are more likely to deal with photographic content and meaning, rather than with the fine points of technology.

I am glad that both of you feel that some of my images may be worthy of publication in print. Now that self publishing is with us, I can see how a printed book based on my internet cyberbook might be feasible and hopefully useful. I have often thought about it, and your enthusiastic comments are encouraging me to think further. Obviously, no printed book would be able to display all 2,633 cyberbook images, as well as the 18,294 interactive comments left beneath them -- that's what the Internet is for. However I will certainly continue to think about an abridged version, containing some of my favorite images and accompanying thoughts. Thanks for your encouragement.

Phil