The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic lens prices

cap'n bill

1100 UKP - 1240 euros - 1600 USD for the 7-14mm :angry::angry:

800 UKP - 900 euros - 1163 USD for the 14-140mm :cussing::cussing:

Are they trying to kill the MFT system off before it gets started??

Terry

You can't simply use exchange rates for Panasonic pricing. Different parts of the world have different prices. To date I've seen no official US pricing. Have you?

endre novak

800 UKP - 900 euros - 1163 USD for the 14-140mm :cussing::cussing:

in whatever currency... is that pricing for a lens (2) that fit on micro 4/3 practically the G1 only?? love this camera but slightly unsure about that pricing.:bugeyes:

iiiNelson

The conversions I did from the Japanese market prices released about a month ago for the lenses were as follow for the exchange rates then. I'm really considering the 7-14mm to take my kit lenses from 14-400mm (35mm equivalent) with just 3 lenses. I have a few CV primes to cover faster common focal lengths and I will consider adding the 20/1.7 when Panasonic releases it too. It they still have the 45mm Macro coming it may bet added but hopefully Olympus will release their M 4/3 camera and lenses to fill some other gaps.

7-14mm - about $1179 USD
14-140mm - about $975 USD
14-45mm - about $319 USD

Brian Mosley

I suppose it all comes down to performance... if the Lumix 7-14 matches or even exceeds the performance of my ZD 7-14, in a package much smaller and lighter - I will have to think carefully whether the larger lens makes sense (granted it is weathersealed and heavy duty construction).

Similarly, if the Lumix 14-150 is equal to the performance of my PL 14-150... the same principle.

Those are big questions though... it all comes down to whether Panasonic can make lenses equal to the Leica and Olympus lenses.

Kind Regards

Brian

endre novak

although, the kit lens performs unexpectedly nice and so does the g1 itself, compared to other kit lenses and the body compared to more "serious" bodies, a lens in that pice range somehow does not seem to fit the idea of the g1, methinks.

endre

Diane B

You can't simply use exchange rates for Panasonic pricing. Different parts of the world have different prices. To date I've seen no official US pricing. Have you?
I tend to agree. We haven't seen USD pricing and I can't even imagine that the 7-14 will be $1600. I did buy the 9-18 in preference to waiting for the 7-14--and because I was sure it would be more than I wanted to pay for a UWA zoom since its not a FL range I use much. However, I have little doubt it will be a winner and would mean that you wouldn't have to use an adaptor, it will work with the video--there are pluses for sure.

Diane

fortynine

I think the pricing will be finalised on 24 Apr 09 when 7-14 is released in Japan.

I was observing the US and Japan prices when G1 & 14-45,and subsequently 45-200 was released. US prices were on average 10-15% more expensive.

Japan stores are currently taking preorders for 7-14 at official MSRP USD 1300. I guess final Japan street price will be around USD 1100

Last edited:

Terry

If you look at the pricing today at Jessops vs B&H for the G1 in US Dollars it is $710 in the UK and $630 in the US.

iiiNelson

the prices seem high for what was initially released as a 'bridge' camera.
Possibly but if they are well made in a smaller package still worth it and cheaper than some similar alternatives from other manufacturers.

The reality is that most bridge people don't buy additional lenses and are happy with just the kit lenses for SLR. Most enthusiasts replace the kit lens or just simply buy the body and preferred focal lengths. The smaller size, adaptability, and features are what mostly what distinguishes the G1 as a bridge camera. The price rarely did with a MSRP of $800 USD. It's more expensive than most entry level cams from almost every manufacturer albeit capable.

Diane B

What's a bridge camera? One of those CCTVs watching traffic? ;)
LOL---but I had never heard it referred to as a 'bridge camera'--or maybe I just missed the discussion of it in those terms.

When I think of a bridge camera I think of a DLSR styled fixed lens, smaller sensor 10x (at least) zoom camera. I've never considered an interchangeable lens camera a 'bridge'. In my mind at least, the smaller less expensive DSLRs in all systems are entry level DSLRS utilizing the same lenses as the big boys/girls--and I hadn't even considered the G1 from that angle really--since its just a different format, a new standard.

Diane

iiiNelson

I think it was referred to as a "bridge camera" by Panasonic and Olympus themselves when it was announced. It was supposed to be the "bridge" between advanced point and shoots and entry level dSLR's which doesn't make sense price wise as they kind of overlap. The "bridge" was supposed to be more ease of use and function specific though and I think it's a matter of a mix up of cultural translation.

LOL---but I had never heard it referred to as a 'bridge camera'--or maybe I just missed the discussion of it in those terms.

When I think of a bridge camera I think of a DLSR styled fixed lens, smaller sensor 10x (at least) zoom camera. I've never considered an interchangeable lens camera a 'bridge'. In my mind at least, the smaller less expensive DSLRs in all systems are entry level DSLRS utilizing the same lenses as the big boys/girls--and I hadn't even considered the G1 from that angle really--since its just a different format, a new standard.

Diane
Well, it is not a dSLR, since it lacks (happily...) the reflex finder, mirror flap &c. It is not a P/S, since it has lens interchangeability, and too much bulk. Also, it has a "grown-up" sensor size (I´d like to stick out my neck, and call it "full-frame", just to show the meaninglessness of this term; just because Oscar Barnack used 2 frames of cinema film in his prototype in 1914, it doesn´t necessarily mean it´s the ideal size for a silicon chip in 2009...:lecture:).

It´s something *between* a P/S and a dSLR, which is usually termed a "bridge" for some reason. It might even be said to be something between a "bridge" and a dSLR. A bridge too many? :D

Seriously, who cares? It´s a great camera, and that´s enough! ;)

monza

Yes, who cares where the marketers are trying to place the camera. :) It will be interesting to see where the 7-14 ends up pricewise. Considering lenses like the 14-24 Nikkor are in the $1800 range, a similar wide zoom lens for µ4/3 (one stop slower) would make a ~$1200 or so retail (as posted above) fairly reasonable, no?

iiiNelson

If it holds up optically I would think that a UWA lens like that would be worth it (@ $1200 or less) to be able to produce images that wide when need be. Much higher than that and I personally will more than likely search for alternatives.

Jonas

(...)
That is a crazy price and it make me once again wonder what Panasonic thinks about their customers. Lumix isn't *that* flashy...

Heck, I can imagine people looking at the G1 after having read the reviews turning into another direction when checking lens availability and prices - two obvious drawbacks can't be clever marketing.

Time will tell and I am looking forward to see what Olympus makes out of this. Increase their prices? Lol.

--
Jonas

monza

Probably best to hold off on second guessing Panasonic until the official pricing is out. At that point if it's really $1600, by all means. :)