The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic lens prices

Jonas

Probably best to hold off on second guessing Panasonic until the official pricing is out. At that point if it's really $1600, by all means. :)
Yes, hopefully the prices in the USA will be lower. They will for example not include the common European sales taxes.
I live in the EU and the price here seem to be confirmed. I'll hold out til' they dropped significantly. That may take a looong time.

When I say the price is crazy it is comparing to other brands here in the EU.

Ginny

It´s something *between* a P/S and a dSLR, which is usually termed a "bridge" for some reason. It might even be said to be something between a "bridge" and a dSLR. A bridge too many? :D
How about Digital Interchangeable Lens Camera (DILC)?

Diane B

How about Digital Interchangeable Lens Camera (DILC)?
EVIL is the term that has been being used on a number of forums. Godfrey likes EVFI. It seems to me that EVIL wouldn't cover the Oly m4/3rds first version though--would it??

I've just used m4/3rds but as they evolve that's likely not going to cover the type--for instance, the Samsung version won't be 4/3rds but APS-c.
Diane

kevinparis

something seems all very wrong and strange with this.

I mean when the whole micro 4/3 was launched the marketing premise seemed to be that there was a gap between the P&S and the DSLR. It was always going to be a narrow gap as long as DSLRs continued to drop in price with economies of scale and a rapid turnover of models that created a ongoing market in soon to be discontinued models filling the non photographic consumer channel.

to succeed in my mind MFT should offer cheap bodies with a range of affordable lenses. trying to upsell the buyer of a 600 buck camera with a 1000 or 1550 buck lens when you aren't part of a longer food chain al a nikon or canon seems crazy

K

endre novak

something seems all very wrong and strange with this.

I mean when the whole micro 4/3 was launched the marketing premise seemed to be that there was a gap between the P&S and the DSLR. It was always going to be a narrow gap as long as DSLRs continued to drop in price with economies of scale and a rapid turnover of models that created a ongoing market in soon to be discontinued models filling the non photographic consumer channel.

to succeed in my mind MFT should offer cheap bodies with a range of affordable lenses. trying to upsell the buyer of a 600 buck camera with a 1000 or 1550 buck lens when you aren't part of a longer food chain al a nikon or canon seems crazy

K
fully agree. this pricing (if true, at the end) seems to be simply out of class. whatever good the currently availabe M4/3 is (the G1) methinks there is a reasonable limit to spend on a lens for this body. and whatever lens you attach to it, it still performs nicely up to a certain ASA, (not too high numbers here) so, pricewise end up with L or D rated lens and a daylight camera?

cap'n bill

I should have said at the outset that the UK prices I quoted are official from Lumix Lifetyle website. The currency conversions were simply courtesy of google.

There was an offer of 100 UKP off the wide angle and 50 UKP off the big zoom but it would need to be a lot more than that to convince me to buy.

fortynine

Tokyo camera stores are now selling 7-14mm at USD 1100 equivalent. If non-Japan pricing is too steep, perhaps just contact a Japan re-seller and buy directly from Japan. I did that for my G1 & Kit and saved a bundle. Its international warranty.

Ben Rubinstein

Those are Pro lens prices, same as the Canon/Nikon pro lens equivelents. Are these lenses weather sealed, built like a pro lens, f2.8 lenses, quality of the equivelent pro lenses?

iiiNelson

Those are Pro lens prices, same as the Canon/Nikon pro lens equivelents. Are these lenses weather sealed, built like a pro lens, f2.8 lenses, quality of the equivelent pro lenses?
While there are "pro lenses" similar in price there are many moore "pro lenses" that are much more expensive. This is an optional lens choice and until it's released it's all subjective speculation on whether or not it's worth it. It's a lot of money for the average hobbyist I agree. Many people pay over $2K+ for one Leica lens and have a whole set of them so there are people who will not blink at the price. Some pay the same kind of money for Olympus, Canon, Nikon, and Sony lenses. If it's optically sound in a smaller package than the competition than I'd say it's worth it if you want it.

Ben Rubinstein

I was talking about equivelent, i.e. equivelent focal length. Selling an equivelent focal length for prices comparible to the big boys top of the line pro lens while not being equivelent in any other way - all that when your target market is soccer moms...

iiiNelson

I was talking about equivelent, i.e. equivelent focal length. Selling an equivelent focal length for prices comparible to the big boys top of the line lens while not being equivelent in any other way - all that when your target market is soccer moms...
That may have been the original target market in the business plan but I think Micro 4/3 kind of took a life of it's own after being released amongst photography enthusiast.

Just for comparison purposes the Olympus version for 4/3 of the 7-14/f4 currently goes for $1750+S&H at B&H currently. It has identical zoom range and aperture value albeit until proven otherwise higher optical quality and weatherproofing. When you add a 4/3->Micro 4/3 adapter for $150 to that the $1100 looks more like a bargain IMO.

K

kiloran

Panasonic UK sent me an email a couple of days ago - £800 for the 14-140 and £1100 for the 7-14mm. Insane pricing and I'm out of the G1 game if I can't buy 1st-party lenses for it. Such a pity, it had real promise but those are pro prices :(

LizaWitz

Are these not pro lenses? I've seen them compared to pro lenses and very favorably, as I understand it. I wouldn't call myself a pro-- but the camera can take just about any lens ever made-- are there better alternatives for less money? If so, what are they?

What's the relative pricing of the nikkor 14-12 vs the panasonic 7-14?

Here's a Nikkor 14-24 f2.8 @ 14mm f5.6:

Here's the Panasonic 7-14mm f/4 @ 7mm f5.6:

Jonas

Are these not pro lenses? I've seen them compared to pro lenses and very favorably, as I understand it. I wouldn't call myself a pro-- but the camera can take just about any lens ever made-- are there better alternatives for less money? If so, what are they?

What's the relative pricing of the nikkor 14-12 vs the panasonic 7-14?

Here's a Nikkor 14-24 f2.8 @ 14mm f5.6:
[image]
Here's the Panasonic 7-14mm f/4 @ 7mm f5.6:
[image]
Many questions Lisa, maybe they are rhetoric... ;)

If the lenses were "pro" they could have been weather shielded, no?

Do you find the G1 to be a pro system? Who is supposed to buy the system? I have seen several nice Panasonic ads with a chic lady at a shopping tour with her handbag and the G1 as company...

But the above is not my main reason to post. I wonder where you have seen comparisons between the G7-14 and the Nikkor 14-24? Any real review, not only those tiny images you posted here (where there seem to be more details in the Nikkor image already at this small size).

--
Jonas

Diane B

Curious where the Panny 7-14 shot came from--who took the photos (LisaWitz)?? Is it already shipping? I saw that it was to be available in Japan--like now, as the GH1 and the 14-140 are also available, but I hadn't seen anyone anywhere that had one yet.

Diane

Jonas

Last edited:
R

Ranger 9

If the lenses were "pro" they could have been weather shielded, no?
Leica M lenses aren't weather shielded either. This seems like another thing that never used to bother anyone until it became a "feature" for some makers to advertise...

iiiNelson

Leica M lenses aren't weather shielded either. This seems like another thing that never used to bother anyone until it became a "feature" for some makers to advertise...
Agree 100%. It's kind of unnecessary to have weather sealed lenses on a non-weather sealed camera IMO. Just adds addtional costs even if it's a great feature to have in general.