The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic lens prices

Jonas

The 9-18 is a slower lens, and not as wide. Surely these must be factors, so this really isn't a direct comparison. Add $150 for the 4/3 adapter, too.

That said, I'd probably buy the 9-18, as that would be plenty wide for me, as infrequently as I would use the lens.

The Pana 7-14 should go down over time; what was the 9-18 selling for a day after it was introduced, anyone know?
Ah, I thought everybody had the adapter already. I agree one shouldn't compare the 9-18 with the 7-14. But I can't help to do it anyway. I'm old school and never used anything wider than a 20mm lens on FF. For a long time a 24mm was my widest. Now I have the 9-18 and it is plenty wide and I don't usually zoom out to 9mm. Anyway, the 9-18 puts things a little into perspective when discussing UWA zooms and prices.

That said, if I had a 7mm lens I guess I would find some use for it.

I have no idea what the initial price of the 9-18 was. The same as now I guess, it is after all released not long ago.

regards, /Jonas

Jonas

(...) he had 2 this morning, just 1 left now !
So hurry up if you want one, or wait for a second batch ...
Wow! Rafael, that's a bit exciting, isn't it? I hope you'll like it. I'm interested in some raw samples of buildings and such.

regards, /Jonas

Diane B

Monza, its relative LOL. I don't think I would make up my mind until I saw results from the 7-14 and read (and heard first hand) reports/reviews of the new lens.

I do think the $1,750 is more than I would spend for a lens I would use not too often. If it was one I used quite a lot, felt it was a 'must have', then perhaps.

I guess I have to admit, too, that I'm influenced a bit on the wide angle side because I do have 4 options for WA for my 5D. Granted, if I don't have the camera with me to shoot with the UWA it doesn't really matter--if I only have the G1 with me LOL, but when I need a wide wide lens--I believe I'll know ahead of time and plan. Its hard to untangle one's biases from these kind of decisions. That being said--I did buy the 9-18 and the adaptor (which I planned to use with other lenses eventually--I have the Konica Hexanon 40 f/1.8 being worked on). I knew from previous use that I didn't use my 12mm widest often--usually I shot in range of 18mm or so (FF), so the 9-18 is wide enough for me. I also know that if I shoot inside wide--it will be on a tripod, so all in all, its a good fit. That really doesn't have anything to do with other's choices of which lens though. I still anticipate that the 7-14 f/4 will be a good lens--and small (same size as 9-18 really--but then the adaptor and 3 oz which eat up the small difference in weight between 9-18 and 7-14). I even wonder if I'll carry it for travel--or perhaps carry it, but decide day by day if I need more than 14mm.

Still--*smile*--looking forward to those images from the new lens, some comparisons with the Oly 7-14 and the 9-18. Because I wish Panasonic well with the m4/3rds, I hope they sell a lot of them--and hurry with the 20 f/1.7.

Diane

Last edited:

iiiNelson

No you aren't the only one who thinks the price is somewhat reasonable considering the pricing of direct "competition" and other options. That's the point I made previously. Comparing other options and this lens is significantly cheaper than similar options from Olympus. It just has to prove it possesses similar or at least sufficient optical quality before I personally will jump on it.

I would be sold on Micro 4/3 if I could go from 14-400mm (35mm equivalent) with decent optical quality in 3 lenses. I can always get standard 4/3, M-Mount lenses, or other primes for the faster aperture "needs" until they release a larger lens selection.

LizaWitz

I shouldn't have brought up the weather sealing thing. I did it as Lisa (wherever she went...) claimed the lens to be a "pro" lens at a reasonable price.
Wherever I went? That was yesterday. I never made any such claim. I just asked a question.

I hear people claim that Panasonic lenses are overpriced-- and so what I wonder is if there is a company that makes comparable quality lenses at a better price.

The nice thing about this platform is that you can adapt just about any lens... and so I am curious to know if there is a better deal out there.

Diane B

Every other lens but Olympus (some) will only MF. There isn't a comparable lens except the Olympus version AFAIK. One alternative that some are considering is the Oly 9-18.

Diane

Jonas

Wherever I went? That was yesterday. I never made any such claim. I just asked a question.
It was April 27. Before that it was a month or two since you last posted and you talked about comparisons you had seen. When asked about the comparison you didn't reply. Yes, I wondered if you were to return.

Are these not pro lenses? I've seen them compared to pro lenses and very favorably, as I understand it. I wouldn't call myself a pro-- but the camera can take just about any lens ever made-- are there better alternatives for less money? If so, what are they?

What's the relative pricing of the nikkor 14-12 vs the panasonic 7-14?
If you need a 7-14mm lens for your G(H)1 there is no other one for less money. If you don't mind a bit slower AF the Olympus 9-18 can be an option (and supposedly an easy lens to sell if you don't like it).

Jonas

I don't understand the Panasonic strategy. A 7-14mm zoom at £1.100 is a bit extreme for a system having only 2, or now 3, other lenses in total.

I mean, we have two kit lenses, a special lens made for video and an extreme UWA zoom. What sort of a lens line-up is that to show for a presumptive buyer?

From what I have seen the G7-14 isn't bad at all. As I understand it it leans heavily on software correction and this may cause a noticeable lack of definition compared to better corrected lenses. It is not announced as being silent or to have this stepless aperture (or what it is called). It is not weather shielded and it comes without distance scale.

So, what is the Panasonic idea really? Is it wealthy women out shopping in Tokyo? Family shooters? Movie enthusiasts? "Prosumers"?

Time will tell but I think Panasonic should work to give the µ4/3 a momentum and bring out lenses building a stable base for future more extreme stuff. What about a fast portrait lens, a really fast normal (in addition to the pancake), a 9-18 or thereabout and then a couple of tele zooms?

regards, /Jonas

iiiNelson

I believe all of that will come but you are demanding a full lens lineup from a system that's been around for 6 months. That's the main thing to remember and hence why adapted lenses are so important for the time being. I would think that people would be clamoring for more variety in body types as well.

Good lens design takes time to create and produce. I'd rather them take their time on lenses that fit "the mold" than to just release junk for the sake of a large lens lineup. If the lens doesn't fit your M 4/3 profile then great, look for the alternatives. Until there are competing lenses though Panasonic is free to charge whatever they want. I personally would like them to send me a full set of M 4/3 lenses and adapted Leica M lenses for free but it's not going to happen. We are all speculating on lens quality at this point - especially only having limited jpeg files to compare. If the kit lenses are anything to go by then the 7-14 will be more than adequate in quality for most people.

Brian Mosley

I hope the 7-14 is better than kit lens quality, but generally I agree with you... I bought my G1 specifically to use with my Hexanon legacy lenses, and so the 14-45 kit lens was a bonus. I actually think that it's perfectly fine.

I hope that the rumour of an Olympus 17mm prime lens is true... I'd love a 35mm EFL prime lens for m4/3rds. It will be interesting to see whether Olympus have full speed CDAF in line with the 14-45mm OIS.

Kind Regards

Brian

Jonas

I believe all of that will come but you are demanding a full lens lineup from a system that's been around for 6 months. (...) If the kit lenses are anything to go by then the 7-14 will be more than adequate in quality for most people.
I guess you are replying to me. I didn't know I demanded a full lens line-up. I said I don't understand Panasonic's strategy. Reading your post it seems as you think I demand good stuff for free and if everything isn't to my satisfaction I should leave the area.

I still don't think an extreme and expensive UWA zoom makes sense as lens No 3 in a new system. Do you, really?

iiiNelson

Why wouldn't a wide zoom be a good choice? You have a normal zoom, a telephoto zoom, and a wide zoom would be somewhat of a logical choice to many people who want to do landscape photography. Just my opinion. Yes a fast normal prime or a portrait lens makes sense too as does a macro. I'm sure these would be the next 3 options.

iiiNelson

I hope the 7-14 is better than kit lens quality, but generally I agree with you... I bought my G1 specifically to use with my Hexanon legacy lenses, and so the 14-45 kit lens was a bonus. I actually think that it's perfectly fine.

I hope that the rumour of an Olympus 17mm prime lens is true... I'd love a 35mm EFL prime lens for m4/3rds. It will be interesting to see whether Olympus have full speed CDAF in line with the 14-45mm OIS.

Kind Regards

Brian
For the proposed price I hope the lens is much better than kit lens quality too but unlike many kit lenses the 14-45 and 45-200 aren't complete "throw away" lenses. I would like high quality autofocus primes as much as the next person but in the meantime I have a CV 28/2 Ultron and a 50/1.5 Nokton to cover those wants.

Brian Mosley

Thanks for the link icebud, the ISO 400 (-1EV) images look promising... for effectively ISO 800 shots.

Kind Regards

Brian

iiiNelson

So ready around the net it seems the 7-14mm is going for about $920 in Japan (street price.) Hopefully we can possibly see it over here for under $1100 before too long.

iiiNelson

I was reading a post on Flikr where someone stated that the Lumix 7-14 could be had for the equivalent of about $920 at some places. I don't think they mentioned a specific place but it was posted a few days prior to me reading it.