The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Lens Adapter

m3photo

I haven't seen either of those...

Here is another that I am curious about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250415846014
Seen this one - he still tends to dance around with his prices, probably feeling out the market. He posted his first one (for Nikon) as an auction and it hit $142! As jinfinance is now offering 2+1 for about the same amount, I'm hoping the market for these adapters settles down a little more before I jump in again. I bought one of the first m39-m4/3 models for nearly $80 and now after 4 months they're going for half that!

wjlapier

I use jinfinance's Nikon to M adapter and CQ M to mFT adapter to use Nikon lenses on the G1. There is also a Nikon made Nikon to C mount adapter that I have and can use with Hawk's C mount to mFT adapter.

Both are great and are solid on the G1.

m3photo

I use jinfinance's Nikon to M adapter and CQ M to mFT adapter to use Nikon lenses on the G1. There is also a Nikon made Nikon to C mount adapter that I have and can use with Hawk's C mount to mFT adapter.

Both are great and are solid on the G1.
Thanks for the reply. I'd thought of the C-Mount route as I have Hawk's adapter, but funnily I discarded this idea as I (obviously wrongly) thought that there would be light-loss issues here ...

wjlapier

Thanks for the reply. I'd thought of the C-Mount route as I have Hawk's adapter, but funnily I discarded this idea as I (obviously wrongly) thought that there would be light-loss issues here ...
Occasionally you can find the Nikon c mount adapter for around $50. The other nice thing about it is you can use Nikon G lenses and control the aperture with the plunger. Push the plunger all the way in and the lens opens all the way up. Some folks have figured out a way to attach a screw to the plunger so they can adjust aperture more easily.

djonesii

Workshop Member
I went the C-mount route, it works, and I never use it. The Nikon and Canon lenses are just too big!

I much prefer the Voigtlander and C mount choices that I have in terms of size. I have not done any IQ work at all between the two choices as the size makes the IQ a non issue. The whole point of the G1 is to be a compact package. If I want my Nikon IQ, I will just suffer the D300.

Dave

m3photo

Re: Compact Package

The whole point of the G1 is to be a compact package. If I want my Nikon IQ, I will just suffer the D300.
Dave
You're quite right of course but a part of the photographer's character almost forces him/her to be on the constant look out for that "perfect" combination!
Myself included of course, I'm waiting for the adapter so I can use my 24mm f/2 Nikkor as a walkabout lens for the G1, I don't really think this lens will feel all that large on it and an f/2 is certainly more versatile than f/4.8.

wjlapier

I like the Nikkor 20mm f/4 for it's size and sharpness. But after trying the Canon FD 20mm f/2.8, wow. Huge difference in image quality. The Canon is heavier and bigger, so I kinda prefer the Nikkor. But if I want crazy sharp and a little faster I'll use the Canon.

P

phil

Not sure what Arthur Askey would have made of this lot! He would have though we were busy little bees I suppose!

Godfrey

I like the Nikkor 20mm f/4 for it's size and sharpness. But after trying the Canon FD 20mm f/2.8, wow. Huge difference in image quality. The Canon is heavier and bigger, so I kinda prefer the Nikkor. But if I want crazy sharp and a little faster I'll use the Canon.
the Nikkor 20/3.5AI is a sleeper. Small, light, very sharp.

m3photo

Re: Nikkor 20mm f/3.5

the Nikkor 20/3.5AI is a sleeper. Small, light, very sharp.
Indeed it is. Relatively cheaper and more of them than the f/4. I got one for £170 a couple of months ago. Just half a stop slower than the newer f/2.8 and takes 52mm filters for those of you who haven't seen this lens.