The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C-mount madness

apicius9

Hi,

this is not a show of photographic skills, more a documentation of mental illness ;) I may have gotten carried away a bit with the idea of using c-mount lenses on the G1 :rolleyes: Here is what I currently have - actually, half a dozen cine lenses and about a dozen TV lenses are missing in the picture...

It started out with playing around a bit, not really knowing what I would like. Someone here (sorry, forgot who) said that one should consider prices for lenses like rental fees, they can always be sold without loosing too much - it's all this person's fault, he made me do it ;)

After a few initial ones I snapped up a few 'good deals' on ebay (and of course also a few that turned out not to be such good deals after I saw the lenses in person - like the set of Canon TV lenses in the foreground, some of which have issues...). When I thought I was done, there was this auction in Oregon where they had a few sets including really nice ones (like an Angenieux 25/0.95), and that accounts for more than half of what I have now. Unfortunately, it is much more time consuming to test them than to buy them, so this will be my summer project. The plan is to see what I like and want to keep, others will most likely be appearing on ebay or other places. The Oregon auction lenses just came in today, so there are many in that picture that I haven't even inspected beyond just a quick glance.

What I found out so far is that I really like the Kodaks, Angenieux and - like everyone else - the Kern Paillard lenses. I guess if I had known then what I know now - and much of that knowledge comes from the great info that has been posted here over the last few months - I would go much more for quality and avoid such a quantity. For example, I shyed away from a few Kern Switar 75/1.9 lenses because I had spent too much on others already, and now the prices are in regions where I have a hard time justifying them anymore, especially the highly desirable macro version. What you see here now would have easily financed a Canon 50/0.95, a Macro Switar 75/1.9 and a nice tele prime.

Anyway, just wanted to show the pic which btw wasn't even taken with the G1 - while I was overspending anyway, I just went ahead and also picked up a lightly used LX3. It's definitely not my fault if the economy is suffering...

Stefan

pentacon6

You make the people in this forum extremely jealous! :toocool:
I think you should get a GH1 to let them revitalize in the HD w orld. By the way, Canon TV lens is not bad IMO. 25mm F1.4 is handy and ease to use. May be zoom lenses not good enough, I guess.

Photomorgana

Yes, indeed go for quality and dont forget about comfort. You can have the best lens but if it doesnt fit like a glove :) you will not be using it as much you should.

apicius9

I tried a few zooms but none of them convinced me, so they will all eventually go again. Actually, I was thinking about getting the GH1 just for the match with the TV and movie lenses, but for some reason I am broke at the moment :rolleyes: I would hope that, depending on the movie format of the GH1, maybe even some of the wider ones that have lots of vignetting on the G1 may look better on the GH1. Maybe I should hold of the faster zooms back for that, the Fujinon 12-75 opens up to 1.2, definitely faster than the GH1 kit lens...

I do like the Canon TV lenses - I bought a whole box full of them for what I thought was a very reasonable price so I could pick and choose a bit. There are a few 25/1.4 that are nice enough, but the majority are 12.5/1.3 lenses, and several of them have something I cannot really identify, I may take a few pics and ask eventually. They look like they have some kind of condensation inside? But it doesn't always seem to affect the glass, more the black surfaces inside. Never seen anything like it before.

What made me happy was that I found a total of three 25/0.95 lenses (2 Angenieux, 1 Zeika - whatever that is...) in the Oregon auction lot, that should be fun.

And I also look forward to the Kodak 63/2 and the 40/1.6, they should be nice for portraits, I hope, I prefer them a bit longer than the standard portrait lenses. And finally, I have 4 different 150/4.5 (approx.) c-mount lenses (Kodak, Bell & Howell, Taylor & Hobson, Kern Paillard) and a 1938 Leitz Hektor of the same dimension. I can't wait to test them all against each other...

Stefan

R

robertasumendi

Hi Stefan, the Zeika's have been popping up on Ebay lately.... they're fetching a good price too... interested to see how they perform.

Are you located in Oregon?

apicius9

Hi Stefan, the Zeika's have been popping up on Ebay lately.... they're fetching a good price too... interested to see how they perform.

Are you located in Oregon?
Too cold out there ;) I'm across the pond - in Honolulu.

I'm too tired to do much and it's dark anyway but I checked out a few of the new ones. What I found so far was that

a) some are really ugly and look worn but the glass is nice - that includes the Cooke 25/1.5 which falls off a bit toward the corners but especially at 16/9 it seems very usable;

b) the very worn and ugly looking Bell & Howell Lumax 25/1.9 has a very small rear element but a surprisingly good sensor coverage - not full but more than I expected when I saw the tiny element. I always thought that was an indicator of sensor coverage, but maybe not so much;

c) the Zeika 25/0.95 has a noticeably better sensor coverage than the Angenieux of the same specs. I just took some snaps in a room with just a reading light on and I am amazed by how bright the pictures are- but it's also difficult to get them sharp/focused with the EVF under these conditions. Never had a lens of that speed, so those should really be fun. Oh, and the Zeika also feels more comfortable, the focus ring of the Angenieux is a bit too close to the adapter, and the Zeika is also quite a bit heavier.

Enough for tonight, I see very exciting times ahead of me - but first I have to get the current semester behind me, plenty of student papers to grade in the next 2 weeks...

Stefan

R

retnull

Wow! Impressive collection of lenses, and an impressive case study of mental aberration. :) :) :)

I can say that because I, too, have a c-mount mental illness. I bought 3 lenses:
Kern 25 f1.4
Schnedier Xenoplan 25 f1.9
Angenieux 25 f0.95.

So why do I say I'm mentally ill, if I've bought only 3 lenses?
Because I DON"T EVEN HAVE A G1 YET, or any other camera that can use them!!:wtf::LOL::ROTFL::cry::salute::LOL::clap::wtf:

P

pix2pixels

Apicius,
You don't suffer of any insanity. You just enjoy every moment of it!

The virus caught me although I had sworn to myself to resist. I saw a full Bolex equipment on ebay - about 1940 vintage - with 4 lenses. The description was rather grim - bad condition, but I could not resist a 26mm/1.1 Switar + 3 other lenses at an affordable price. Here the whole assortment and a picture with the 75mm/2.8 Kern Yvar, a little commented lens that delivers extraordinary sharpness

On the camera : Kern Macro Switar 26mm/1.1
Front, left to right: Vario-Switar 18-86mm/2.5 - Switar 25mm/1.4 - Yvar 75mm/2.8

Camille Pissarro Rose by Delbard, 1996

Kern Yvar 75mm/2.8 on the G1 - 1/640 @ f/5.6 - ISO=100 - Raw Therapee

I

izash

Lumicon Zoom 3E

Hi
I can get this 8mm film camera for 20$.
Is the lens a C-Mount?
It looks interesting:
Lumicon Zoom 3E:
Double 8 Silent. Lens: Lumicon VF Zoom f.1.8 F:11mm-33mm zoom ratio 1:3. Speed: 16fps. Automatic Light Meter - Coupled to the Aperture Control (Zero Method). Film Range: ASA 10, 25, 32, 40, 100. Motor: Ratchet Type Winding Spring. Includes: Instruction Booklet and Pistol Grip.