The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

David Pogue's GH1 article

P

pix2pixels

I hope Tokina will make their great 11-16mm f2.8 in a 4/3 mount for Panasonic!!!!

Terry

I would not be sure about the price. I posted here http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7131 a link about the AU price, no one seemed to comment?? :talk028:

If you do the exchange rate calculation it will be more like US$2400. Even if you take into account the bigger market I'm not sure it will make US$1500. ?? So who knows? :eek:

At that US price I can have a holiday in the USA buy a GH1 and pay the tax back here and probably still be better off than the AU price! :toocool:
Panasonic Australia is not a good barometer for pricing. Over the years (and I've owned a number of Panasonic cameras and been active in forums) the Aussies have complained bitterly about pricing and actually order from B&H when the gap is particularly egregious.

P

pix2pixels

Our problem here is that we need a 'PAL' version, capable of shooting 25p, not 30p.

If the G1H is region agnostic, I don't know at this stage. It would be great!

pentacon6

Our problem here is that we need a 'PAL' version, capable of shooting 25p, not 30p.

If the G1H is region agnostic, I don't know at this stage. It would be great!
Sometims you Flat Panel TV may matter on synchronizing with the frequency.
There is not a big problem in HK as most of the HDTV is adjustable to adapter different video system or frequency. The common rate are 50/60i, 50/60p, and frequency can be pushed up to 100/120Hz. We just find that HDTV blur the concept of video system. PAL and NTSC is seldom mentioned this date. If you can't solve the problem, you may play it on your PC.

P

pix2pixels

Pentacon,

Many of us looking at this camera's video features, need to deliver proper 25fps masters to broadcast clients, not something close enough that will be at the mercy of end viewer's TV set. Your suggestion could OK for wedding videos, training or in-store promotion pieces.
Also, 25fps is very close to the 24 fps used for cinema projection, and there are no serious issues about sound if anything needs a cinema print delivery.

Tim

Tim,

I am very annoyed about the Oz RRP too. I don't know if the market will change this, but will have to wait and see. I am sure there will be grey imports, with options to buy the body only or different lens combinations.

Or, who knows, we could hop on a plane, buy one in HK or Singapore, down some noodles and a beer in down town and come back home next morning with a camera at half price.
:D:D hehe, thanks, good to know I'm not the only one. Noodles and beer and a GH1 sounds like a great idea!

Tim

Panasonic Australia is not a good barometer for pricing. Over the years (and I've owned a number of Panasonic cameras and been active in forums) the Aussies have complained bitterly about pricing and actually order from B&H when the gap is particularly egregious.
True Terry, we generally do pay more here, as we are about 10% the USA population I guess we don't have much buying power. :cry:

LizaWitz

The camera shoots 1080p for 25 or 30fps which is absolutely great for those of us who need to supply broadcast material. The 24fps is for the 720p option from what I understand.
Not quite right. The camera supports both NTSC countries and PAL countries. In PAL countries 1080 is 25fps. In NTSC countires 1080 is 24fps.

In 720p mode, it shoots 60fps AVCHD or 30fps MJPEG.

I think outside of Japan NTSC/PAL is a menu option-- but I don't know for sure.

Many of us looking at this camera's video features, need to deliver proper 25fps masters to broadcast clients
You'll be able to do this, in PAL mode the camera is true 25p.

P

pix2pixels

Liza,
I hope you are right. I am looking forward to the release of the camera and trying to get as much info as possible.

24fps is not an issue for me. 25 is good because we can deliver broadcast masters. I just finished shooting a feature with RED ONE and we shot at 25fps instead of 24: no flicker issues with practical discharge lamps (fluoros, street lights), much easier in postproduction and if we get a cinema release, the conversion to 24fps can be done with no hassles.

Also thank you for the post at dvxuser forum. They are very informative and the links you provided should be made in 'sticky'.

iiiNelson

I think the GH1 lends itself more to the consumer than the professional market. I don't think you will get or should even expect Red ONE results. I believe the GH1 will be great for family use, students, and "the YouTube" crowd but I would be really surprised if it delivers professional quality results. You normally can't go by specs alone but It's a digital video camera that's still designed around a standard digital camera model.

Just my opinion and I don't mean to discourage anyone. I'm just somewhat skeptical that it can be a true replacement for those who have demanding video needs.

P

pix2pixels

The GH1 will never compete with REDONE and I'm not kidding myself.
The camera performs well beyond the 'youtube crowd' levels, and I think that with proper exposure and lighting will be a very capable camcorder. The compression it employs is very severe, but according to testers and users is not far from the performance of Sony EX1-3 cameras.

I think I could use it for a variety of documentary pieces, some music videos, and who knows even short. Not for a cinema release, but, I think will probably pass the 720p or 1080i delivery standards for broadcast.

Also, working as a photojournalist as well, I can tell you that we are doing A LOT of 'video' work, for on-line delivery. We have on our website, more video pieces (2-5 mins long) than all TV stations in this town.

The publishing/broadcasting landscape is changing rapidly. As long as I have 'exposure' my work is seen, commented, I am happy.

P

pix2pixels

The GH1 will never compete with REDONE and I'm not kidding myself.
I should have included SCARLET, but that is quite a long way before it will be released (very late 2009 or 2010) and the price difference will not necessarily provide 5 or 8 times better quality images.

If Panasonic will enable HDMI output to be captured, bypassing the internal AVCHD compression, then we can talk about real competition.

iiiNelson

When I was referring to the Youtube crowd I didn't actually mean Youtube itself... I meant web video productions which are usually no larger than 640 x 480(320 x 240 normally though.) I think it's fine for that role and as you put it maybe even documentaries and web shorts. In general I think it will be good for tripod use but I would like to see how well it works "off hand." that's what I'm curious about myself.