The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone around here got an E620 yet?

Brian Mosley

Hi Jono,

yes - plenty of 'first impressions' on our Safari Group site and scattered around dpreview. Have you had a play with one yet?

It's a very exciting camera - a perfect lightweight backup to your E-3.

Cheers

Brian

Brian Mosley

Jono,

I take it from your dpreview post that you're on the way to collect your E-620 now... looking forward to your impressions!

Capture One 4 handles the E-620 raw files with ease.

E-620 + PL 14-150mm OIS
1/60s f/5.6 at 150.0mm iso200

Kind Regards

Brian

jonoslack

HI Brian
yep - I went, I played, I considered . . . and I didn't buy it. There was just some little devil in my head saying:

Yes . . . and if the tobacco tin is announced in 3 weeks and it's weathersealed, how will you feel?

So I thought I'd just wait for the announcement and see. Basically, I want something to go in a belt pouch for riding, small really is an issue, and I thought the E620 with the pancake might be just the ticket . . . and it might easily be, but there is that little devil!

Brian Mosley

I doubt very much whether the first m4/3rds cam from Olympus will be weathersealed... but not that long to wait to have the specs I guess (next month?)

Obviously, the E-620 is a little larger than the E-420 but I much prefer the grip and you do get IS + bright articulating lcd... as well as full compatibility with all 4/3rds lenses.

Have you considered the E-450?

Cheers

Brian

jonoslack

I doubt very much whether the first m4/3rds cam from Olympus will be weathersealed... but not that long to wait to have the specs I guess (next month?)

Obviously, the E-620 is a little larger than the E-420 but I much prefer the grip and you do get IS + bright articulating lcd... as well as full compatibility with all 4/3rds lenses.

Have you considered the E-450?

Cheers

Brian
HI Brian
I hadn't thought of the E-450, but to be honest, if I were going that way I'd probably grab one of the 420's which are currently going for silly money.

But I want the IS - I do agree with you about the weathersealing on the m4/3, but of course it could have other advantages. Worth hanging on to see I think.

Terry

Jono-
I'm so impressed. I guess you also didn't want to have to do an update to the thread of cameras bought and sold in the last two years.

I'm waiting for the m4/3 announcements as well. I'm about to sign up for an Iceland trip so I'm excited to start thing of my gear for that trip. Late July.

jonoslack

Jono-
I'm so impressed. I guess you also didn't want to have to do an update to the thread of cameras bought and sold in the last two years.

I'm waiting for the m4/3 announcements as well. I'm about to sign up for an Iceland trip so I'm excited to start thing of my gear for that trip. Late July.
HI Terry
Thank you - I was a bit impressed as well, especially as I had already negotiated at home.

I'm obviously getting less acquisitive as I get younger (I celebrated my 57th birthday last year, but it has just been pointed out to me that I'm only 56 :ROTFL:)

We're doing a 'working week' in Cornwall in June, and have just booked our flights for Crete in September. Other than that we are firmly intending to go to Iceland (now that it isn't quite so expensive).

Diane B

HI Terry

I'm obviously getting less acquisitive as I get younger (I celebrated my 57th birthday last year, but it has just been pointed out to me that I'm only 56 :ROTFL:)
A 'senior moment' Jono LOL????

I'm impressed too that you didn't 'acquire'--and i'm sort of wondering like Terry if you didn't just want to update your camera list *smile*.

Diane

jonoslack

A 'senior moment' Jono LOL????

I'm impressed too that you didn't 'acquire'--and i'm sort of wondering like Terry if you didn't just want to update your camera list *smile*.

Diane
I like to think of it as a 'getting more junior' moment . . . actually I did the same thing in my 40's, there is something very splendid about finding that you're a year younger than you thought :thumbup::):D

As for the camera list - I have no shame, surely you know that much about me by now!

Robert Campbell

Far be it for me to spoil your enjoyment of getting younger everyday, Jono, but perhaps I should point out that you -- like most of us -- are actually 9 months older than you might like to think...

jonoslack

Far be it for me to spoil your enjoyment of getting younger everyday, Jono, but perhaps I should point out that you -- like most of us -- are actually 9 months older than you might like to think...
HI Robert
I'm not sure quite what to say about this nitpicky remark, except that maybe you should bring the yardarm forward by an hour or so and live up to your signature!
:)

m3photo

OT - Jono Slack's photographs

Thanks for the link to your work. Just had a pleasant while looking at the Suffolk and La Rosière pages. The scarecrow in Nº10 is excellent and the double-entendre in Nº22 made me chuckle. Must say your Black and White images are particularly delicious - Nºs 4 and 18 in the La Rosière set would be well worth seeing at 16x20 on a wall ...

Diane B

Re: OT - Jono Slack's photographs

Thanks for the link to your work. Just had a pleasant while looking at the Suffolk and La Rosière pages. The scarecrow in Nº10 is excellent and the double-entendre in Nº22 made me chuckle. Must say your Black and White images are particularly delicious - Nºs 4 and 18 in the La Rosière set would be well worth seeing at 16x20 on a wall ...
You really don't want to encourage him on LOL (I agree--just have to have an occasional dig at Jono).

Diane

Brian Mosley

Hi Jono,

the E-620 matches very well with the new ZD 14-54mk II, and the lens seems to be better than my old ZD 14-54 (sold a while ago)...

E-620 + ZD 14-54mkII @f5.6

This lens seems super sharp and gives creamy smooth oof areas too!

Kind Regards

Brian

jonoslack

Thank you!
I'm glad you liked them, and thanks even more for saying so :)

Some of the black and white picture of 'ros look like going to the tourist board there.

jonoslack

You really don't want to encourage him on LOL (I agree--just have to have an occasional dig at Jono).

Diane
Gordon Bennett!
first you accuse me of 'senior moments' then tell people not to encourage me!
:p:p:p

I love you too Diane :angry:
:ROTFL:

xx

jonoslack

Hi Jono,

the E-620 matches very well with the new ZD 14-54mk II, and the lens seems to be better than my old ZD 14-54 (sold a while ago)...

E-620 + ZD 14-54mkII @f5.6

This lens seems super sharp and gives creamy smooth oof areas too!

Kind Regards

Brian
Hi Brian
looks nice, and that's a lovely shot . . but, that's one lens I won't be getting, if I do get the E620 (which I will if the m4/3 doesn't come up with the goods), then it'll be for travelling small.

More to the point, if I'm willing to step up a size, then I already have my lovely 12-60, and that 12-14 bit gets used a great deal. My son has nabbed the old 14-54 lens to go with the old E1 which he also nabbed :)

Last edited: