The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone around here got an E620 yet?

Robert Campbell

More seriously, I looked at the Pana G1 and the OLY 620 a couple of days ago. I thought that both of them were too small for me -- it's not that I have very large hands, but they are broad and the fingers relatively short. A problem for me is accidentally hitting the AF/MF button on the OLY 520, and wondering why it won't focus :( and I often get the end of my left fingers in the picture with the 14-42 even with the lens hood on :(

I rather like small/compact SLRs for travel etc, but these two were just too small...the E30 might be the right size -- but perhaps the wrong weight -- but there wasn't one available. Am I the only one with these problems?

Diane B

Re: OT - Jono Slack's photographs

Gordon Bennett!
first you accuse me of 'senior moments' then tell people not to encourage me!
:p:p:p

I love you too Diane :angry:
:ROTFL:

xx
Gordon Bennett!!!!! I had to look that up--never heard nor read it before LOL. So--learned something new from you yet again.

:D:D:D
Diane

Brian Mosley

A couple more from this morning with the E-620... makes a superb walkabout landscape camera.

E-620 + ZD 14-54mkII
1/640s f/5.6 at 24.0mm iso200

1/1000s f/5.6 at 14.0mm iso200

E-620 + ZD 7-14mm f4
1/1000s f/5.6 at 7.0mm iso200

1/1250s f/5.6 at 14.0mm iso200

Kind Regards

Brian

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Brian,

These are beautiful images. Thank you for sharing.

I'm also looking for a smaller body for travel usage. The new GH-1 is very attractive but I have already invested in regular 4/3 lenses, 7-14/4 ZD, 14-50/2,8-3.5 Pana-Leica, 25/1,4 Pana-Leica and 50/2 ZD, for an 'old' Panasonic L-1. So I am thinking about E-620. Since you have used E-520 and G-1, how much improvement do you see in the E-620? Thank you.

Kind regards,

Diane B

Brian, I really liked these. I love the feeling of movement/energy in them--the appearance, at least, of the wind in the trees in several, the clouds. Just a very nice set.

Diane B

Terry

Brian,
Congrats on the new camera. The shots look nice compositionally but the greens seem really yellow to me. I can't tell if it is the distinct color of spring growth, my monitor or the processing.

jonoslack

Brian,
Congrats on the new camera. The shots look nice compositionally but the greens seem really yellow to me. I can't tell if it is the distinct color of spring growth, my monitor or the processing.
Hi Terry
you know about me and greens :D
It really is like that here - and it's windy at the moment as well. There's just a couple of weeks at the beginning of May when the world goes acid green, and it's round about now!

just for terms of reference, here's a picture from one of our lanes with the Sony:

Brian Mosley

Yes, thanks Jono - these colours are true... I'm using a colour managed system.

The contrast in the leaves of the trees, in the strong spring sunlight is astounding right now :bugeyes:

Kind Regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

Brian,

These are beautiful images. Thank you for sharing.

I'm also looking for a smaller body for travel usage. The new GH-1 is very attractive but I have already invested in regular 4/3 lenses, 7-14/4 ZD, 14-50/2,8-3.5 Pana-Leica, 25/1,4 Pana-Leica and 50/2 ZD, for an 'old' Panasonic L-1. So I am thinking about E-620. Since you have used E-520 and G-1, how much improvement do you see in the E-620? Thank you.

Kind regards,
Hi Ocean,

the E-620 is a delightful balance of features and size - the articulating lcd is a significant advantage, together with IS for all lenses (including legacy)... in a body which balances compact size with decent ergonomics.

In short, I think it's about the best camera yet for those who want a compact DSLR.

Kind Regards

Brian

Diane B

Thanks Jono,
I thought that might be the case but just thought I would ask to confirm.
I've noticed that in almost every Brit's landscapes this time of year. Their greens are more yellow than ours--close to what I will see a bit later and towards late Summer (we do have some very light yellowish greens in some trees very early before the leaves are entirely out, but once they are--at least this year, they are GREEN). Right now our greens are SO green--sometimes I've had to go back out and look in the garden or out the window to make sure they aren't 'too'. I find it interesting--but of course, driving around the east coast from north to south, the greens are quite different also.

Diane

jonoslack

I've noticed that in almost every Brit's landscapes this time of year. Their greens are more yellow than ours--close to what I will see a bit later and towards late Summer (we do have some very light yellowish greens in some trees very early before the leaves are entirely out, but once they are--at least this year, they are GREEN). Right now our greens are SO green--sometimes I've had to go back out and look in the garden or out the window to make sure they aren't 'too'. I find it interesting--but of course, driving around the east coast from north to south, the greens are quite different also.

Diane
HI Diane
In the case of my shot with the Oak trees - you have it, the leaves aren't yet completely out. It's also a great IR projector, it was the last straw with me for getting IR filters for everything on the M8.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Hi Ocean,

the E-620 is a delightful balance of features and size - the articulating lcd is a significant advantage, together with IS for all lenses (including legacy)... in a body which balances compact size with decent ergonomics.

In short, I think it's about the best camera yet for those who want a compact DSLR.

Kind Regards

Brian
I have come to Olympus 4/3 through the G1. I am very happy with the G1 because I like the size, the performance, and the ability to accept legacy lenses. I also have a Pentax K10 and some good lenses for it. I have decided to move totally to 4/3, so much of my Pentax stuff will go. I have an RD-1 and a bunch of Leica LTM and M lenses. I also have a some c-mount lenses.
I want another body - shall I buy a GH-1 or move over to an Olympus 4/3 body (I have just one true 4/3 lens, the Oly 9-18)? I like the idea of in-body stabilizations which my K-10 gives me.

Or do I wait for more Micro 4/3 stuff to materialize.

Keith

Last edited:

woodmancy

Subscriber Member

Diane
I've just returned from a short few days in Suffolk - I was born there and now live in Canada. At this time it was late spring, but the range of greens was dramatic - in Canada we only see this for just a couple of weeks, and then go right into summer.

The other thing you notice in these photos from UK is the sky - big puffy clouds and a photographers dream.

Keith

Brian Mosley

Brian, I really liked these. I love the feeling of movement/energy in them--the appearance, at least, of the wind in the trees in several, the clouds. Just a very nice set.

Diane B
Thanks Diane, it was quite blustery... and I got caught in a shower later in the day, but glorious landscape weather :D

The E-620 is certainly small enough to take every time!

Kind Regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

I see that the DNG converter just released supports the E-620...

Good news, now I can use PhotoAcute.

Also, it's been established that ISO 100 has the same (perhaps more) DR as ISO 200... so from now on, despite the need to expose more carefully to avoid blowing highlights I'll be shooting at ISO 100 for landscapes like this :

E-620 + ZD 14-35mm f2 SWD
1/160s f/8.0 at 14.0mm iso100

Cheers

Brian

weaselboy

I've got an E-620 on the way, and I'll be in the mountains next weekend. I'll post some pictures for a greater variety for you to compare.

Bear in mind, I didn't have enough to invest in anything but a couple kit lenses, and it will be my first DSLR, so I can't guarantee pictures of the quality (from a compositional and aesthetics standpoint) as high as what Brian has posted, but I can attest to the "greenness" of the Pacific Northwest. :D ;)

BTW Brian, I love your pictures. The landscapes are absolutely stunning, and you capture them beautifully. The stone wall stands out particularly in my memory as one that made my jaw drop when I first saw it.

Brian Mosley

Hey, congratulations! the kit lenses are super optically and very compact and lightweight... I'm sure you'll love the camera. If you need any help, please feel free to drop me a line.

Also, if you haven't already got a post processing workflow - I'm just preparing a Lightzone video / tutorial... please accept my personal invite to join our Olympus Photo Safari Group here :

http://www.alert-central.co.uk/personalinvite.php?by=Brian Mosley

Kind Regards

Brian

p.s. here's another E-620 simple landscape image...

E-620 +ZD 14-35mm
1/125s f/8.0 at 14.0mm iso100

Kind Regards

Brian

weaselboy

At this point, I really don't have a set workflow. I'm coming from a Canon Powershot S5 IS, and I'm expecting there to be enough changes that I'll have to switch up some of how I used to do things (one of which is finally being able to work with RAW files!) I didn't do much post process work to begin with, and have only recently gone more in depth in an actual post process step. I am very familiar with Photoshop, though. I'll check out your tutorial and the group when I've got some spare time.

Thanks!