The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Konica Hexanon 40mm f/1.8 AR help

Godfrey

I obtained one of these lenses and an adaptation kit based on what I've been seeing from its performance in other people's hands. Installation of the adaptation kit went perfectly, as far as I can see, and the Olympus back cap fits without a hitch.

However, when I try to fit the lens on either the L1 or E-1 bodies, it will not rotate more than about ten degrees on the bayonet mount and doesn't latch into place.

I'd like to talk to someone who has been using this lens successfully.

thanks!

scho

I obtained one of these lenses and an adaptation kit based on what I've been seeing from its performance in other people's hands. Installation of the adaptation kit went perfectly, as far as I can see, and the Olympus back cap fits without a hitch.

However, when I try to fit the lens on either the L1 or E-1 bodies, it will not rotate more than about ten degrees on the bayonet mount and doesn't latch into place.

I'd like to talk to someone who has been using this lens successfully.

thanks!
Godfrey, I've been using the converted 40mm f/1.8 with the MA-1 adapter on my G1 with no problems. Also, just tried it on my E-3 and it mounts perfectly on this camera as well. Only thing I can think of that might not be right with your conversion is that the lens mount might not have been properly aligned when re-installed. You might want to contact Tai for advice. He was quite helpful when I needed help with a different conversion.

Regards,
Carl

M

Mingjai

Godfrey,

About the only thing I can think of is the lens didn't get reassembled properly--you might have rotated the assembly by 45 degrees, so that is affecting how the lens fits on your cameras (while not affecting the lens cap fit).

Godfrey

Thanks for responding.

I thought it was an orientation problem but as far as I can tell it is actually aligned correctly according to the instructions.

Tai said he'd be available to meet up today (he lives about 10 miles away) so we'll look at the assembly together in a little bit.

M

Mingjai

Tai said he'd be available to meet up today (he lives about 10 miles away) so we'll look at the assembly together in a little bit.
Hmm... That's convenient. Just make sure it's in a public place... :p

Diane B

Godfrey, I've been using the converted 40mm f/1.8 with the MA-1 adapter on my G1 with no problems. Also, just tried it on my E-3 and it mounts perfectly on this camera as well. Only thing I can think of that might not be right with your conversion is that the lens mount might not have been properly aligned when re-installed. You might want to contact Tai for advice. He was quite helpful when I needed help with a different conversion.

Regards,
Carl
Since I didn't do the conversion, I could be talking through my hat, but Jim gave me instructions that the lens has to be mounted to the MA-1 adaptor with red dot at about 2 o'clock (I'd say mine was closer to 2:30)--and it just rotates a bit into place--not far.

BTW--I haven't seen Kernow (Jim Thompson) on any of the forums since he did my lens a couple of weeks ago. He is dealing with sickness in his family and caregiving so may not be home to send/receive email.

Diane

Last edited:
M

Mingjai

Sorry, what I meant was that it really is convenient when you live close enough to the online vendor such that you can obtain assistance quickly and easily.

The whole "public place" thing was a reference to the scary things that have happened lately when online buyers/sellers arrange to meet in the real world. The world's not definitely not as safe as it used to be.

Anyway, did you get the issue resolved?

Godfrey

Thank you all for commenting and ideas.
---
The gent who makes the adapter kit lives quite near me so I stopped by his home today and we looked at the problem. The problem is that the shims he's made have a small variance in thickness ... they should be nominally 1.5mm in depth, but vary from 1.49 to 1.63 mm, with most averaging around 1.57-1.59 mm. The one he sent for my lens came in around 1.6mm

This small variance is generally not a problem, but on this particular lens that additional thickness was pushing the bayonet flange just out of tolerance to mate properly. It would mate if a great deal of force was used, but neither he nor I like that.

I've left the lens with him as he had an errand to run, and I'm going to a lecture this evening in SF myself. He'll find a matching thickness shim and fit it to the lens. :)

Very nice guy, we had a good time talking as we worked on the lens. I met his wife and young son while I was there. They've inspired me to put the lens to work ... I want to do a portrait of his family...

---
Frankly, I refuse to participate in the paranoia which is so pervasive in today's society. I can take care of myself in a pinch, and I usually recognize scum pretty fast. I've not found too many scum that got through my personal filter so far. Perhaps I'm lucky...

Godfrey

... kernow

BTW--I haven't seen Kernow (Jim Thompson) on any of the forums since he did my lens a couple of weeks ago. He is dealing with sickness in his family and caregiving so may not be home to send/receive email.
I didn't know that. He did respond to my message on DPR this morning, but I did notice that he's not been around much recently.