The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pancake Al Fresco

Lili

Pancake lens that is, Zuiko 25mm

ISO 100, 1/400sec, F5.0
Love this lens, light, tiny, sharp ;)

jonoslack

Lovely Lili
in fact, you could have taken it in the field behind our house . . . if you did, you'd better drop in for a coffee (or a glass of wine!)

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Lili, what a wonderful picture!

The 25/2.8 pancake seems to have attracted mixed reviews (tiny, discrete, lightweight BUT not really sharp, too much CA, too slow). This image of yours indicates that, in the right hands, it's perfectly capable of yielding excellent results.

Lili

Jonoslack;l lol thanks! Coffee and wine if you please! ;)

Jonathon, thanks awfully, I really like this lens as lot. I think it got a bad rap in most reviews by those that really don't understand what its for..being with one all the time.

Godfrey

Wonderful photo, Lili!

I've been using the ZD 25/2.8 since it came out last year. It is a delightfully compact and high quality performer at an exceptionally good price. I've never understood the misrepresentation of its quality in the review press.

Lili

Wonderful photo, Lili!

I've been using the ZD 25/2.8 since it came out last year. It is a delightfully compact and high quality performer at an exceptionally good price. I've never understood the misrepresentation of its quality in the review press.
Exactly Godfrey, on the bang-for-buck-and-size scale it cannot be beaten!

kdemas

Lili,

Did you get a new lens cap for the pancake? The screw on cap that came with the lens is a nightmare. Ordering a "pincher cap" for mine soon.

It's a nice little lens... I love pancake lenses. My favs are still the Nikkor 45mmP and the Contax 45mm.

Enjoy your lens!

Kent

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
I know that Jono has been thinking seriously about an E-620 + 25/2.8 combo but is holding off until the Olympus micro-4/3rds announcement on June 15. I'm in the same boat.

I had high hopes for Panasonic's 20/1.7 pancake lens but I'm starting to feel pessimistic about it. Based on what they've done with the LX3 and G1, Panasonic's philosophy seems to be: "We'll design our lenses down to a price point and fix the flaws in software." Whereas the Olympus approach has always been: "We'll design the best lenses we can and charge what we have to."

It's all about the lenses so here's hoping for good news on June 15. If not, that E-620 + 25/2.8 combo remains highly appealing.

jonoslack

Lili
Definitely coffee AND wine!

I had the pancake - and loved it (except for the lens cap). But I can't find it . . . . I suspect Silas, he's got my E1, and I think he may have the pancake as well, if not I'm going to have to do a serious hunt!

Jonathon (really hard to type it like that!).
I'd still like an E620, the real reason for holding off was because of RAW support in Aperture . . . BUT I think I can import the files into Capture one and then export as DNG, which Aperture then reads and applies the E30 profile. This is something I can easily deal with, just a little testing to see that it works.

scott kirkpatrick

The pancake was in my pocket and saved me a while back when my 50/2.0 died in action. And afterwards my favorite shots were from the wider field of the 25, with no fallback in clarity over the macro 50. So Jono, call it back, or get a second copy since your E-1 now has its own life.

scott

Lili

Lili,

Did you get a new lens cap for the pancake? The screw on cap that came with the lens is a nightmare. Ordering a "pincher cap" for mine soon.

It's a nice little lens... I love pancake lenses. My favs are still the Nikkor 45mmP and the Contax 45mm.

Enjoy your lens!

Kent
Does Olympus make an elegant pinch-type one? I still use the metal screw-in cap, its a very compact solution for what has become my favorite lens!

Lili

Jonathon, where I starting afresh, I'd go straight to the 620/25 combo like a Duck to water! Compact IS body and tiny exquisite lens! Even Oly's kit lenses perform very well indeed

Jono, Scott is right, the Pancake is addictive ;)

Rick Waldroup

I recently purchased this lens and have really enjoyed using it. It is a great performer, especially for the price, and I simply love the size of it.