The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Black & White pics, show yours !!!

DHart

Thanks!
Those two were taken with an Olympus E-P1 and an Olympus 17mm f/2.8 lens.
Devon... sorry for wasting the bandwidth... I really should have been able to figure that out myself! :( at least which lens, when you said 17mm. But being new to m4/3 and in the Panasonic camp, the Olympus lenses aren't front and center in my mind. I think from now on when someone mentions "the 17mm lens" I will know for sure what lens that is! :rolleyes:

Striking images you have made! They look so classic and timeless... really wonderful. I prefer the snappy contrast your 17 provided vs the softer tonality of the Canon 50. Were the camera and PP settings the same for both the 17mm images as well as the Canon images, with the difference mostly from PP variations? Or are there in-camera setting differences and PP differences which account for the dramatically different contrast levels?

It would be really interesting to see how much difference there is in sharpness and contrast between those two lenses with no other variables in the mix. Is that possible to show us?

Last edited:
D

Devon Shaw

Devon... sorry for wasting the bandwidth... I really should have been able to figure that out myself! :( at least which lens, when you said 17mm. But being new to m4/3 and in the Panasonic camp, the Olympus lenses aren't front and center in my mind. I think from now on when someone mentions "the 17mm lens" I will know for sure what lens that is! :rolleyes:

Striking images you have made! They look so classic and timeless... really wonderful. I prefer the snappy contrast your 17 provided vs the softer tonality of the Canon 50. Were the camera and PP settings the same for both the 17mm images as well as the Canon images, with the difference mostly from PP variations? Or are there in-camera setting differences and PP differences which account for the dramatically different contrast levels?

It would be really interesting to see how much difference there is in sharpness and contrast between those two lenses with no other variables in the mix. Is that possible to show us?
I think most of what you are seeing is post processing, as looking back at those images I realize they went through a bit.

Of the various lenses I have used with my E-P1 (Olympus kit 14-42, Canon FD 50mm f/1.8, Canon FD 35-105 f/3.5, Telesar FD 35mm f/3.5, Telesar FD 135mm f/3.5, LTM Leica 35mm f/3.5, LTM Canon Serenar 85mm f/2.0, LTM Leica 50mm f/2.0, Canon FL 55mm f/1.2) I have been most impressed with the performance of the FD 50mm f/1.4 and the 17mm f/2.8 as far as technical image quality goes.

As far as a comparison between the lenses, this won't be the most scientific, but I do have a couple of examples,

This photograph was taken with the 17mm yesterday,
settings were f/2.8 1/80s iso400

a crop from that,

This was taken with the 50mm f/1.4 about a month ago,
settings were f/2.0 1/160 iso800 +.07ev

and a crop from that image,

it occurs to me that the difference in iso settings probably have a bit of an impact, but even with that I feel these images do a reasonable job of showing what these lenses are capable of.

edit: occurs to me that this might be a better example of 17mm's quality.. though a bit processed.. don't have an original on this hard drive...
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2587/4145269186_4a685be948_o.jpg

edit#2: oh right, settings for that last one... f/2.8 iso160 1/500s... I hope this all ended up being coherent.. time for sleep.

Last edited:
D

David_L

Hi Everyone

This is my first post. Been admiring all your work for a while now, and just recently got an E-P1. While i am no where near as good as you guys, i am looking forward to learning and hopefully getting better as time goes on.

So, here is my first pic upload.

Please feel free to C&C. All appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

David

D

David_L

Forgot. .

Camera settings:eek:

Olympus 17mm-f2.8 lens at . . . .f2.8, 1/20, ISO1600

David.

Brian Mosley

Nice expression, well captured David.

I dug out the Hexanon 40mm f1.8 pancake yesterday - the E-P2 EVF changes the dynamic of manual focusing with the Pen... not necessarily better to be honest (once you're comfortable with LCD framing/focusing).

E-P2 + Hexanon 40mm f1.8
1/80s f/2.8 iso200

Cheers

Brian

Amin

One from yesterday, processed from RAW on a netbook without my usual software (on vacation), G1 & 14-45:

Amin

Thanks Keith! Couple more from yesterday, same camera and lens:

Last edited:

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Nice expression, well captured David.

I dug out the Hexanon 40mm f1.8 pancake yesterday - the E-P2 EVF changes the dynamic of manual focusing with the Pen... not necessarily better to be honest (once you're comfortable with LCD framing/focusing).

E-P2 + Hexanon 40mm f1.8
1/80s f/2.8 iso200

Cheers

Brian
Brian - I have just received my copy of this lens, based on your's and other's good reports on it. Haven't yet had a chance to test it.

I hope your daughter is reading this, because she should be charging you modeling fees :clap: Lovely image, as always

Keith

scho

Fog, snow, drizzle, and somewhere out there is a lake. Panasonic G1-IR and 14-45 kit lens.

Brian Mosley

Thanks Keith,

I'm sure you'll love the lens... and for your next temptation?

E-P2 + Hexanon 57mm f1.2
1/125s f/1.8 iso640

E-P2 + Hexanon 57mm f1.2
1/125s f/1.8 iso160

Cheers

Brian

scho

Winter landscape taken with the G1-IR and 14-45 kit lens. I put up a few more in false color IR in the image sharing forum.

scho

Hi Carl,

This is one of the very best images in this thread! Best regards, Leica 77.
Thank you Leica 77. This is one of our favorite places for an afternoon walk and this is one of the first scenes I photographed in digital infrared 11 years ago with an un-modified Nikon Coolpix 950 and a B+W 093 filter.