The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Black & White pics, show yours !!!

biglouis

Do 4/3rd's cameras take better b&w pictures? Some more very fine examples - difficult to pick out individuals to praise as they are all of a very high standard.

LouisB

W

Wesson

The reason I chose to buy to buy a GF1 was the quality of the B/W pictures posted here, by others. Truly some of the pictures are spectacular.

A bit reluctant to post but

This is the sort of snap that I reckon the GF1 is ideal for. Taken late afternoon in January in the rain, almost dark. Jpeg file, 20mm @ F2.2 400ISO Using B/W Dynamic setting. IIRM.

A crop from the above. 30kb kb file !!!!!! Very Filmic, is that a word? I reckon this 4/3 thingy is the way to go, at least for me. Anyone want to buy a wardrobe of Nikon stuff, all the latest mint except a trifle dusty.?:cry:

Wesson.

Last edited:

m3photo

Re: Bus Stop

This is the sort of snap that I reckon the GF1 is ideal for. Taken late afternoon in January in the rain, almost dark. Jpeg file, 20mm @ F2.2 400ISO Using B/W Dynamic setting. IIRM.
Anyone want to buy a wardrobe of Nikon stuff, all the latest mint except a trifle dusty?
An excellent shot. It made me look twice as I initially took it as two images. Yes the B&W is good in these cameras isn't it? They render clouds beautifully too.

What's in the wardrobe by the way? I still use Nikon gear ...

scho

EP2 with Contax 50mm planar
Very nice mistercheah. I like the low key composition and texture.

The reason I chose to buy to buy a GF1 was the quality of the B/W pictures posted here, by others. Truly some of the pictures are spectacular.
Wesson.
Nice shot Wesson. Good compostion and tonality. The GF1 does make a great little B&W street camera.

W

Wesson

What's in the wardrobe by the way? I still use Nikon gear ...
Too much. D200, D300, 12-24mm,18-50mm, 20mm F2.8,24mm F2.8, 35mm F2,50mm F1.4,85mm F1.4. Michael. Non of which have ever been taken further then the end of the drive, too heavy. So why did I buy them? Habit, a lifetime of an addiction worse than Nicotine in many ways.

Thank you Carl. Yes, when/if a small range of fast primes become available so that they can be used with appropriate clip -on optical viewfinders I shall be happy.The GF1 does indeed make a lovely reportage camera. In fact mine is set up more or less as a film camera I don't change much.

W

Wesson

Thanks for the reply. The 85mm would be the only one of any interest to me as I have the others covered.

I can thoroughly recommend the 85mm F1.4 it's a classic. Everybody should have, but I don't get rid of anything, I've still got the Ensign Selfix 16/20 that my dad bought me 55 years ago.:)

Shawn those B/W are something else Any chance of a hint re your method? Please.

Wesson

Last edited:

mathomas

Great photos in this thread!

Here are a couple of mine, with a challenge:

Which one's film, and which is digital?
(well, they're both digital now, but you know what I mean)