The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Black & White pics, show yours !!!

D

Devon Shaw

Michael and Tullio, I appreciate your comments immensely.

Tullio, I definitely plan on making my next camera system one with more autofocus lenses available. I decided this last week when taking pictures of my school's dance company in their studio. They were moving too fast for me to use focus assist and so the majority of my shots came out blurry. I ended up switching to a pretty slow shutter speed so I good get a bit more depth of field and tried to capture movement instead of my initial goal of freezing the action. Chicago was a bit easier as I could predict more where people were going and they stood still a lot more as well as having the stage lights to help me..

Thanks again everyone!

scho

Waterfront willows starting to green up a little and take on a nice glow in infrared. I think the channel in soft ice on the inlet was made by an anxious crew member who can't wait for spring to come. Shot with the G1-IR and Carl Zeiss 2/45 Planar G. Processed and split toned in LR.

Leica 77

Waterfront willows starting to green up a little and take on a nice glow in infrared. I think the channel in soft ice on the inlet was made by an anxious crew member who can't wait for spring to come. Shot with the G1-IR and Carl Zeiss 2/45 Planar G. Processed and split toned in LR.

Hi Carl,
Another excellent image -- this time with the G1-IR + Carl Zeiss 2/45 Planar G combo. The huge willow trees are simply beautiful. All the best, Leica 77. :)

scho

Hi Carl,
Another excellent image -- this time with the G1-IR + Carl Zeiss 2/45 Planar G combo. The huge willow trees are simply beautiful. All the best, Leica 77. :)
Thank you Leica 77. The willows are my favorite trees in this area - first to green up in the spring and they hold the last bit of golden yellow in the fall landscape.

Tullio

Tullio, I definitely plan on making my next camera system one with more autofocus lenses available. ...
Yes, that's certainly a big limitation of the m4/3. One alternative is to buy either the Lumix or the Oly 4/3 to m4/3 adapter and then get some of the 4/3 ZD lenses. This should work just fine with the Oly m4/3 cameras but not so well with the G1/GH1/GF1 as most Zuiko 4/3 lenses are not compatible with these Pana models and will not AF. I'm seriously looking into the Pentax K-x system as I already have several very decent Pentax K mount lenses and they will AF on any Pentax body.

D

Devon Shaw

One of the first pics taken with G1 w 14-45mm at high iso, like the feel this pc.

Nice shot. I like how the thing on the wall looks as if it is coming out of your model's head like a thought bubble..

Yes, that's certainly a big limitation of the m4/3. One alternative is to buy either the Lumix or the Oly 4/3 to m4/3 adapter and then get some of the 4/3 ZD lenses. This should work just fine with the Oly m4/3 cameras but not so well with the G1/GH1/GF1 as most Zuiko 4/3 lenses are not compatible with these Pana models and will not AF. I'm seriously looking into the Pentax K-x system as I already have several very decent Pentax K mount lenses and they will AF on any Pentax body.
That's a good point, though, for me the only time I really see the need for AF is to catch quick moving subjects or moments that I am not fast enough for, like those dancers and I think with the contrast detect AF of the E-P1 I would end up reverting back to manual focus even with 4/3 lenses.

One thing my experience with the E-P1 has really shown me is that it is definitely worth looking at cameras made by companies beyond just Canon or Nikon. When I was initially shopping for an upgrade to my G9 I pretty much was only looking at bottom tier Canon and Nikon DSLRs as well as the Pana G1 for it's small size. Then the E-P1 was released and that was without a doubt the best choice for me at that time with its combination of price, size, and quality. When I start shopping for my next work camera which will most likely be a DSLR I will definitely be taking a good look at all the options out there and not be so narrow minded.

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

Devon, you make this place much richer by your posting... please post more, not less! :D

Some really beautiful work in this thread, thanks everyone for sharing.

E-P1 + mZD 14-42mm f3.5-5.6
1/25s f/5.6 at 42.0mm iso640

Cheers

Brian

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
GF1 with Konica 40mm f1.8 and Chinese adapter, wide open at 1/60, converted in CS:

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Devon, you make this place much richer by your posting... please post more, not less! :D

Some really beautiful work in this thread, thanks everyone for sharing.

E-P1 + mZD 14-42mm f3.5-5.6
1/25s f/5.6 at 42.0mm iso640

Cheers

Brian
I really like it, Brian. But as you know, I'm a bokeh man, and I see some double line bokeh in the background, so that won me over :deadhorse:

Keith

D

Devon Shaw

Thanks Brian!

Yesterday in class..
E-P1 with Canon FD 50mm f/1.4

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Thanks Brian!

Yesterday in class..
E-P1 with Canon FD 50mm f/1.4

She looks really focused on what the Prof is saying :ROTFL:

But the photographer can walk and chew gum at the same time. Wish I was back at school, knowing what I know now :)

Lovely picture

Keith