The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Black & White pics, show yours !!!

Friedel

Karl... there is an amazing crispness and contrast in the Lord of Magazines (as well as the Paris images you've posted). Do you attribute the bulk of that to the Silver EFX B&W conversion? Your images here sent me to view your Flickr gallery, which is wonderful.

I noticed that you have used a GF-1, E-PL1, and NEX. I'm deep into the Lumix m4/3 system with GF-1, GH2, and a bunch of lenses. I have considered adding an E-PL2 for the internal IS for use with legacy lenses, but have concerns about mixing in another user interface to have to deal with (the Oly user interface). As a user of both GF-1 and E-PL1, what are your thoughts on going back and forth between these two cameras?
Thank you, DHart. The two shots were made with the m zuiko 9-18 at 9 mm. Silver efex I used first time for the 6 pictures shown in this thread. I don't think you can get this special look with LR 3, I tried, but I wasn't successfull. The older pics were converted in LR3.
I like the GF-1 very much, for me it has the best interface, but now the dealbreaker is the VF-2, wich I use with the E-PL1, so mostly I take this camera with me. I tested the nex for a short time with legacy lenses, but I think I don't keep it, although the high ISO is very good. But: no IS and no viewfinder! I hope, I could answer your questions, (sorry for my bad english)

Karl

Friedel

Karl,

could you share your Silver Efex 2 preset?

Uwe
Uwe, "Dollar Bar" is an amazing set. :thumbup:
With the above pictures I used the preset 024: full contrast and structure, then I adjusted the global settings to my taste and choosed a film profile.

Karl

DHart

Karl... thanks for sharing your method. I almost bought Silver Efex Pro a year ago, but just couldn't bring myself to part with that much money to make B&Ws. There are so very many ways to make great B&Ws otherwise, but still... seeing what you did with it makes me return to considering buying it again. This time I may not be able to resist! Your images with the old and new architecture, of the Paris rooftops, the Lord of Magazines are all really wonderful.

I agree with you on the GF-1... I love the camera and the interface is great. I can make do with the EVF on it, even though the resolution of it isn't great... it does help greatly with composition and shooting under very bright ambient light circumstances. I just love the Lumix interface and having the GF-1, GH2, and now the LX5, I'm pretty deeply rooted in "Panny world." It looks like I'll stay there until something comes along that is so superior it makes me reconsider.

kweide

Jorgen, i cannot remember you ever did a b&w picture. So i think this is Number 1. Am i right ?? Number 1 is impressive. Like it much.

Klaus

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks, both of you.

It's not my first b&w Klaus, but maybe the first I've posted on the 4/3 forum. I also do b&w film, scanning some right now.

DHart

Thanks, Karl, for the tips on Silver Efex Pro 2. I found that if you buy the older version (at B&H for $129), you can upgrade to the new Pro 2 version at no cost. So I decided to take the plunge. Downloaded the free 15-day trial of Pro 2 to tide me over until I get the B&H order. Went out on the property today to play a little with a newly acquired Canon FDn 135mm f/2.8 legacy lens. Took one of the images into Silver Efex Pro 2 and played a little. Wonderful program.. can't wait to apply it to more images. Here's one from today of my constant companion, "Harley".

GH2 w/ Canon FDn 135mm f/2.8 lens @f/2.8. ISO 160. RAW file processed in Silver Efex Pro 2.

Regarding the lens... 270mm f/2.8 equivalent feels pretty long for hand holding, but it works. I love this lens. Great subject isolation for m4/3 format, which is my primary reason for acquiring my legacy lenses. I love the results for portraits.

DHart

Hey Jorgen... thanks buddy, I appreciate you kind remarks. Of course, I'm a bit partial to the subject, myself. He's happy to pose for me whenever I ask. ;-) And I'm thinking I need to mount this Canon 135/2.8 more often.

J

jjsemple

I liked nothing about the original color image, not the composition, not the color. The only thing I liked was the woman talking on her cell phone. Perhaps it might work in B&W.

How, I asked myself, might I feature the woman in color and the rest in B&W? I had never tried masking a subject then reimporting it onto its original background after transforming the background to B&W and processing it.

This is the Photoshop result:

Olympus E-PL1, Lumix 7-14mm, 1/880 sec @f/6.3, ISO 200

JJ Semple
Camera Obscura

Last edited: