The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

has anyone here ever tried this ??

scho

I rigged a makeshift adapter for the G1 on my Tachihara 4x5 using a piece of gatorfoam board with a hole cut in the center to hold my Canon FD to m4/3 adapter. Attached the G1 and put my Rodenstock APO Sironar-S 135mm f/5.6 on the 4x5. Just hand held this assembly together on my desk and took a shot across the room of a table lamp. Easy to focus and reasonably sharp. Problem is the G1 grip which sticks out too far - really need an extension tube on the adapter to get enough clearance to the adapter board. Left side of the image is OOF because the board wasn't square and I didn't apply any swing to compensate. I also don't know if this would focus to infinity for landscape work. If the adapter board is cut long enough it would be quite easy to shift the G1 on the 4x5 and use rise/fall to get multiple rows for stitching.

scho

Some more test shots today with the G1+Tachihara 4x5 and Rodenstock APO Sironar-S 135mm f/5.6. Put the homemade set-up on a sturdy tripod and tried a few shots from my deck. Will try some multi-row stitching later this week.

Self-portrait:

scho

Some stitched shots using the G1+Tachihara 4x5.

Three shot vertical using rise/fall:

Five shot stitch using the homemade sliding back:

Four shot vertical using rise/fall:

scho

I'm still looking at options for a G1+4x5 stitching platform. Now trying a Shen-Hao sliding back with a Canon EOS mount plus an EOS to m4/3 adapter from RJ. Very nice, compact platform for stitching on a PTB45, but way too much extension. The EOS mount +adapter puts the G1 sensor more than two inches in back of the 4x5 film plane. I think that I can cut the extension down at least by half and get a more comfortable working arrangement. Had to use my Fujinon 240mm f/9 to get this stitch from 8 overlapping frames in portrait orientation.

Zoomify

f6cvalkyrie

Thank you Rafael. I look forward to seeing more from your set-up with the Sinar.

Carl
Me too, I'm anxious to continue on this track, but it has been consistently very windy here for approx 2 weeks. And today, rain is pouring down from the sky :thumbdown::thumbdown:
No way that I can focus the SINAR outside in these conditions :mad::mad:

But, as soon as the wind calms down ......

C U,
Rafael

scho

I'm still looking at options for a G1+4x5 stitching platform. Now trying a Shen-Hao sliding back with a Canon EOS mount plus an EOS to m4/3 adapter from RJ. Very nice, compact platform for stitching on a PTB45, but way too much extension. The EOS mount +adapter puts the G1 sensor more than two inches in back of the 4x5 film plane. I think that I can cut the extension down at least by half and get a more comfortable working arrangement. Had to use my Fujinon 240mm f/9 to get this stitch from 8 overlapping frames in portrait orientation.
]
Here are a couple of shots of the stitching set-up:
Shen-Hao PTB45 w/ Fujinon A 240mm f/9 lens+Digital Adapter Back w/ EOS Mount+EOS to m4/3 Adapter +Panasonic G1

E

elf

How is the adaptor fastened to the sliding plate? Could you just replace that piece with the first section (lens mount) from a set of plain extension tubes?

scho

How is the adaptor fastened to the sliding plate? Could you just replace that piece with the first section (lens mount) from a set of plain extension tubes?
The EOS adapter is just attached to the sliding plate with three small screws and some sticky glue under the flange (not very secure). It is easily removed and now I just need to find a shorter tube to replace it.