The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic to make M & R adaptors for G1!

jonoslack

HI There
I've just seen this on dpreview:
Panasonic M & R adaptors

I think it's fascinating because it shows that they've realised the great potential of using other lenses with the G1. It also says that they've been made in conjuction with Leica . . . so perhaps they've had a change of heart about m4/3 as well.

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Interesting - maybe this also suggests that Panasonic will try to solve the "smearing" problem in the next generation of the G1

Terry

It is a problem in the corners on wide lenses. I did ask the question when I was at PMA. I was told if they launch an adapter the lenses will work an not produce problematic images. This led me to believe that perhaps the corner problem was related to software corrections in camera. However, I'm not sure how much the rep knew of the issues. It will be interesting to see if it is a "smart" adapter.

jonoslack

It is a problem in the corners on wide lenses. I did ask the question when I was at PMA. I was told if they launch an adapter the lenses will work an not produce problematic images. This led me to believe that perhaps the corner problem was related to software corrections in camera. However, I'm not sure how much the rep knew of the issues. It will be interesting to see if it is a "smart" adapter.
HI Terry
Interesting - when I was using it I was shooting RAW using either standard 4/3 lenses or leica M lenses and converting the RAW files to .dng files (not the huge linear files created when using the panasonic m4/3 lenses). I didn't see the smearing on those.

I didn't think that lens correction information was included on the non m4/3 lenses (which is why it'll create a standard dng).

Terry

HI Terry
Interesting - when I was using it I was shooting RAW using either standard 4/3 lenses or leica M lenses and converting the RAW files to .dng files (not the huge linear files created when using the panasonic m4/3 lenses). I didn't see the smearing on those.

I didn't think that lens correction information was included on the non m4/3 lenses (which is why it'll create a standard dng).
Yup, which is why I almost didn't make my post. I guess it will be a wait and see and then test camera/lens/adapter combos.

mreddington

It's also interesting that "These adaptors also allow users to use the movable MF assist function, which enlarges the selected area when focusing manually." This sets these adaptors apart from the others on the market. Goodbye to thumb gymnastics!

There is reference in the dpreview item on a forthcoming information on lens compatibility so let's hope the adaptors are not somehow restricted.

Martin

Ben Rubinstein

Fascinating. Panasonic seem to have originally marketed these cameras for the usual football moms but given the pricing of the GH-1 and this announcement it looks like they've discovered that there's a much more interesting market to tap into and one with little to no competition.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
HI Terry

Jono,
I have used a variety of M mount lenses on mine. Before I upgraded to CS4 and had G1 support in Bridge, I converted my files to DNG. I never saw the smearing that was reported by others, even with the CV 28 f/1.9.
I love the G1 and am so happy that the development continues.:thumbs:

jonoslack

Jono,
I have used a variety of M mount lenses on mine. Before I upgraded to CS4 and had G1 support in Bridge, I converted my files to DNG. I never saw the smearing that was reported by others, even with the CV 28 f/1.9.
I love the G1 and am so happy that the development continues.:thumbs:
HI Cindy - do you mean you still don't see it when using CS4 and Bridge?
Certainly, it was nothing to do with IQ which drove me away (it was raw support and the EVF). I'm almost certain I'll be around again when the Olympus offering appears.

It's also interesting that "These adaptors also allow users to use the movable MF assist function, which enlarges the selected area when focusing manually." This sets these adaptors apart from the others on the market. Goodbye to thumb gymnastics!

There is reference in the dpreview item on a forthcoming information on lens compatibility so let's hope the adaptors are not somehow restricted.

Martin
Just don´t see how they would do it... After all, neither M nor (at least older) R lenses have anything in them that could signal that they´re in the process of being focussed (that is, that the focussing ring is being turned), so no way of activating MF assist automatically. Those lenses that now allow it are all of the focus-by-wire type.

The only thing they might do is signal the presence of a lens in the mount, so there would be no need to set the "work w/o lens" option in the menu; otherwise they should work like the Novoflex adapter, no more. And so the thumb gymnastics would still be needed.....

Well, sincerely hope I´m wrong....:eek:

Last edited:

Terry

Just don´t see how they would do it... After all, neither M nor (at least older) R lenses have anything in them that could signal that they´re in the process of being focussed (that is, that the focussing ring is being turned), so no way of activating MF assist automatically. Those lenses that now allow it are all of the focus-by-wire type.

The only thing they might do is signal the presence of a lens in the mount, so there would be no need to set the "work w/o lens" option in the menu; otherwise they should work like the Novoflex adapter, no more. And so the thumb gymnastics would still be needed.....

Well, sincerely hope I´m wrong....:eek:
I thought the same as you. If you read the wording carefully, It just sounds like how we currently use the lenses.

Diane B

I thought the same as you. If you read the wording carefully, It just sounds like how we currently use the lenses.
I thought the same. I don't own any Leica lenses so this is rather moot for me, but if I stick with the m4/3rds format (no reason to suggest I won't) and perhaps even make it my 'main' system in the future, then there's always the possibility I may add other used MF lenses--so I am still interested in whatever is offered. I just don't see how a manual focus as we use on the Panasonic AF lenses could be implemented with an adaptor--but I'm always open to learning something new.

Diane

V

valtof

It's also interesting that "These adaptors also allow users to use the movable MF assist function, which enlarges the selected area when focusing manually." This sets these adaptors apart from the others on the market. Goodbye to thumb gymnastics!Martin
I'm not sure I understand how this will work, in fact, how it already works with the kit lens neither.
Is there some "electronic" between the lens and the camera (through the mount 's connectors) detecting that the focus ring is turned thus activating the MF assistance ?
Therefore, if I'm not wrong, I just can't see how it could work with a totally mechanical lens...
Moreover, I don't understand why this MF assist should only work with a dedicated Lumix adapter, whatever the mount used.

There would be in my opinion a far much simple solution : to have the option (in the menu) to set the MF assist to be actioned only pressing the shutter (instead of keeping exposure), exactly like it already works to quit the MF assist : you press the shutter and go back to full frame.

Another argument for this : if the MF assist function is automatically activated when you turn your focus ring, then you're obliged to focus with the assistance even if it's not necessary or if you just don't want to.
When I use my 50Lux (especially wide open), they are many situations where the MF assist is unnecessary and a waste of time.

Anyway, that would be something to put on top of my wish list.
Any opinion welcome...

monza

The quote from Dpreview is "These adaptors also allow users to use the movable MF assist function, which enlarges the selected area when focusing manually."

This is the true of all other lens adapters.

mreddington

All you've discovered is that all converters do the job . . . .
Indeed, Jono, and I'm not complaining! It's great to be able to use M glass at a higher effective focal length. As you and others have said, Panasonic seem to be taking this option seriously.