The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Stupid question: any way to make focus assist automatic?

H

heavyharmonies

I'm using a Sigma 150mm macro lens (4/3 mount) with the G1 via the DMW-MA1 adapter.

Is there any way to set focus assist so that it is automatic, i.e., when the focus ring is moved on the lens, it automatically jumps into focus assist mode without having to hit buttons?

I'm a bit fumble-fingered and I like to take my time getting precise focus (I only shoot inanimate objects), so having to constantly re-enter focus assist because it times out is insanely annoying...

Or is there a menu setting I'm missing?

M

milapse

As far as I understand it.. Unlike the kit lens there are no electronics inside your 3rd party lens to communicate the fact that your turning the focus ring.

leuallen

Hello Heayharmonics,

I do a lot of macro too. The bit about timing out focus assist leads me to believe that you have the original firmware which did that. The latest firmware does not timeout which gives you plenty of time to focus. I have no problem focusing macro, in fact it is great.

How do you like the Sigma 150mm. I was thinking of maybe getting it because I like a long lens for the macro. I currently use a 90mm 2.5 Tamron and a Tokina ATX 4.0 100-300 zoom. The Tokina focuses pretty close and is sharp. I generally use it at 300mm, sometimes with tubes.

Larry

H

heavyharmonies

I do a lot of macro too. The bit about timing out focus assist leads me to believe that you have the original firmware which did that. The latest firmware does not timeout which gives you plenty of time to focus. I have no problem focusing macro, in fact it is great.
Uhh... firmware for the camera, the lens, or?

How do you like the Sigma 150mm. I was thinking of maybe getting it because I like a long lens for the macro. I currently use a 90mm 2.5 Tamron and a Tokina ATX 4.0 100-300 zoom. The Tokina focuses pretty close and is sharp. I generally use it at 300mm, sometimes with tubes.

Larry
The 150mm is the longest working distance macro lens I've used (I also have a 35mm Zuiko and temporarily had a Nikkor f4 105mm). The long working distance really helps with the ability to light the subject. I've not worked with a whole lot of different lenses, and this is my first non-point-and-shoot camera, so I'm afraid I'm not a whole lot of help in terms of evaluating the sharpness of the lens or other attributes.

An example (Southern Rhodesia shilling from 1932; roughly the size of a U.S. quarter):

H

heavyharmonies

As far as I understand it.. Unlike the kit lens there are no electronics inside your 3rd party lens to communicate the fact that your turning the focus ring.
Really? The Sigma is an autofocus lens. Or do you mean that because the lens mates with the DMW-MA1 rather than directly with the G1, that they don't communicate?

Here is the exact Lens I'm using.

leuallen

The firmware you need is for the camera body. It is available on the Panasonic web pages. I don't have the url, so just google and you will find it. It makes manual focusing much better.

Larry