The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Move to G1 from a D-Lux 4?

agoglanian

I've been toying with the idea of selling my D-Lux for and getting a starter G1 kit, with the idea of expanding it in the future.

Obviously it is physically larger, and the kit lens isn't nearly as fast. But is the IQ that much better?

Or would it benefit me to wait for the impending release of the Olympus "Pen Digital"?

I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Well, I own both; I wouldn´t part with either....

They´re different animals altogether. The IQ from the DL4 is great; the jpg´s are equal to those from my Digilux 2 (handling isn´t), and that´s saying a LOT (remember, IQ isn´t the same as resolution!). But it´s a small sensor camera.

The G1 doesn´t have that "Leica glow" (unless one uses Leica glass via an adapter, which is one of the reasons I won´t part with my G1), but shooting raw and doing some rudimentary PP takes it quite close. And it´s a big sensor, which does make a difference in several ways. Also, it works faster and is easier to see what you´re doing in the finder.

By all means, wait to see the Olympus if you can! It doesn´t look like it will be able to do some things the G1 can, but knowing is better than guessing....

iiiNelson

I wouldn't part with either myself and I find them to be quite complimentary to each other. I use both as well but only in RAW.

The G1 has the potential for better images through adapted lenses and a larger sensor. The D-Lux is a nearly perfect compact zoom camera and doesn't do anything bad really (outside limited zoom range and ergonomics for people with larger hands.)

agoglanian

I definitely do have large hands. I mean, my fingers are a normal width so I can easily manipulate dials and small buttons. (I can type fast on an iPhone, that's saying something!) While I do prefer the physical feel of larger cameras, I can still work with small ones.

You both bring up interesting points. I pretty much only shoot the D-Lux 4 in RAW, but the few jpgs I did do ( in dynamic B&W ) were absolutely outstanding!

I certainly am very very partial to the camera, I love it so much more than the Canon G7 I used to have. I still do like the G10 a lot, but I prefer having the 24mm f/2 lens.

I am well versed in IQ in relation to megapixels and sensor size, pixel pitch, you name it. So I'm pretty comfortable working with most anything. I have just been intrigued by the G1 (and the forthcoming Olympus) as a dream small camera.

If I could change things on the D-Lux, I would make it a 24-105 lens, and I would have it not be a zoom, but rather "selectable focal lengths" akin to Leica's Tri-Elmar lens. How awesome would it be to move between the major FLs. 24/28/35/50/85/105. Then you would know exactly which FL you were at instead of trying to guess.

I guess the only thing holding me back is the fact I'd have to buy lenses for the G1, and I'd have to start buying M mount lenses which will get me into big trouble! (I've been down the M-system road before!)

Thanks for your input guys, I'll probably just be keeping the Dlux4 and be happy :)

Godfrey

I definitely do have large hands. I mean, my fingers are a normal width so I can easily manipulate dials and small buttons. (I can type fast on an iPhone, that's saying something!) While I do prefer the physical feel of larger cameras, I can still work with small ones.

You both bring up interesting points. I pretty much only shoot the D-Lux 4 in RAW, but the few jpgs I did do ( in dynamic B&W ) were absolutely outstanding!

I certainly am very very partial to the camera, I love it so much more than the Canon G7 I used to have. I still do like the G10 a lot, but I prefer having the 24mm f/2 lens.

I am well versed in IQ in relation to megapixels and sensor size, pixel pitch, you name it. So I'm pretty comfortable working with most anything. I have just been intrigued by the G1 (and the forthcoming Olympus) as a dream small camera.

If I could change things on the D-Lux, I would make it a 24-105 lens, and I would have it not be a zoom, but rather "selectable focal lengths" akin to Leica's Tri-Elmar lens. How awesome would it be to move between the major FLs. 24/28/35/50/85/105. Then you would know exactly which FL you were at instead of trying to guess.

I guess the only thing holding me back is the fact I'd have to buy lenses for the G1, and I'd have to start buying M mount lenses which will get me into big trouble! (I've been down the M-system road before!)

Thanks for your input guys, I'll probably just be keeping the Dlux4 and be happy :)

I work with the G1 alongside the Panasonic L1 and Olympus E-1. It produces superb image quality, and isn't too small for my largish hands, although the controls aren't laid out as nicely as either the other two. The viewfinder, on the other hand, is perhaps the best viewfinder for manual focus I've found: better than nearly all of my 35mm film SLRs and on par with my Pentax 645.

The G1's standard lens is really quite good, but it's somewhat slow. I use the Olympus ZD 25/2.8 on it quite a lot, as well as an Olympus Pen F 40mm f/1.4, Konica Hexanon 40/1.8, Olympus Pen F 70/2, and Nikkor 20/3.5.

Leica glow? There's no denying that Leica lenses are very nice but really ... comparing a $100 lens with a $2000 lens what do you expect?

Panasonic G1 + Olympus G.Zuiko 40mm f/1.4

Panasonic G1 + Olympus ZD 25mm f/2.8

Both of those lenses put together cost *substantially* less than a Leica lens of similar focal length and speed.

The G1 is a fine camera. It's not the ultracompact like the D-Lux 4. It's very versatile, has a wonderful viewfinder and excellent options for lenses. It is closer to a Leica Cl in size and weight ... still compact.

iiiNelson

I agree with everything Godfrey says and again being honest I think you will find the D-Lux and the G1 more complimentary to each other than not. If you decide to pull the trigger and purchase a G1 I think you will be quite satisfied with it. They really are "made" for each other - at least until Panasonic or Olympus delivers some lenses with faster apertures and a smaller body to replace what advantages a serious compact provides over a dSLR.

agoglanian

I have his grip on my DP-1 and I can assure you it's of the finest quality. And it looks just like the Contax G2 grip actually!

I didn't get his grip for the DLux4 though because I prefer how the leica one adds just a little bit of height.

hilld

agoglanian

Ah hah! You mention the DP-1, which gives me an opportunity to jump into to this discussion (as the old saying goes: "That's enough about you: let's talk about ME!) since in recent days my mind has, it seems, been wandering over some of the same ground yours has. Let me explain.

Within a week of acquiring my DP1 last October, I knew I wanted the DP2 whenever it came out. And -- breaking the habits of a prodigal lifetime -- I resolved to start saving so as to have the funds to buy one unaided by anything plastic. This aim, to my great surprise, I have achieved and I was childishly looking forward to picking up a DP2 during a trip to London next month. So far so good. ("And so boring !", I hear from the back of the room.)

Unfortunately, I have found my faith/resolve over the DP2 somewhat shaken by the recent sturm und drang over the worth, quality,reliability etc etc of this camera in the DP Sigma forum.. So much so that I began wondering if I might not be better off looking at an alternative. And like you, I have been considering the G1 (not withstanding my vow, some years ago never - but never- again to get into the whole interchangeable lens catastrophe -- I mean bulk and, almost invariably, cost.)

At the same time, it occurred to me that it would be crazy not to consider the promised Olympus Pen, about to be unveiled just a few days before I fly off. I know that has the potential to tip me into the above mentioned nightmare, but I was thinking of using it solely with the Zuiko pancake.

Just to complicate things further, at this very moment I am veering strongly back towards the DP2, and chastising myself for being such a weak sister. I love the DP1, have had no trouble with it, and am bowled over by the DP2 images posted both here and in the Flickr Sigma DP2 pool.

So there we are. Decisions, decisions. And even worse, patience, patience! I shall be interested in hearing what you eventually decide to do.
(Incidently, as my zoom "equivalent" to your DXL 4 is have the Ricoh GX100.)

Regards