The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 or micro 4/3rds adaptor idea / question

would you buy a tilt or shift adaptor?

• I'd like a tilt adaptor, depending on the price

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • I'd like a shift adaptor, depending on the price

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters

pellicle

Hi

I've asked this elsewhere, but in case there are different users in different parts of the "internet" I thought I'd ask here.

As I'm a 4x5 user as well I like being able to use lens movements on other cameras. When I used 35mm film I used Canon TS-E lenses and liked them a lot. Since I went to digital (APS and more recently 4/3rds) I ended up selling the TS-E stuff. But I miss the ability.

I think that with the micro 4/3rds there is plenty of scope for a lens adaptor to include ability to move the lens. Since 35mm lenses have plenty of coverage I thought that they would adapt well to a tilt adaptor. I fleshed out my idea on my blog page here.

Essentially though given focal lengths and sensor size relationships I think that for normal lenses shift is un-needed and a tilt only adaptor would be nice, and for wides (like 16mm or less) that a shift adaptor would be nice (with tilt not adding much benefit compared to larger formats).

Since I don't make things like this I wonder if enough people are keen on this to encourage any of the existing adaptor makers to make one?

Since I don't make things like this I wonder if enough people are keen on this to encourage any of the existing adaptor makers to make one?
Once I owned, used, and loved, a Rollei SL66 MF camera with built-in tilt. While the much greater DOF in a MFT camera makes this less of a problem, it would still come in handy in many situations (remember, it can be used to restrict the DOF, too...).

But, what mount would you choose? I fear the Leica M adapters are too thin to allow for a tilt mechanism. Leica R would work great, however.

Diane B

I've been looking at an FD 35mm T/S lens--but haven't brought myself to buy it yet. I keep saying I can use my EF 45 f/2.8 T/S when I want/need it on my 5D--but then there are those times I don't have my 5D with me. Since the T/S are MF anyhow, I would benefit (greatly) by being able to use the EVF--but the FOV would be 70mm. I really like the 45mm FOV--so that's one thing that's keeping me from buying it.

OTOH--Per has a point about greater DOF and whether the tilt is needed as much.

Diane

pellicle

But, what mount would you choose? I fear the Leica M adapters are too thin to allow for a tilt mechanism. Leica R would work great, however.
well I've got some 35mm SLR lenses here which have more clearance between the mounts than the Leica M ones I guess

Here is the adaptor I use on my FD series lenses.

pellicle

Hi Diane

I've been looking at an FD 35mm T/S lens--but haven't brought myself to buy it yet. ... OTOH--Per has a point about greater DOF and whether the tilt is needed as much.
well it depends what you're doing, if everything is at further than 3 meters or infinity sure, but for other things tilt is rather handy. For example if you do any close work (such as tabletop product work or even forest floor stuff) then the tilt can work with you quite well. For example in this photograph.

this links to my flickr account where you can see a larger version. Even though it was taken at f2.8 focus is fully on the bottle (top to bottom). It was taken with an FD 28 and a scruffy mockup adaptor to allow my example photos in my blog.

pentacon6

It is theoretically feasible. For medium format to 135 format, the russian has already developed several adapter to use Pentacon Six / Kiev 60 lens for shift or tilt function.

P6 lenses have a longer flange distance for 74.1mm which give lot of space to make an adapter for single shift or tilt function. But for G1, just about 2cm space to work that makes the structure much tighter. And one more thing, is anyone would like to make such a complex piece in a price range from $75 - 120? If we are not going to use it seriously for perspective correction, a lens baby may already fulfill our need.

Diane B

I have both a Lensbaby and an EF 45 f/2.8 T/S. I have found that there's little similar about them--except using the Lensbaby more stopped down it can 'sort of' do a selective focus similar to a TS--but only similar. I use my T/S for architectural, landscape, closeup--and I do like selective focus also, but its a very controlled selective focus--using aperture, rotation and degree of tilt/shift to get exactly what I want. There's no randomness to it as the Lensbaby--the ability to maintain focus within one plane--which can be located at various angles--and blur other planes with control, makes it very creative for that use. But--being able to shift for perspective control and tilt/swing for increased perception of DOF is its usual use. (That being said I need to get mine out and use it more--I've neglected it since getting the G1).

Diane

Diane B

Hi
I think that with the micro 4/3rds there is plenty of scope for a lens adaptor to include ability to move the lens. Since 35mm lenses have plenty of coverage I thought that they would adapt well to a tilt adaptor. I fleshed out my idea on my blog page here.

Essentially though given focal lengths and sensor size relationships I think that for normal lenses shift is un-needed and a tilt only adaptor would be nice, and for wides (like 16mm or less) that a shift adaptor would be nice (with tilt not adding much benefit compared to larger formats).
Pellicle,

I'm wondering if anyone has used a 4/3rds with T/S--since I don't spend time in the Oly forum, I really don't know.

I just did a search--evidently not. I've said before here and elsewhere that I'd love to use my T/S with the EVF--a dream when using tilt/swing esp. I don't know enough about the possibility to know if its feasible to build an adaptor. If it is, one would think it would already have been done for the 4/3rds mount.

Diane

Terry

Why not simply get a tilt shift lens and use a simple adapter for the lens instead of trying to build the hard part?

Diane B

The biggest issue is that all the 'modern' T/S lenses don't have manual iris control, only manual focus. The FD would be the most reasonable one to add IMO--and it has a very good reputation. Zoerk makes adaptors, but there again, not in 4/3rds mount where you could then use the MA-1 adaptor.

Then--the other issue--the FD is a 35mm--giving one a 70mm FOV. That's less usable for me generally without stitching (though I do do stitching with a T/S--a 3 over 3 is quite a file and with the shift ability and a focusing rail or something similar, its quite reasonable to do). Many people prefer a T/S in a wide angle--the 24 may be the most popular and there we have a quandary with the G1 no matter what we do. Others really like the 90--so the FD may be a reasonable solution for them. KEH has 3 EX FD 35 f/2.8 T/S lenses if anyone is interested.

I do undestand wanting an adaptor though--it means that many FL could be used but I think this is similar to the EF to m4/3rds adaptors--isn't going to happen.

Diane

pellicle

Hi

Why not simply get a tilt shift lens and use a simple adapter for the lens instead of trying to build the hard part?
well I would if they existed in focal lengths shorter than 35mm and fitted my mounts. For example araxfoto in Russia makes a few examples but they're 35 and 80mm which is quite longer than I'm keen on. Plus they are designed for 35mm so I'd also need an adaptor in the middle.

Now, Araxfoto also make a nice shift and tilt adaptor pair (note not in one unit) here and here but again they're designed for 35mm (and perhaps intended for APS digital.

I only found these after I wrote my blog article and someone brought them to my attention. But they only mount their lenses (which I think are Medium Format and look quite clunky). I'd love to mount my Olympus 21mm on such an adaptor for instance.

Now it occurs to me that the micro 4/3'rds would suite these adaptors far better than the 35mm cameras. I have emailed them requesting they consider it ...

also (as an aside) I think that the Olympus OM mount is the ideal mount for this as you can operate the iris yourself without needing to have the iris always activated in typical stop down systems.

:)

Last edited: