The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 vs GH1 noise comparison

R

Ranger 9

I picked up a link from the "1001 Noisy Cameras" blog to this French site's test of image noise at various ISOs for the GH1, the G1, and a couple of recent Nikon and Canon DSLRs for comparison.

I don't know how they did their test methodology, but in their pictures the GH1 does look to be significantly better than the G1 in high-ISO noise.

Anybody else got a reaction?

Terry

I haven't looked at this yet but there are a bunch of people yelling about banding at high ISOs so don't rush to order just yet.

monza

Since I don't really need the high end video features of the GH1 anyway, I would wait to see the Olympus in any case before ever considering the GH1. After selling my D700 I find I don't really need the high ISO performance all that much anyway...the G1 is plenty good for me.

RonSmith

Having no interest in video, I got a G1 a couple weeks ago and I'm delighted with it. I'm not selling off my Canon gear that I will continue to use for birds and my son's baseball games. The primary reason I decided to get the G1 was its ability with utilize my Leica M lenses, although I have to admit that the kit lens is pretty good.

There will always be something else coming, but I'm very happy with my G1.

scho

If Panasonic is using a stronger AA filter in the GH1 to achieve better high ISO performance then I'm definitely not interested. I like cameras that either have a weak or better yet, no AA filter and both my M8 and G1 produce files with excellent fine detail because of this.

V

Vivek

If Panasonic is using a stronger AA filter in the GH1 to achieve better high ISO performance then I'm definitely not interested. I like cameras that either have a weak or better yet, no AA filter and both my M8 and G1 produce files with excellent fine detail because of this.
Carl, The filter pack in front of the G1's sensor is way away from the sensor.

This leads to fuzzy pictures already.

This filter placement perhaps is essential here to avoid seeing dust. FWIW, I have not cleaned the sensor cover even once. I can even see dust with naked eyes and it does not show (unless a lens is stopped way below diffraction)!

Another effect of this is the painterly quality of OOF regions.

scho

Vivek, I would think that distance from sensor is a relatively minor factor compared to the strength/design of the AA filter pack. I replaced the filter pack (AA+IRcut) in my Canon 350D and replaced it with an 87 IRpass (no AA filter) of the same thickness and same position relative to the sensor and got a significant increase in fine detail resolution. I also don't consider the G1 RAW images to be especially "fuzzy".

V

Vivek

Vivek, I would think that distance from sensor is a relatively minor factor compared to the strength/design of the AA filter pack. I replaced the filter pack (AA+IRcut) in my Canon 350D and replaced it with an 87 IRpass (no AA filter) of the same thickness and same position relative to the sensor and got a significant increase in fine detail resolution. I also don't consider the G1 RAW images to be especially "fuzzy".

Two separate issues there, Carl.

1. The difference in "sharpness" (especially contrast) is clear when I compare the same lenses on G1 and other cameras.

The most striking example is the way the 38/3.5 Zuiko Macro (pen F) behaves on film and on G1. This lens is very contrasty with a not a very appealing bokeh on film. But on G1, the bokeh is creamy smooth.

2. The increase in detail through your IR filter has to do with not only the Canon AA filter's absence (notoriously "good") but also the wavelength and even more, the narrow spectral band you deal with. Look at the color pics from an unmodified camera and the IR camera- which has has more "definition"?:) It is different story if muted colors appeal to you or monochrome images.:)

scho

Two separate issues there, Carl.

1. The difference in "sharpness" (especially contrast) is clear when I compare the same lenses on G1 and other cameras.

The most striking example is the way the 38/3.5 Zuiko Macro (pen F) behaves on film and on G1. This lens is very contrasty with a not a very appealing bokeh on film. But on G1, the bokeh is creamy smooth.

2. The increase in detail through your IR filter has to do with not only the Canon AA filter's absence (notoriously "good") but also the wavelength and even more, the narrow spectral band you deal with. Look at the color pics from an unmodified camera and the IR camera- which has has more "definition"?:) It is different story if muted colors appeal to you or monochrome images.:)
Vivek, Take a look at the comparison images at the bottom of this page. I think that presence/absence of an AA (read - BLUR) filter clearly affects resolution, independent of monochrome/color, wavelength, etc. I'd rather deal with a little occasional moire from a camera with no AA than have an aggressive AA filter smearing the potential fine detail available from the sensor.

http://www.maxmax.com/

V

Vivek

Carl, I am well aware of maxmax' samples (they had more but have taken them down because some showed color fringing and other unpleasantness).

I also have use cameras for UV and IR (few cams) without AA filters.

The UV camera is in fact sharper than the IR camera (though both have exact same specs) because of the different wavelength regions covered.

The issue isn't as simple as just Moire but the color fidelity (from insufficeint filtrations) and other aberrations.

The ultra thin filter in an M8/8.2 can not be compared with the fairly thick filter stack in the G1.

When I get hold of the Olympus' M4/3rds cams, I plan modify my G1 for UV and/or IR use. I can give you the exact dimensions after that.

BTW, maxmax also sell specialty filters available from B+W, Schott and others, re-badged as "X" something for hefty sums. ;):D

monza

Vivek,

I find the 38/3.5 to give very pleasing results on film, too.