The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

T/S on G1 a test shot

V

Vivek

Pellicle, No worries at all! :)

Since you started (separate thread) with a T/S adapter and not "lensbaby" (epitomy of crappola), I understood that you were not gasbagging.

Have you considered the Mirex adapter (you would still need to modify the mounts- front and rear)? While it is still not cheap, looks to me (I would love to get one someday) to be very decent and useful.

http://www.mirex-adapter.de/tilt_shift_adapter.htm

Yeah the Canon 35 TS isn't exactly cheap.

Diane B

Canon also made a 35mm T/S in the FD mount which would allow for manual aperture control.

Given that FD mount lenses are cheaper than dirt, it could be a good way to go. Olympus all so made a manual T/S which Sean Reid writes about in his Reid Reports.
That's the one I've mentioned several times. KEH has 3 of them on their site--relatively reasonably priced (but nothing like the other f/2.8 FD lenses so I have a hard time considering it)--I think all of them are graded EX. One only needs an FD to m4/3rds adaptor, which I have. I just am not sure if I want to spend the money for a 35 (which translates to 70 FOV) when I know I like the 45 for the 5D. I actually like 45mm on FF--using it for stitching--either with shift--or normally--gives a great file. It works well with the 1.4x converter too--little degradation, so that brings you to about 63mm on FF. Tilt/swing is very good with the 45--I use it all the time.

I like the Canon T/S. I considered a Hartblei at one time---because you can change orientation of tilt to shift without tools (simply rotation I believe), but after renting the Canon 24 I decided the 45 was the one that worked best for me unless I bought a second. The new 24 (and I understand the 17) are making a lot of folks happy, it seems.

Carl--I agree--the EOS to m4/3rds just doesn't offer anything Without manual iris control, the T/S loses much of its ability to be used creatively.

Diane

Last edited:

pellicle

HiYa

Have you considered the Mirex adapter (you would still need to modify the mounts- front and rear)? While it is still not cheap, looks to me (I would love to get one someday) to be very decent and useful.
another one out of the woodwork. Seems that they're all oriented towards medium format lenses onto 35mm (and why not). The arax one I mentioned (here) seems to be promising. IF they get it going onto m4/3 it'll be in my bag as quick as "two shakes of a lambs tail". Price seems ok too at US$129 too ... the only grumble I have is that it will tilt in the most un-friendly manner.

I'm communicating with a fellow who makes adaptors for m4/3 and (among other things) 35mm lenses. He seems to be quite interested and we've been talking about what tilt angles are required and what mechanism will be best / easiest to make.

I'm hopeful

meantime I'm thinking I'll rig something up myself if I can.

On a different note I'm quite surprised just how many people here are using FD mounts ... not that I have any grumble about Canon lenses mind you.

I'll be putting my FD's onto eBay soon cos I just happen to prefer the way the Olympus ones work (ok and I have a soft spot for an OM-1 too).

V

Vivek

HiYa

The arax one I mentioned (here) seems to be promising.
Hi back, I have been using one on Nikon bodies for ~2 years now. It has been permanently modified to take an S-Planar 120mm f/5.6 (it was a high res. enlarging lens) planted in a 105mm Micro Nikkor focus mount.

Here is a sample (D40x, full tilt):

The tilt there is very usable. I would not want to put that on the G1 though.

Yeah, I have seen the pillow cover contraptions. Those people have no style. :ROTFL:

The 85mm f/2.8 PC Nikkor is a swell lens as well (I use one on Nikons). All these are just too big for the G1.

S

S.P.

The main problem is: with the G1 the sensor is much too small.

If you use fullframe you have much more opportunities.

View attachment 17103

This is an example with Nikon D3 and Nikon PC-E TS 24/3,5

pellicle

for what?

This is an example with Nikon D3 and Nikon PC-E TS 24/3,5
more opportunites for what? If your aim in using tilt is to make images like the above with extrem out of focus perhaps. But for using tilt to bring control over focus I disagree. I have posted two images in this thread already demonstrating the control I can get with a G1 and using 35mm lenses.

I use 4x5 inch format (much larger than the tiddly little minature cameras yet I don't find that TS-E lenses on full frame were substantial limitations and I'm really keen to get more precision in control of the lenses I'm using on the G1 with some sort of frame to hold the lens.

Given the movement required to focus and defocus lessens with shorter focal lenghts and the amount of coverage will increase as well I think that the small sensor of the G1 is acceptable.

can you please explain why the sensor is too small for use with tilt?

V

Vivek

I agree and that is the essence of this whole thread (atleast from my point of view). Did you pull out the wrong example?

pellicle

ok ...

Here is a sample (D40x, full tilt):
The tilt there is very usable. I would not want to put that on the G1 though.
The 85mm f/2.8 PC Nikkor is a swell lens as well (I use one on Nikons). All these are just too big for the G1.
I agree ... the longer focal lengths don't show effects as strongly as the shorter ones. I've not got anything longer than 50mm that I can put onto the G1 at the moment. I'm more interested in stuff between 24 and 50 for tilting and < 20mm for shift effects. The sweet little lenses for the Voightlander L camera like a Helia 12mm for instance :)

still ... I think that the 4/3rds is past its sweet spot when you start to get shorter than 20mm anyway. I think a 5D with an Olympus 21mm and a TS-E 24 would make about as light a traveling companion as I could forgo for wide (and be truly happy to leave the 4x5 at home)

V

Vivek

I have the CV 15/4.5. As is, it is fine for me. Have not thought about applying movements with it. Will give it a try (same hesitations of tiny sensor apply)

This lens' size is pretty good for the G1.

Diane B

Its been interesting to me that all the samples have been selective focus. Is it because you feel that using a T/S in a more traditional way isn't useful with a 4/3rds sensor (or maybe not possible with the experimental lens. its really working more like a Lensbaby--but with a more usual blur-- than a T/S that I'm used to).

Pellicle--there is some information about the new 17 f/4 TS and 24 f/3.5II lens here http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/canon_tse_17_24.html and some samples from the 17 f/4 here http://www.pbase.com/georgh/17mm_tse_test
Talk about pricey LOL. The one thing I would love is the ability to use tilt/swing or shift in any orientation, but I still prefer the 45 (which hasn't been upgraded) since I can easily stitch or do pano for wider (except for interiors).

I've given up on using movements with the G1. I don't think there is really any interest in it for many using 4/3rds cameras so its just not going to happen unless you make your own as Vivek has.

Diane

pellicle

Hi Diane

Its been interesting to me that all the samples have been selective focus. Is it because you feel that using a T/S in a more traditional way isn't useful with a 4/3rds sensor
gosh, well I thought I did an ok job with the flower bed example I picked earlier ... I usually use the method to increase focus without needing more than f8 rather than selective focus ... for an example from full frame 35mm with the TS-E90 (which needs all the DoF help it can get)

on a larger print those ferns in the middle really stand out and you don't seem to notice the background at their location on the film is blurry. Move up a little and the background comes into focus so it all looks good.

I'm wanting to do the same with the G1 ... but I must admit with wide angles there is so little out of focus that I don't mind using it for focus selection too.

Pellicle--there is some information about the new 17 f/4 TS and 24 ..
Talk about pricey LOL.
I know ... If I hadn't sold my 24 and 90 back 2 or so years ago (and I could afford a 5D now) then I'd probably be satisfied with that setup. But on the 10D it didn't make sence (in terms of I didn't like what the angle of view had become).

However I did still feel it was all just that little heavy for backpacking in 30degC plus conditions. I keep thinking my G1 and on occasions 4x5 camera will do that role (like when I take the 4x4 truck with me :- ) but here I am fiddle farting about trying to get movements on my G1 to get the best of both worlds.

The one thing I would love is the ability to use tilt/swing or shift in any orientation,
well people (fellow 4x5 photogrpahers) said that to me when I was using the TS-E on my 35mm camera, but I somehow never found it an issue.

but I still prefer the 45 (which hasn't been upgraded) since I can easily stitch or do pano for wider (except for interiors).

I've given up on using movements with the G1. I don't think there is really any interest in it for many using 4/3rds cameras so its just not going to happen unless you make your own as Vivek has.
don't be so sure ... I've had interesting (ongoing) conversations with jinfinance who makes very nice m4/3 adaptors ... heck if more people expressed interest in a cheap adaptor I'm sure he'd be more interested in making one.

Then there's araxfoto to be considered ... they've suggested interest too

Diane B

Ah, Pellicle, forgot those since I was now on the 2nd page LOL. Sorry.

I agree that orientation isn't generally an issue--maybe never with teh 45, but it would still be neat to have.

I'd like it too for the G1--not having to carry the 5D system to have T/S would be terrific. Perhaps I should email him also about adaptor.

Diane