The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My 7-14 arrived.....

pellicle

Hi

Two similar shots from the 7-14 one at 7mm and the other at 12mm
thans for posting these comparisons. I've been wondering about the wide end of the scale on my G1 and really feeling like the 14mm is not wide enough. On 35mm a 24mm is about where I like (although I also like the Oly 21mm). I'm worried that the 7mm end will be a little wide for my preferences which leads me to ask:

what's it like in the middle of the scale? For example the 14-45 is better at full wide than it is in the middle of the scale if you ask me ... so how have you felt about this one at something like 10mm?

I keep wondering if I would be better served with a 5D and my 21mm lens, cost of a 5D used is about the same as this lens but I just wanted to avoid the weight issues.

thanks for your inputs

Diane B

I bought the 9-18 and use it with the MA-1 adaptor. Its similar in size to the 7-14 but the adaptor adds a bit of length (its a middle of the road Oly so I don't know how it stacks up against the Panny 7-14 IQ wise). I knew that I didn't shoot much at the 12 end of my Sigma 12-24 on my 5D so expected that the 9-18 would serve my purposes fine.

I'm not sure what 21mm lens you are thinking about on the 5D. I have a Sigma 20 f/1.8 (which is a bit larger than the Canon 20mm--but I tried both and liked the Sigma better) and the combo with the 5D is very bulky. I haven't given up my 5D and WAs for the G1 and WAZ, but am thinking about it--I did some stitched wides and they printed beautifully at 16 x 24. The weight issue for me makes a difference in a lot of situations.

Diane

pellicle

Hi

I bought the 9-18 and use it with the MA-1 adaptor.
ok ...

I knew that I didn't shoot much at the 12 end of my Sigma 12-24 on my 5D so expected that the 9-18 would serve my purposes fine.
sounds like me ... I did have the Tokina 12-24 but it vignets on the full frame after about 18mm anyway.

I'm not sure what 21mm lens you are thinking about on the 5D. I have a
the Oly 21 mentioned about my first paragraph. I have an OM -> EOS adaptor and its works nicely. I suspect hoever there will be some metering issues based on the reports of others, however it must be a focus screen thing as my trusty film EOS 630 has not the slightest problem.

Sigma 20 f/1.8 (which is a bit larger than the Canon 20mm--but I tried both and liked the Sigma better) and the combo with the 5D is very bulky.
that's how I felt about the Tokina 12-24 on a 10D (which would be about the same bulk as a 5D).

I haven't given up my 5D and WAs for the G1 and WAZ, but am thinking about it--I did some stitched wides and they printed beautifully at 16 x 24. The weight issue for me makes a difference in a lot of situations.
again we're in the same page for strategy, and while that works for me for somethings I find that on other occasions a wide just works better (like interiors without a tripod for careful camera rotations)

Terry

If you can afford it, I would get the 7-14. It is really hard to get an idea of how small/light it is until you hold it in your had.

pellicle

Hi

If you can afford it, I would get the 7-14. It is really hard to get an idea of how small/light it is until you hold it in your had.
well, its not the money that puts me off the 7-14 ... its that I really like using a polarizer in moist broad leaf foilage under the canopy to get that sheen off the leaves, and I don't think the 7-14 can accept a filter.

Terry

Hi

well, its not the money that puts me off the 7-14 ... its that I really like using a polarizer in moist broad leaf foilage under the canopy to get that sheen off the leaves, and I don't think the 7-14 can accept a filter.
Correct on filters

iiiNelson

So cool... I think this is going to be an expensive month... I don't know whether to :ROTFL: or :cry:

Does Lightroom do distortion correction etc, as defined by Panasonic lens data?

Cheers

Brian
I believe all the Adobe products do the Panasonic corrections (which is why I use Lightroom 2 for both the G1 and the D-Lux 4.) People actually were complaining because there's no way to view the image without corrections (why they would want to I have no idea) and the Linear DNG conversion file sizes are rather large.

monza

Pellicle a polarizer on an ultra wide lens can give some curious results. If you must have a filter thread, the Olympus 9-18 has one.

pellicle

Hi

Pellicle a polarizer on an ultra wide lens can give some curious results. If you must have a filter thread, the Olympus 9-18 has one.
sure ... mainly with skies, I think. anything else? But I'm thinking of the 9-18 exactly :)

Diane B

I would likely agree with Terry. I didn't want to spend the money and wanted the MA-1 anyhow. I use a WAZ less than any other lens, so my decision was pretty easy, but if size/weight are important and you can swing it, then I would go the 7-14 route. You don't have to shoot at 7mm LOL--Terry showed that the 14mm is very good also, so I'm sure that the 10 is--and I guarantee you that there's no comparison with that and a 5D and a 20mm weight/size wise *smile* .

That being said, I do like the 9-18 and when you compare specs, the 9-18 is actually just a hair shorter and lighter. I think it is a bit wider--and has a largish hood.

Diane

Terry

Hi Diane,
Thanks and in no way was my post meant to "dis" the 9-18. It is just that the 7-14 is so shocking. It is actually slight smaller than the 14-45 with hood.

Diane B

Hi Diane,
Thanks and in no way was my post meant to "dis" the 9-18. It is just that the 7-14 is so shocking. It is actually slight smaller than the 14-45 with hood.
Totally understood. I've had my moments wondering if I made a mistake in not waiting for the 7-14, but in the end, its all good LOL.

OT--I'm wondering if at some time in your 'spare' moments, you might consider writing up something about carrying 2 systems-- be it one quite small-- on a workshop--mainly aimed at women 'cause the men don't give a hoot about size/weight LOL. However, they might get something from it also. I'm guessing you didn't have to do too much hiking around on this workshop--no long treks, but still--didn't you have to hustle all your gear for each shot no matter where you went? And--in the end, what did you carry, bagwise, and did it work out for the whole shebang? Could you add the tripod to the bag or did you carry it separately--possibly with its own strap or -------

We're going to do a short trip through the Smokies next week--I'm going to carry the 5D and G1. Having issues how to carry it all--in the end 2 bags, but the SS 200 will easily carry the 2 cameras and a couple extra lens for both--but not a complete setup as you probably had with you. Still--there I am torn because we may hike a bit ( not long but possibly steep) and the SS100 is the better for the G1 for that purpose. Luckily have hidey holes for the rest of my gear (plus laptop) in car IF no one sees where I took my gear from and assumes I have more.

To add---I've never carried 2 systems--just backup bodies, so it is different. I know a number of you have done this--just wondering how you felt about it, etc.

Diane

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Does anyone know where I can find a 7-14 these days? I've tried searching around, and can't seem to find one. Is the lens officially released yet?

Also - has anyone heard when the 20/1.7 will be hitting the shelves?

Mike

Diane B

Does anyone know where I can find a 7-14 these days? I've tried searching around, and can't seem to find one. Is the lens officially released yet?

Also - has anyone heard when the 20/1.7 will be hitting the shelves?

Mike
Mike, it doesn't appear its readily available in US. Bill Willby in Canada has had some (that's where Terry got hers)--www.contactphotoarts.com.

Diane

jonoslack

I believe all the Adobe products do the Panasonic corrections (which is why I use Lightroom 2 for both the G1 and the D-Lux 4.) People actually were complaining because there's no way to view the image without corrections (why they would want to I have no idea) and the Linear DNG conversion file sizes are rather large.
The new version of the Adobe DNG converter does 'ordinary' DNG conversions - no longer those huge 'half cooked' linear files. They don't have the lens corrections in them (for better or worse)

Terry

Diane,
Funny you should ask the question about two systems. I was going to take two to Iceland. Then I finally convinced myself to buy a backup A900 when one hit the buy sell here. I missed out on getting that one (found out on the drive to the Grand Canyon). So, for this trip I did bring two systems and it's changed my mind about what I'm taking to Iceland. The G1 is going along with me. However, there are caveats to where for others it could be useful or detrimental.
1. I wore the G1 across my body with a "y-strap".
2. I kept a different zoom on the G1 vs the Sony to cover greater focal lenths.
3. I am intimately familiar with the G1 controls and can get my settings instinctively.

With those three points in mind, I think the G1 pulls it off due to weight/size as it is barely noticable to me. Conversely, I can't imagine having two A900s going without clunking something around. It is big. Also, after the trip one A900 would be just sitting in the closet.

One thing to be clear about. If I didn't have full confidence in the IQ I would get from the G1, it would be useless because I wouldn't grab for it.
I also tried to get the critical focal length on the Sony and fill in with the G1.

This won't work for a lot of people but I felt comfortable with the kit

All from iPhone. Typos excused!

pellicle

Hi

Diane,
Funny you should ask the question about two systems. I was going to take two to Iceland.

I'll be interested to know how you go with the two systems. I've gone with the G1 because it seems to me that in terms of image quality a G1 is capable of equaling a 5D.

Certainly at the telephoto end the 4/3 has substantial benefits. However its at the wide end which I'm still scratching my head.

I'm currently still working with two formats (full frame 35mm and m4/3rds) and find that I'm having logistical issues with adaptors carrying kits and what not. Its annoying to get into the field and find you've left an adaptor behind. I can imagine with two systems you may have similar problems.

Perhaps like you I sling my G1 between loops on my shoulder straps on my pack for easy access. This is the reason why I value light weight. I have found I just don't like stripping my pack to take a shot. So having compact stuff that is robust (allowing me to pack it on accessible areas of the pack) is an important component.

nostatic

Hi

I'll be interested to know how you go with the two systems. I've gone with the G1 because it seems to me that in terms of image quality a G1 is capable of equaling a 5D.
I'm not sure I believe that, though it certainly depends on what/how you shoot and your final delivery (and if you pixel peep). I compare roughly equivalent shots between my g/f's G1 and my Pentax K20d and while the G1 is good, with good glass the K20d gives a better file. Just as I'd expect a 5D or a900 to give a better file. There is no free lunch...but if you do iq/lb the G1 likely wins :D

Robert Campbell

The new version of the Adobe DNG converter does 'ordinary' DNG conversions - no longer those huge 'half cooked' linear files. They don't have the lens corrections in them (for better or worse)
Well, I still get 42MB files when I convert, with the latest DNG converter.

Diane B

I did play around with pixel peeping last month. I don't print above 16 x 24 any more, so that was my goal. I think some G1 files may print okay at that size, but I know they are good at 11 x 17 (I shot the same thing with G1 and 5D, tried to match FL, DOF, etc.)--and I print a lot more smaller prints nowadays and am really happy with those G1 files. But--I also learned that a 2 over 2 pano on tripod, even with fine foliage, is a great file for a large print so that calmed any fears I had. I shoot with a 5D--and yes, there is some difference with DR--but, knowing that, I can bracket. I'm becoming more and more comfortable with the G1--and Terry's use of it in 'iffy' situations seems to confirm it. I'm not saying my 5D and G1 are comparable, but I did find that almost no one could tell the difference between my 11 x 17 prints--both RAWs, etc. I knew--and so its hard to overcome biases--but I'm getting there for many situations.

I am taking my 5D this week--but I bet I shoot more with the G1. For starters--its more fun LOL. Like Terry, I'm totally comfortable with G1 controls so can get exactly what I want quickly. I'm not taking a lot of alternative lenses--just one fast for the G1--and I've decided not to take the T/S at all. The kit just got too big for enjoyment. When I'm going with David I also have to consider not going into 'Zen' mode--and be a good companion also. Time enough for that when I go off on my own shooting. I've put my G9 into his hands instead of his F30 this time (maybe I can get him to think about an EP-1 for the future).

I've looked at that Y strap--think I may have to get one--that seems an excellent solution. The idea of filling FL seemed good to me also--putting the critical one on the main cam (but then you also have 25MP vs. 12 to consider--I don't, but have other considerations). I'll have to decide which one I want on which camera--since most of my shooting will be static, it should be easier this trip but I'm thinking future--and thought I should strike while the iron was hot--i.e., while you (Terry) still remembered how you felt about shooting on this trip with that gear.

Thanks for the little review.

Diane