The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus picture leak

cjlacz

Hi Charles
I don't think anything is as well organised as those Ricoh compacts, from point and shoots to MF, they really did a grand job.
I think there may be another prime available, let's hope it's a wide!
We just need to get Ricoh on the m4/3s boat. :D

17mm isn't bad, but I'd much prefer at 12-14mm prime (2.8, or even a bit slower is probably fine) and a faster medium telephoto, 42-70mm) I've found those two suit my shooting style much more then a normal prime or zooms. It's also part of the reason I'm become more frustrated with Oly's selection of primes for 4/3s.

Low light CDAF seems directly related to the max aperture of the lens, so I'm hoping we don't see anything too slow, or rather I hope we see at least one fast lens.

R

Ranger 9

what do you think is going on there on the back below the flash hotshoe ?
I think that the camera is sitting on a plastic display base, and that people are getting 'WAAAAY too excited.

R

Ranger 9

One also would hope they use the EVF and/or the screen from the G1.
Yes, I can just hear the Panasonic staff meeting: "I've got an idea! Let's sell our gold-standard proprietary component to our only competitor so they can cannibalize sales from us with a smaller camera having exactly the same features." [SFX: Japanese crickets...]

Riley

I think that the camera is sitting on a plastic display base, and that people are getting 'WAAAAY too excited.
not that

im interested in the moulding at A
like why does it roll off underneath
and the two grey surfaces at B

monza

C = the sensor plane indicator
D = stereo mics?

A camera without a viewfinder is nothing new, btw. :)

Brian Mosley

[SFX: Japanese crickets...]

Now why doesn't somebody implement that as a forum feature? :ROTFL: classic!

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

C is where the focal plane is (a 0 with a line through it).

Those who were wondering about the exact camera registry of the m4/3rds failed to look at this (the G1 also has this mark, btw).

When is the release date, btw?

Riley

C is where the focal plane is (a 0 with a line through it).

Those who were wondering about the exact camera registry of the m4/3rds failed to look at this (the G1 also has this mark, btw).

When is the release date, btw?
the 15th Vivek

kevinparis

something is definately over elaborate in the hotshoe area... why is there a gap on the left and not the right.

maybe the hotshoe slips off to reveal the contacts for the EVF?

hey...this is almost as fun as Apple leaks and rumor used to be :)

K

R

Ranger 9

A = styling crease, much like the ones outlining the tapered area on the right.
B = plastic pads to avoid shorting out and damaging dedication pins when flash is slid into place. (Note that center portion is still metal, so flash will fire when slid in. Great attention-getting feature at parties!)
C = sensor-plane mark as previously identified by Vivek.
D = screws that hold the top cover on.

monza

I would doubt that D are screws, Oly would probably make screws less visible than the front of the camera.

Who wants to wager on whether Oly has a removable EVF for the shoe? ;)

Riley

real as in different framing for all lenses, hence a lack of capacity with zooms and without much in the way to implement information overlays

V

Vivek

Riley, Thanks.

I think I have enough cash for this and perhaps a small flash that I would expect to accompany this camera. Not sure what else Olympus will come up with. If there is a "better" version, I will be buying that as well, along with any other primes they may be offering......

Hmm.. perhaps it is time to let go of my Canon 50/0.95? :(

iiiNelson

Yes, I can just hear the Panasonic staff meeting: "I've got an idea! Let's sell our gold-standard proprietary component to our only competitor so they can cannibalize sales from us with a smaller camera having exactly the same features." [SFX: Japanese crickets...]
Many companies "share" technology so it's not that far fetched to be honest. It's not like they're giving it away free. They stand to make money off of multiple products and it's cheaper on both companies in most cases.

I don't see the reall problem though, it's not like 4/3 is actually some kind of consortium... [/sarcasm off]

R

Ranger 9

I would doubt that D are screws, Oly would probably make screws less visible than the front of the camera.
Remember, though, this is a retro/homage camera. They might be wanting to evoke the era when cameras were made of metal and held together with screws.

Meanwhile, I was planning on trying to float a rumor that in a further homage to the Pen FT, the new camera's meter system would consist of a virtual needle on the LCD that would read out against a scale numbered 0 through 7, giving a number that you'd then set on a virtual aperture ring via menu buttons -- with the option of stick-on numbered scales for non-Olympus lenses. But I thought that might be too much of an inside joke for anyone except all us ex-Pen FT owners...

charlesphoto

Riley, Thanks.

I think I have enough cash for this and perhaps a small flash that I would expect to accompany this camera. Not sure what else Olympus will come up with. If there is a "better" version, I will be buying that as well, along with any other primes they may be offering......

Hmm.. perhaps it is time to let go of my Canon 50/0.95? :(
Ha! There will always be a "better" version. It's called the next one.... (sometimes best to put the money away and wait).