The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus picture leak

monza

20/3.5 -- very nice.
38/3.5 -- my favorite pen lens.
250/5 -- small and light for a 500mm effective (on the G1 of course.) preset aperture, rotating lens mount makes vertical/horizontal switch easy. sharp for a 40 year old lens but won't be nearly as sharp and contrasty as a modern tele zoom.

I've used all the Pen lenses except the 25/4, 38 pancake, 42, the 100-200 zoom, and the very rare teles 400mm and higher.

Photomorgana

20/3.5 -- very nice.
38/3.5 -- my favorite pen lens.
250/5 -- small and light for a 500mm effective (on the G1 of course.) preset aperture, rotating lens mount makes vertical/horizontal switch easy. sharp for a 40 year old lens but won't be nearly as sharp and contrasty as a modern tele zoom.

I've used all the Pen lenses except the 25/4, 38 pancake, 42, the 100-200 zoom, and the very rare teles 400mm and higher.
I guess I will get all of them :)
(42mm is little soft wide open but its catching up before you even make a next click at f2)
I wanted to get 400mm but $1800 is too much I think.
How about 25/2.8 have you tried this one, is it good.

N

nei1

HI Neil
because a pen F, being a true SLR has a mirror assembly, which means that:
1. the lens registration distance is much greater than for this camera, which means that if they had done that you would no longer be able to use leica lenses etc.
2. the lenses and camera itself would have been bigger (this should be smaller than a pen F).

What is true, is that they should be able to make a standard 4/3 camera the size of the pen F . . . and, actually, the E450 isn't that much bigger.

hope this helps
:)
:lecture:thankyou Jono,perhaps I should have made it more obvious what I meant:-

couldnt they have folded an evf into the camera ,a la pen f,then if I didnt like using the evf I could use an optical accesory finder.
Also while understanding the desire to use leica glass on the camera in my case to have a standard field of view would mean buying new glass and as youve(think it was you Jono) said before over the 4:3 concept with their lenses needing less correction,olympus should make the best lenses for this camera.Im sure this is going to be a beautiful camera but if the rumour mill for the samsung includes a proper viewfinder it might be more interesting............Neil.:)

pellicle

look at the EXIF on the top view image
look at the firmware version

that should tell you something....;)
Ok, what was I supposed to notice?

From Irfanview :
ImageDescription - OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Make - OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
Model - u830,S830
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 72
YResolution - 72
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - Version 0.9
DateTime - 0000:00:00 00:00:00
YCbCrPositioning - Co-Sited
ExifOffset - 158
ExposureTime - 1/13 seconds
FNumber - 3.30
ExposureProgram - Normal program
ISOSpeedRatings - 200
ExifVersion - 0221
DateTimeOriginal - 0000:00:00 00:00:00
DateTimeDigitized - 0000:00:00 00:00:00
ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
MaxApertureValue - F 3.29
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
LightSource - Auto
Flash - Flash not fired, compulsory flash mode
FocalLength - 6.40 mm
UserComment -
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 640
ExifImageHeight - 480
InteroperabilityOffset - 614
FileSource - DSC - Digital still camera
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Auto
White Balance - Auto
DigitalZoomRatio - 1.00 x
SceneCaptureType - Standard
GainControl - High gain up
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal

Maker Note (Vendor): -

Thumbnail: -
Compression - 6 (JPG)
XResolution - 72
YResolution - 72
ResolutionUnit - Inch
JpegIFOffset - 8756
JpegIFByteCount - 4634

Riley

Ok, what was I supposed to notice?

ImageDescription - OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Make - OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
Model - u830,S830
Software - Version 0.9
DateTime - 0000:00:00 00:00:00
DateTimeOriginal - 0000:00:00 00:00:00
DateTimeDigitized - 0000:00:00 00:00:00
those things

but what i especially referred to was

Software - Version 0.9
thats a pre release firmware
Q/ where would one get that from ?

jonoslack

couldnt they have folded an evf into the camera ,a la pen f,then if I didnt like using the evf I could use an optical accesory finder.
Well, apparently not . . and keep it that small, the pen f had an OVF, but of course you knew that.
Also while understanding the desire to use leica glass on the camera in my case to have a standard field of view would mean buying new glass and as youve(think it was you Jono) said before over the 4:3 concept with their lenses needing less correction,olympus should make the best lenses for this camera.
Well, it remains to be seen whether they will employ lens correction (I do hope not). But the point isn't so much being able to use leica glass, as being able to use lots of existing lenses (some of which are very cheap), including all the existing 4/3 lenses (many of which will AF as well).
Im sure this is going to be a beautiful camera but if the rumour mill for the samsung includes a proper viewfinder it might be more interesting............Neil.:)
Well, okay, but if the Samsung uses a new mount it'll come with very few lenses, and although they've made some very pretty p&s cameras, they don't have a grand heritage in quality glass (of course, Pentax might do it for them, but this sounds doubtful).

Personally I really wish that this had some kind of an optical viewfinder, but the size and the multiplicity of lenses which already exist (and, of course, the possibility of putting any viewfinder on the hot shoe) seems to me to make it a bird in the hand.

jonoslack

those things

but what i especially referred to was

thats a pre release firmware
Q/ where would one get that from ?
HI Riley
I do agree, mind you, the mju 830 is nothing new!

mju830

Still, maybe they took the picture with a very old prototype.

I do believe in the picture though - it just looks real

Riley

HI Riley
I do agree, mind you, the mju 830 is nothing new!

mju830

Still, maybe they took the picture with a very old prototype.

I do believe in the picture though - it just looks real
yeah but it means the image was sourced from the Olympus R&D lab
those cameras are strictly held, you couldnt leave there with it without someone knowing about it

seems like a sanctioned leak

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
DOA. No flash is nice but no nice evf tucked in to the side (no hump) just killed it for me. I'll stick with my GR-DII the best small camera still, IMHO.

jonoslack

DOA. No flash is nice but no nice evf tucked in to the side (no hump) just killed it for me. I'll stick with my GR-DII the best small camera still, IMHO.
Even if it has a nice plug in evf in the hotshoe? (I know nothing, but I've heard that there will be accessory viewfinder(s))

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I would rather it be build into the body on the left side. Those little periscopes that Ricoh has doesn't to me make a satisfactory solution.
Maybe something in the form of a Leica Frankenfinder might make me a little less harsh.

clay stewart

I'm not to keen on external finders either, they make a pocket camera not so pocketable. I tried the C/V mini finder on GRD2 and it stayed there all of ten minutes.

Diane B

Interestingly enough, I was just reading Online Photographer and he had a short note about the web being awash in the Oly m4/3rds pics--and added an addendum to a viewfinder for the 17 f/2.8. It was the Voigtlander 35mm that I already own LOL (which is big, bright--but still an external).

Diane