The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus picture leak

Rick Waldroup

I own a Ricoh GRDII and I use the external viewfinder all the time. In fact, I always leave it on the camera. Maybe it is just me, but I do not find it annoying at all and it still fits in my pocket with the finder on.

If this is what the Olympus camera looks like and it will have interchangeable lenses, and if I can put an external viewfinder on it and if it can deliver decent shots at higher ISO's, then I will be the first in line to buy this. You know, that front shot of the camera looks a lot like a Contax G1 rangefinder camera, which I used to own.

If this is what the Olympus camera will look like, it is one beautiful camera!

Riley

corrected distortions [mostly]
what do you think is going on there on the back below the flash hotshoe ?

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
I will take that over any zoom. BTW, f/2.8 isn't slow in practice.
I wasn't comparing the 17/2.8 to a zoom but rather to the (promised) Panasonic 20/1.7. And, while f/2.8 may not be slow in practice, it's still one and a half stops slower than f/1.7. :)

Riley

Well, I was told that it definitely had stereo microphones, so could it be that (yawn)
what, rearward facing?
all you would hear from me is something like 'get out of the way you tosser'

two holes at the front around the script OLYMPUS
could be just screws though...

is it me or
does that top deck look removable

kevinparis

how about you press down on the hotshoe and the evf pops up... press it down and it goes away? Don't know if there is enough room for that but the top view does show some gaps around the hotshoe area.

Also price if correct is high compared to G1 which does have evf

just a thought... we will all know in a week. From long and hard experience shiny new things always deliver less than ones dreams

still it does look gorgeous

jonoslack

how about you press down on the hotshoe and the evf pops up... press it down and it goes away? Don't know if there is enough room for that but the top view does show some gaps around the hotshoe area.
Like a sort of bellows? :ROTFL:

Also price if correct is high compared to G1 which does have evf
It's obviously aimed at a 'smarter' marketplace, so perhaps they'll get away with the price. Perhaps not though. Small is not necessarily cheap though.

just a thought... we will all know in a week. From long and hard experience shiny new things always deliver less than ones dreams

still it does look gorgeous
Yes, it's almost bound to be a disappointment after this build up!

V

Vivek

I wasn't comparing the 17/2.8 to a zoom but rather to the (promised) Panasonic 20/1.7. And, while f/2.8 may not be slow in practice, it's still one and a half stops slower than f/1.7. :)
Yes, the mythical Pansonic 20/1.7 is faster. :)

With many choices for the 25mm FL in c-mount (much faster as well), the 17/2.8, to me is more useful to have.

Godfrey

Yes, the mythical Pansonic 20/1.7 is faster. :)

With many choices for the 25mm FL in c-mount (much faster as well), the 17/2.8, to me is more useful to have.
Either is fine by me. I'll work with whichever lens is available first, I suspect!

cjlacz

I'm not expecting an external EVF, or at least not one like the G1. Looking at the diagrams of it when it was released it seems fairly large and complicated compared to the GX200's external viewfinder. Even without an EVF it looks like a tempting replacement for my GRD. I'm worried about the manual controls. It doesn't look like it will be as easy to control as the GRD. I hope they have another prime or two available at release.

jonoslack

I'm not expecting an external EVF, or at least not one like the G1. Looking at the diagrams of it when it was released it seems fairly large and complicated compared to the GX200's external viewfinder. Even without an EVF it looks like a tempting replacement for my GRD. I'm worried about the manual controls. It doesn't look like it will be as easy to control as the GRD. I hope they have another prime or two available at release.
Hi Charles
I don't think anything is as well organised as those Ricoh compacts, from point and shoots to MF, they really did a grand job.
I think there may be another prime available, let's hope it's a wide!

Terry

Interestingly enough, I was just reading Online Photographer and he had a short note about the web being awash in the Oly m4/3rds pics--and added an addendum to a viewfinder for the 17 f/2.8. It was the Voigtlander 35mm that I already own LOL (which is big, bright--but still an external).

Diane
Does voigtlander make one in 4:3 my voigtlanders are all 3:2.

Terry

No they don't, but framelines are never that accurate, so I guess one can get used to it.

Are you flying?
No delayed until 8:30 NY time which means arrival at a really stupid time like 1AM SF time. My confernce call at 6AM should be delightful.

Diane B

Does voigtlander make one in 4:3 my voigtlanders are all 3:2.
I used the top and side bright lines to set up the composition--and knew that it extended below the bottom bright line into the 'outside'. After awhile I adapted pretty well.

Someone above suggested just use the 3:2 format--but we don't know if it will have one (we assume)--and there really isn't a need once you shoot with it awhile.

Diane

Terry

unless Oly goes for the larger multi-format sensor going 3:2 throws away precious pixels by cropping.

iiiNelson

Looks good but I certainly hope that Olympus uses a weaker AA filter than they've been using in some of their other cameras. One also would hope they use the EVF and/or the screen from the G1. Looks like it would make a good second body for my "extra M 4/3" lenses