The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus picture leak

Brian Mosley

Agreed Woody, maybe a m4/3rds version of the zd 9-18 f4-5.6? Or zd 11-22 f2.8-3.5

The zd 9-18 is already small and light for a 4/3rds lens.

Cheers

Brian

jonoslack

Has anyone mentioned how much that front view looks like a contax G series?

As for the fast wide primes - I remember reading somewhere that if you're making wide lenses, it's as easy to make them into zooms.

Whilst I'm absolutely certain there needs to be some small lenses with this setup, it seems to me that fast AND wide is going to mean bigger, and the times one actually needs a fast wide angle lens are . . . well, not that frequent.

I'd say that what they need is small, high quality lenses rather than necessarily fast ones.

but then, what do I know :)

lambert

Personally I think Olympus would be crazy to not offer wide and fast primes. Lots and lots of G1 owners would flock to buy them (thus Olympus cashes in on the installed base of G1's) and more than a few will opt for the Oly body as well. Quickest way I can see for Oly sales to really skyrocket.

JMHO

Woody
I invested in 4/3rds fairly early on with the expectation that some high quality fast primes would be forthcoming. Other than a macro lens, Olympus released one pretty ordinary prime, the 25/2.8. This lens was dull and rendered like a cheap zoom. The new micro body looks great but I won't be tempted until I see some decent primes.

Vincent

pellicle

Hi

I'd say that what they need is small, high quality lenses rather than necessarily fast ones.
I've been quite impressed at just how much DoF I get with a 12.5mm lens at f2

even in a regular scene (not a looming in close up)

so I'd be quite pleased to see something in the 12~15mm range as f2

kevinparis

agree with jonoslack - smaller slower and more affordable primes are what the EP-1 needs to establish it as a system.

Just look at lenses from any other manufacturer (even compare the 25mm pancake v the panleica 25/1.4) and you will see that gaining an extra stop or more always seems to involve an increase in size and cost that is disproprotionate to the advantages gained for most photographers.

Olympus work with the same rules of physics as everybody else, though with the OM lenses they have a history of making things small

With SLR's fast lenses were probably more about getting the brightest view in the viewfinder and bragging rights for marketing purposes. They also were developed in a time where shooting at ISO 400 and above was the exception rather than the norm.

give me an EP-1 with 6MP of D700 like high ISO quality and sharp fast focussing 2.8 lenses at 14, 17, 25, 42 and 60 - I could live very happily with that

cheers

kevin

jonoslack

Re: give me an EP-1 with ...

That makes two of us ... ;-)
Actually, I reckon it makes 63,465 of us :ROTFL:

Just as an example of prices and sizes - silly, but informative, three current leica 50mm lenses:

1. Noctilux: f0.95 700gm £5375

2. summilux f1.4 275gm £1850

3. summarit f2.5 230gm £635

24 mm lenses

1. summilux f1.4 500gm £3162

2. elmarit f2.8 290 gm £2000

3. elma f3.8 260gm £1146

Clearly, you get what you pay for, but with m/43, with image stabilisation and the increased dof, I know which I'd rather have (and which I'd be more likely to buy). . . .

(let's be honest, if you want wafer thin depth of field then you shouldn't be looking at 4/3 at all!).

Tim

agree with jonoslack - smaller slower and more affordable primes are what the EP-1 needs to establish it as a system.
I'd also rather small slower primes because we already gain some lower ISO due to OIS.

give me an EP-1 with 6MP of D700 like high ISO quality and sharp fast focussing 2.8 lenses at 14, 17, 25, 42 and 60 - I could live very happily with that
If only this camera had been released some years back before the megapixel race got us to 12Mpixels. Can I have sharp fast foccusing 2.8 lenses at 10.5, 14, 17, 20, 25, 42 and 60? Puleeeeze.. :bugeyes:

kevinparis

When Olympus were in their prime... if you will excuse the pun...they had quite an extensive range of lenses as you can see here

http://zuserver2.star.ucl.ac.uk/~rwesson/esif/om-sif/lensgroup/images/lensposter.jpg

to illustrate how even Olympus can't break the laws of physics here are some size comparisons showing how that extra stop costs in terms of size.

As regards price... well i would have to dig deeper... but you can bet that price probably follows a similar trend as bulk.

Cheers
K

Last edited:

pellicle

Hi

when you say slower, you mean what?

I thought that around f2 was a good location (and f2.8 is around that)

looking at my Compustar I don't think that its out of the question to increase the coverage a little (it is not after all covering 35mm frame in the examples posted above from the Olympus range) and so a 12, 13mm or 14mm f2.8 prime would not be out of the question either in physics or economics.

least wise not as I see it.

Last edited:

kweide

Ah, yes - I see what you mean Jono...

Courtesy of http://harrysproshop.com/G2/g2.html

That 35mm f2 looks nice by the way! would go great on the G1/E-P1 :)

Cheers

Brian
YES, and i loved mine soooo much. I was an idiot selling the complete kit :cry:
I believe Oly will the enter the m43 market with 2 bodies. And the one with OVF will be mine... Money already prepared..... :)
BTW: One guy said, dont know if it is true: m43 is capable to utilize even larger sensors than those now in use.... It is all about the flange back which is now much smaller than on 43 and allows OLY more flexibilty in sensorsizes...
The Oly 43 flange back ( 38.85 i think ) was only choosen to give SIGMA and Co a transition path to adapt their Canon, Nikon gear easily to Oly 43

But with m43 this need is gone.....

Last edited:

kevinparis

pellicle

when i said slower I was meaning slower than the 1.4 aperture that everyone seems to blindly lust after.

1.4 would be wonderful... but not at the sacrifice of size and cost. I would rather be able to buy and carry around three f 2.8 lenses than bankrupt myself for an extra two stops of speed and only have one lens.

K

K

pellicle

pellicle

when i said slower I was meaning slower than the 1.4 aperture that everyone seems to blindly lust after.
ok ... I hadn't been thinking that way (and since this seemed to be related to my statement) so I just wanted to clear it up.

If any prime was slower than f4 then it may as well be a zoom in my view.

:)

Diane B

(let's be honest, if you want wafer thin depth of field then you shouldn't be looking at 4/3 at all!).
I think you are exactly on the money there. I will pull out the 5D when I want that wafer thin DOF.

I've found I'm happy enough with something in range of 35mm and up with f/2.8--for DOF. I've also found, somewhat seemingly non-intuitively--that I can handhold an MF lens at a slower shutter speed than I can my 5D (supposedly, a heavier, etc. camera is more 'stable'--I can almost always handhold 1/30s the 5D)---which makes it more adaptable with lower ISO, less fast lens than my 5D for low light--discounting very shallow DOF. Not sure why this is---but I find it over and over (without IS--the Oly will have body stabilization besides).

OTOH--I also find that I almost never shoot totally wide open with the 5D--stop down some, so I'm not missing extreme shallow DOF as I thought I might--for the most part.

Still, for now, the Oly m4/3rds doesn't really fit for me at this point--but I certainly am interested in the lenses--and may consider an Olympus m4/3rds down the line.

Diane

jonoslack

If any prime was slower than f4 then it may as well be a zoom in my view.

:)
Hi There - well, looking at the examples, it does seem that f2 is a good 'cut-off' and I quite agree, if it's f4 it may as well be a zoom. It's also worth mentioning that there isn't much IQ sacrifice in a WA being a zoom anyway - especially short ranges like the pana 7-14 for example.

R

Ranger 9

Just as an example of prices and sizes - silly, but informative, three current leica 50mm lenses:

[omitted: silly but informative table showing that lenses get disproportionately heavier and more expensive as maximum aperture increases]

Clearly, you get what you pay for, but with m/43, with image stabilisation and the increased dof, I know which I'd rather have (and which I'd be more likely to buy). . . .

I don't care about wafer-thin depth-of-field; I just want to be able to make indoor pictures of fast-moving subjects, and I don't see why I shouldn't be able to make them with a Micro Four Thirds camera.

After all, if I've got to lug around weighty wide-aperture lenses, it would be nice to lighten the load by lugging a smaller, lighter camera body along with them.

For the pictures linked above, I had to use a Nikon D300 -- and believe me, the difference vs. µ4/3 in bag size and weight for body-plus-couple-of-lenses-plus-stuff is noticeable when you're trying to be mobile!

I agree that wide-aperture, fixed-focal-length lenses don't sell as well as moderate-aperture "convenience" zooms, though, and for that reason I doubt that Olympus will be rolling out scads of them with the E-P 1... just wish somebody would...

monza

Hi There - well, looking at the examples, it does seem that f2 is a good 'cut-off'
f/2 was the cutoff on the Contax G series, which allowed most of the lenses to have the same filter size and kept the cost reasonable on both body and lens. f/1.4 would have required a higher degree of precision on the rangefinder system not to mention bigger, heavier, more expensive glass. They decided to leave the high speed optics to their only competitor, similar to how 4/3 should not try to compete with the full frame, 50/1.2 Canons, etc.

jonoslack

I agree that wide-aperture, fixed-focal-length lenses don't sell as well as moderate-aperture "convenience" zooms, though, and for that reason I doubt that Olympus will be rolling out scads of them with the E-P 1... just wish somebody would...
Oh - I think that of all cameras this one really does need some good fast primes . . . just not more than some good small primes!

Mind you - Olympus make good zooms as well