The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus picture leak

Will

That viewfinder is a fair size.
Black and silver or black for me, though the silver and blue :banghead: lens rather undermines the all black look.

jonoslack

That viewfinder is a fair size.
Black and silver or black for me, though the silver and blue :banghead: lens rather undermines the all black look.
I'm pretty sure the lenses can come in black as well.

I think the interesting thing about the viewfinder is whether it'll have an electronic overlay (focus confirmation etc.) and whether it will have some zoom facility.

davemillier

My confident guess is that it will just be a plain 'ol viewfinder.

Had to take the car to be fixed this morning. Walked back through the park with the DP1. I really hope the oly will not be like the DP1.

Don't get me wrong, the image quality is fine and it works quite well as a tripod camera. But the handling I find almost impossible. The add on OVF in a rudimentary pointing device really, the manual focus makes the DP1 useable (just) but the speed of everything....so slow. It is unbearable having to wait 5 secs after shooting a shot before the camera will do anything. And even though it has a 3 shot buffer it can only be used for burst shooting and then you have to wait 20 secs before the controls come back to you.

Not to mention how difficult it is to grip. The paint finish and boxy shape make it a bar of soap and there is nothing to grip at the front or anywhere to put you thumb at the back. The little buttons are P&S, the zoom buttons don't do much useful and get in the way, there are no dials or wheels only little buttons, everything is modal (you have to press a button, check the screen (which can't be seen in sunlight) to try and work out which setting is currently active, then click, click the arrow keys...

What's wrong with the designs that were worked out in the 1970's! The controls of say the Cosina RF series look about perfect to me...

I'm pretty sure the lenses can come in black as well.

I think the interesting thing about the viewfinder is whether it'll have an electronic overlay (focus confirmation etc.) and whether it will have some zoom facility.

jonoslack

What's wrong with the designs that were worked out in the 1970's! The controls of say the Cosina RF series look about perfect to me...
or the modern ricoh GR and GX cameras
still, one needn't be pessimistic about that, Olympus are quite good at interfaces, and I'd be astonished if it had the Sigma Slug characteristics.

As for the viewfinder - you're probably right, but here's hoping.

Riley

As for the viewfinder - you're probably right, but here's hoping.
it almost looks like that top deck could be easily removed, and carries little function. Its almost a cottage industry proposition, to refashion a moulding that includes the flash hotshoe, the mode dial, and an OVF for a chosen optic FL ala viewfinder camera (not RF or EVF)

Of course Olympus would be better off with an EVF, and I feel strongly that is what will come next. Its also thought Panasonic have a similar model in stream.

jonoslack

Of course Olympus would be better off with an EVF, and I feel strongly that is what will come next. Its also thought Panasonic have a similar model in stream.
Not in my view, can't stand the things - even the 'good' one in the G1 seemed terrible to me. . . terrible enough to sell it!

R

Ranger 9

Here you go Jono - I know this will make your day :)
Brian
The Big Leaks have started arriving (such as here) and unfortunately that black one has been branded a fake.

Looks as if your color choices are going to be chrome with a black insert, or a rather twee white with a beige insert. There's even a white leather half-case and strap for the white one!

Gotta admit I like the looks (and I might even prefer the white, although my taste can't be trusted since I'm the guy with the black-and-red-leather Epson R-D 1.) But if the $917 body-only selling price turns out to be legit, I'm afraid this is going to be a fashion accessory that's out of my price range. It'd look fabulous hanging off Heidi Klum's shoulder, though...

...hey, come to think of it, Olympus has always been a big sponsor of NY Fashion Week. How cool would it be to see a runway show in which each model's outfit included a custom-finished camera? They could stop at the end of the runway, do a pose, then snap a photo of all the photographers in the pit... and then the photos could become an exhibit... yikes, the possibilities are endless! Why am I not in marketing? (Actually, this kind of thinking probably is why I'm not in marketing...)

Terry

See my post on the other thread going.

LOL - at first I was like WTF on the white picture but its growing on me.

As to price, to me quoted in the link is higher than I thought. Unacceptably, high if the viewfinder is just a piece of glass with no electronic communication with the camera.

Riley

See my post on the other thread going.

LOL - at first I was like WTF on the white picture but its growing on me.

As to price, to me quoted in the link is higher than I thought. Unacceptably, high if the viewfinder is just a piece of glass with no electronic communication with the camera.
white shoes, white handbag, you know you need it... ;)

oh hang on, that was jono...

Last edited:

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
<snipped>

Don't get me wrong, the image quality is fine and it works quite well as a tripod camera. But the handling I find almost impossible. The add on OVF in a rudimentary pointing device really, the manual focus makes the DP1 useable (just) but the speed of everything....so slow. It is unbearable having to wait 5 secs after shooting a shot before the camera will do anything. And even though it has a 3 shot buffer it can only be used for burst shooting and then you have to wait 20 secs before the controls come back to you.
<snipped>
Maybe [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, sans-serif]Tim Isaac will make a [/FONT][/FONT] Thumbs Up for grip it? :)

Terry

...but can you still carry it after Labor Day?
Well since I live in San Francisco and we wear turtlenecks and down jackets all summer, we break out the shorts and summer clothes in September so my white camera with white leather half case gets some extra bonus time.

J

jKK

Hello

Here are some more images from a Japanese blog.

Blog Link
http://blog.livedoor.jp/e_p1/

There is also a scan of what appears to be an invite to the press
launch in Berlin - June 15.
Very nice vintage style

Shame about the VF not being an EVF :_(

-TC

Riley

specs have appeared
http://dcdv.zol.com.cn/137/1373538.html

Product name: E-P1
Product line: Pen Digital
Spec: 12.3 mp livemos,
Truepic III+ imaging engine,
M mode, i-Auto mode,
720 HD movie with linear PCM stereo mic,
highest definition 4032*3024 px
3' LCD, 230K pixel, 100% coverage. 15 step brightness and 15 step colout temp control
ISO Auto mode 200-3200. M mode 100 -6400
IS with the usual 3 modes, up to 4EV compensation
Movie mode HD:1280 x720(V)16:9
SD:640(H)x480(V)4:3(VGA)
HD:7mins SD:14mins
Medium SD/SDHC
Size 120.5*70.0*35.0mm
Weight 335g body only