The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus vs G1

Godfrey

I saw this image on dpreview, and thought it was interesting:
http://www.slack.co.uk/oddsandends/ep1_g1.jpg
It is interesting. Considering how petite the G1/GH1 is already for a camera with this large a sensor and the image quality it produces, this Olympus is tiny.

Ignoring the difference in size due to the lenses, it's a different design brief with no eye level viewfinder and no articulated LCD, a comparison more in line with say comparing a Nikon F3 with a Leica CL. Completely different kinds of cameras in use, but both capable of producing superb images.

What I like about it is that it will complement my existing FourThirds/micro-FourThirds kit nicely ... and it's not the same thing as the G1 at all. ;-)

helenhill

Since I'm too Lazy to read all the Hype about the Oly
which I am Quite interested in....ooks more my speed than an SLR digital body

Is there a possibility of an Adapter for M lenses ?

Thanx in Advance...:)

Godfrey

Since I'm too Lazy to read all the Hype about the Oly which I am Quite interested in....ooks more my speed than an SLR digital body
Is there a possibility of an Adapter for M lenses ?
It's a micro-FourThirds camera, which means that all the micro-FourThirds mount adapters that already exist will work perfectly on it.

Without the EVF of the G1, it can't be as convenient to focus as an adapted lens as you will have to focus via the LCD. And of course we don't yet know all the specific details of its features, controls and functions with respect to using adapted lenses.

But it does look sweet regardless. ;-)

jonoslack

Ignoring the difference in size due to the lenses, it's a different design brief with no eye level viewfinder and no articulated LCD, a comparison more in line with say comparing a Nikon F3 with a Leica CL. Completely different kinds of cameras in use, but both capable of producing superb images.

What I like about it is that it will complement my existing FourThirds/micro-FourThirds kit nicely ... and it's not the same thing as the G1 at all. ;-)
Good comparison Godfrey, and what you say about complementing existing 4/3 lenses. I'll be fascinated to see how easy it is to use with my 50-200 Zuiko :ROTFL::ROTFL: (I don't have the 90-250 unfortunately).

Still, using the 50 f2 and the 9-18 on it should be very sweet, and there is supposed to be some kind of plug in VF coming. I was told there would be a white one :eek: (as well as silver and black)

jonoslack

Re: Olympus vs D-lux4 DP1 G10

Here is another one done by someone called 'nosenseofplace' on dpreview:

(thanks to him)

Good Eh!

jonoslack

If the Oly really has the size of DL4, than my DL4 is ready to be sold :)
Hmm, I'm not terribly convinced, it looks fatter than the DL4, and of course, it only has a pancake, different if you stick a zoom on it.

Still, it's clearly pretty small, the comparison with the DP1 is certainly more valid (in that that has a fixed lens as well). At the very worst construction you can use the two Olympus pancakes so that you have the DP1 and Dp2 in the same camera!

Exciting and fun I think - probably it'll be an anticlimax, but the speculation is great :)

kweide

May it be a little more in size or not. It is WOW-small. My Zuikos and Leica lenses are ready to be mounted. Hey Kevin....prepare your lenses...

pellicle

that plan comparison with the cameras is great! I did an animated GIF comparing my 10D to my G1

I really think that the new Oly looks hot. I'm thinking that I'll "need" a second camera and wonder if I'll still need the G1 later. Currently I'm mainly stillpleased with a small sensor 5Megapixel Coolpix 5000 for macro stuff and whatnot, so it might just be that the new Oly replaces my G1. Gosh ... wouldn't that be a short camera ownership history.

Gosh, imagine me putting this lens:

onto that little oly ... :bugeyes:

Godfrey

Good comparison Godfrey, and what you say about complementing existing 4/3 lenses. I'll be fascinated to see how easy it is to use with my 50-200 Zuiko ..
Shouldn't be any harder to use with the 50-200 than the L1, E-1 or G1 ... I only ever use that lens on a tripod, what camera's on the back of it is mostly irrelevant. ;-)

R

rover

The Oly has in-body IS... that's a major advantage for all legacy lenses.

Cheers

Brian
True, but no viewfinder. What wonder will Oly have to allow for manual focusing w/o a viewfinder? Or with the small 4:3 sensor will close be good enough given the wide DOF?

pellicle

True, but no viewfinder. What wonder will Oly have to allow for manual focusing w/o a viewfinder?

probably the same wonder that Panasonic provides with the G1 ... works well enough for me to focus on rear the screen

jonoslack

Shouldn't be any harder to use with the 50-200 than the L1, E-1 or G1 ... I only ever use that lens on a tripod, what camera's on the back of it is mostly irrelevant. ;-)
Golly, I've never ever put any 4/3 camera on a tripod . . . actually that's not quite true, I've sometimes done it for product stuff, but not otherwise.

Diane B

I like the look of the Oly but I bought the G1 because I hated shooting with the G9 with only an LCD so that situation still exists for me. I have a Voigtlander 35mm external VF--wonderful VF but the solution wasn't good unless I viewed the camera as a one FL camera--even with the turret VF I bought, just not a nice shooting experience for me--the histo, EC, ap/shutter speed, etc. are all still on that LCD that I can't see very well. Loved the camera, hated shooting with it. The LCD, though a very good one, just doesn't work for me--have a great deal of trouble focusing and composing in normal daylight.

Probably me, but I just don't like shooting with only LCD--though I do use the G1's at times on tripod (but mainly indoors--same issue in normal light--often can't use it effectively for macros). Of course, I could add external VF to the Oly--but why--and if I use anything other than the pancake, it will still end up bigger than 'pocketable'.

I do understand the excitement about this camera--it will work on certain levels for some, but without a VF (and not a tiny 80% like the G9--useless for most things) or EVF, it won't work for me. I'll be more interested in the later Oly that I think will be more what I would like. When it comes time to upgrade the G1--I'll look at both.

Diane

jonoslack

I like the look of the Oly but I bought the G1 because I hated shooting with the G9 with only an LCD so that situation still exists for me. I have a Voigtlander 35mm external VF--wonderful VF but the solution wasn't good unless I viewed the camera as a one FL camera--even with the turret VF I bought, just not a nice shooting experience for me--the histo, EC, ap/shutter speed, etc. are all still on that LCD that I can't see very well. Loved the camera, hated shooting with it. The LCD, though a very good one, just doesn't work for me--have a great deal of trouble focusing and composing in normal daylight.

Probably me, but I just don't like shooting with only LCD--though I do use the G1's at times on tripod (but mainly indoors--same issue in normal light--often can't use it effectively for macros). Of course, I could add external VF to the Oly--but why--and if I use anything other than the pancake, it will still end up bigger than 'pocketable'.

I do understand the excitement about this camera--it will work on certain levels for some, but without a VF (and not a tiny 80% like the G9--useless for most things) or EVF, it won't work for me. I'll be more interested in the later Oly that I think will be more what I would like. When it comes time to upgrade the G1--I'll look at both.

Diane
Hi Diane
I quite agree about the viewfinder - one of the two reasons I didn't stick with the G1 was that I didn't like the EVF.

Story has it that their will be external VF(s) for the Olympus, whether they're optical or EVF (like the Ricoh) remains to be seen. I'm hoping for an optical viewfinder with an electronic overlay and framelines . . . .but I think I'll be lucky :ROTFL:

Diane B

Hi Diane
I quite agree about the viewfinder - one of the two reasons I didn't stick with the G1 was that I didn't like the EVF.

Story has it that their will be external VF(s) for the Olympus, whether they're optical or EVF (like the Ricoh) remains to be seen. I'm hoping for an optical viewfinder with an electronic overlay and framelines . . . .but I think I'll be lucky :ROTFL:
I hope so as I know you are wanting a quite small 4/3rds camera (still for riding???--how's that going???). I'm neither a Panny nor Oly person, so my mind is open, but I've become a fan of the EVF on the G1--I use it quite a lot with MF lenses.

I prefer an OVF on many levels--but I will admit when I stick on a lens that needs MF (like my 45 T/S), I yearn for the G1's EVF on my 5D LOL.

The little Oly looks very classy--and small--SMALL!! I know it will be a well thought out camera and has lots of pluses. So--I'm mostly looking forward to what lenses they will announce at the same time--and will wait to see what the late Fall Oly m4/3rds will be. Might suit me better--but then, if I consider an even smaller camera body down the road and there is a VF option as you think there might be--this still might be a second option for m4/3rds for me.

Addendum---I was just looking at the Online PHotographer and his quick note about the web being awash with images of the Oly m4/3rds. He added an addendum--a 'viewfinder' for the 17--and the link was to my Voightlander 35mm external LOL. At least I would be ready with that (and I love that VF--big, bright, with parallax error marks--which might or might not work for the Oly).

Diane

Last edited: