The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Telephoto on G1

pellicle

Hi

I've been using a FD 300mm on my G1 for a little while

and really liking the results. This morning I went out to photograph the local woodpeckers feeding their kids with it:

That image is cropped slightly, so here is the full field of view (to get an idea of how much I cropped)

I got this one 3 days ago of the local "golden eye" chicks too:

I wonder how many others are using adapted tele's for stuff like this?

anyway, after testing my Olympus 50mm against the FD 50mm I've decided to lash out and buy an Olympus 300mm f4.5

I'll be blogging about that and comparing it to the FD when it arrives.

hopefully the chicks will still be around then too

Last edited:

Michiel Schierbeek

Well I do have 4 lenses ( yes, I am a little ashamed :D ) in the 300mm range.
The best one is; The Tamron SP 300mm f/5.6 54B Can focus as close as 1.33 m. in OM mount.
Then I have the Olympus 300mm/4,5 and 2 Meyer Gorlitz lenses the Orestor 300/4 and the Telemegor 300/4.5
They are all good lenses, I think but then I have a general weekness for Meyer lenses.
Here is a shot with the OM 300 and E-3

Godfrey

Nice photos!

I had a Nikkor 180/2.8 AI that I tried combining with Olympus EC14 (net: 252mm f/4) and mounted on the G1. It worked well, but without a tripod mount it was too difficult to handle.

I've since sold that lens as the Olympus ZD 50-200/2.8-3.5, fitted to a DMW-MA1 mount adapter, does as well or better, isn't a heck of a lot slower, and has a sturdy tripod mount. But I can't use the EC14 with it (the EC14 is unsupported on the G1 and the 50-200 doesn't focus or operate the aperture with it fitted).

pellicle

Hi

Answereing your question ;Sorry, I never tryed to photograph birds with them.
Michiel
well, I thought you answered my question. I wasn't intending to mean that birds was the only answer :) For example this is with my FD 300. The building across the road is getting repainted ... seems the workers deiced it wasn't quite worth finishing this wall before leaving.

POETS day

Piss Off Early Tomorrow's Saturday

apicius9

Ahh, I wish I had seen that earlier, these Meyers (and the pictures they produce) look really nice and there are a few on ebay that don't seem too expensive. Considering that I won't use a long tele prime too often, I didn't want to spend too much, but then I got carried away (again :rolleyes: ) on ebay and bid for a Leica R Telyt 250/4. My rationalization is that this way I won't need another adapter, and I may try to get my hands on a Leitz 2x extender one of these days. It's still in the mail, so I'm not sure what to expect, I just thought if it says Leica on it, it can't be too bad... Does anybody know these lenses? Any thoughts on them? I picked the 250mm because the ones beyond that are just monsters - and the FD also looks like a handful even though the IQ seems to be nice. One thing I definitely learned so far is that my maximum for hand held shots is 100mm, longer than that is gambling... So now I hope that my light Slik tripod won't crumble under the weight.

Stefan

lcubed

i just picked up a 500mm mirror lens and it's surprisingly useable handheld,
although a tripod would certainly help.

Michiel Schierbeek

Hi

interesting ... what is the mount they use? Is there a common adaptor for that?
They come mostly in M42 or in Exakta mount. I have both adapters, so either way is fine for me.
The 200 mm is rather commen and not so expensive. Focussing is very good,
but can take some time.
Michiel

lcubed

Hi

I must say, that's the nicest image from a mirror lens I've ever seen. Which one is that?
it's a Zuiko OM 500mm F8 reflex coupled to rj's OM to FT adapter and panny FT to mFT.
this combo focuses well beyond infinity and the DOF is razor thin at short distances.

i'm still learning how to handle this lens.
i'd be interested in seeing how this lens handles on a camera with body IS

another handheld shot. the 'bokeh' is 'interesting':D

f6cvalkyrie

This pictures I made yesterday with a c-mount Cine-Kodak Telephoto 152mm/f4.5

This lens draws very softly fully open, but becomes sharp and contrasty as soon as you stop it down 2 stops !

Have a nice weekend,
Rafael

lcubed

a couple more handheld shots w/ the zuiko 500mm

on a guess, these guys were zipping by about a kilometer or so out

the float plane was practicing touch and go's on the lake, so i got a chance
to run inside and grab the long lens

a couple of hundred feet off the end of our dock

Last edited:
O

OzRay

I'm looking forward to using this combo: