The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The consensus E-P 1 leak has arrived

R

Ranger 9

Okay, the official un-leak is here, and with all the "hands-on previews" and such, it hasn't taken me long to distill my own key factoids:

Pros:
-- Looks extremely cool.
-- Very compact.
-- In-body stabilization (does it work with all lenses?)
-- ISO to 6400 (how good?)

Cons:
-- Focus only via LCD, which washes out in bright light.
-- Very slow autofocus (according to DPReview.)

So, functionally, you've got a very compact camera that you can use with autofocus lenses, which it focuses slowly, or with adapted manual-focus lenses, which focus inconveniently assuming you can see the LCD at all.

Sounds like the 17mm lens/optical finder combo is the sweet spot: should be a great carry-around camera for stylish travelers, since the 17 should AF better than the zoom, and the optical finder gives a bright-light alternative to the LCD.

But focusing is kind of a big deal for me, so it looks as if I'll be staying with Panasonic. Drat -- the Olympus looks sooo good...

V

Vivek

Sounds like the 17mm lens/optical finder combo is the sweet spot: should be a great carry-around camera for stylish travelers,..
Sorry to point out the obvious, Ranger. You overlooked the custom cases and the matching colored straps.

I think Olympus have a winner here. Watch out Luigi!

Diane B

The Dpreview interview with an Olympus executive says they are working on an EVF now. I think that one will be the genuine competition to the G1. But by then, Panny will have something new too.
Thanks Woody. I read that interview but 'speed read' it and missed that.

Diane

V

Vivek

I had just read about the Youtube ad on another forum--thanks for the link so I didn't have to search for it. BUT--did you notice, he had it out in front looking in that dang LCD LOL. Hope it sells bunches though. I want MORE m4/3rds.

Diane
Heh! Subtle.:)

Olympus promo for the G1, Robert? Thanks for the link. :)

m3photo

Re: Articulating Screen

I know - how Leica ever managed to sell the M8 without an articulating screen is beyond me.
Same here. They lost a customer with that and not taking a page from Epson's book and motorizing the advance instead of a cocking-lever à la RD-1.

kweide

It sounds "Klick" and is very silent.....reported from one who had his hands on it today in Berlin...

V

Vivek

I know - how Leica ever managed to sell the M8 without an articulating screen is beyond me. :salute:

Let's see how it works in real life.

Kind Regards

Brian
You can focus and frame using the built in viewfinder/RF patch (most lenses).

The very essence of an RFless, Mirror Reflex less and the ability to focus using solely Liveview is apparently perfected by Panasonic and appeared to have caught Olympus flat footed.

If I want a P&S cam, the choices are plenty.:ROTFL: