The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The consensus E-P 1 leak has arrived

R

Ranger 9

...and it looks like this distillation courtesy of Electronista.

My off-the-top-of-the-head reaction is a mixture of ho-hum and what-the...? Spec-wise, it seems as if Oly has the hat, but Pana has all the cattle: for example, is 7 min of 720p video going to cut it with the techno-kids in this day and age?

On the other hand, the ISO range up to 6400 sounds interesting; wonder how it will look...? And if the 17/2.8 lens really comes in at a selling price of $101, it's going to be almost a no-brainer purchase for any Micro Four Thirds owner regardless of brand loyalty.

And then there are the looks. Compared to the Panasonic family, the E-P 1 doesn't really have much going for it (aside from the ISO 6400 and in-body stabilization) except that it's small and cute. Then again, being small and cute is the only thing that let any of us survive to make it out of infancy, so it's best not to underestimate that factor!

Incidentally, the big eyebrow-raiser for me in the Electronista post was the statement that the E- P 1 has a "3 CCD sensor." However, when I read the 43Rumors post that formed the main source of the Electronista post, I saw that it actually reads "3 LCD". I'm guessing that means 3-inch LCD, which would be a pretty typical specification on this size of camera.

The Xitek forum has some nice big photos of a lot of the system components, but I won't embed them because I think the moderators don't like that. Speaking of cute, though, check out the add-on flash unit; if anything, it's even cuter than the camera!

Should be a fun topic when all this becomes official!

Terry

They still haven't said anything about the viewfinder and if it is "dumb" or has some electronic communication with the camera.

I surely hope their pricing is wrong. I thought it might be the body and a two lens kit for $800-$1000. Body only over $900 seems high and even more so if the viewfinder has no functionality.

The white is growing on me. LOL.

Just my two cents.

R

Ranger 9

:confused:Looks like a girlycam. Where's the black one?:cussing:
You can get chrome with a black insert; your Y chromosome will have to be satisfied with that.

Not that white is unmanly. Refrigerators are white. (What's closer to a real man's heart than his refrigerator?) Saturn V rockets were white. The Sako Finnlight is available in white (sorry, couldn't find a picture.) It's just the beige insert that's perhaps a bit uber-fashionista.

kweide

... ähem... it says 3 CCD Sensor. If that is true, we see a new Sensor generation ! Or is it due bad translation ???

V

Vivek

The flash is cute. Perhaps the price of that is $101/- and not that of the 17/2.8.

How would one use a flash and the huge viewfinder? :confused:

clay stewart

I like cameras that don't draw attention, for street photos. Light and shiny objects tend to draw attention. Sort of the same principal as looking at a photograph and you notice that your eyes are first drawn to the brightest part of the image.

V

Vivek

With a "dumb" optical viewfinder, it is back to digiscoping!:ROTFL:

R

Ranger 9

... ähem... it says 3 CCD Sensor. If that is true, we see a new Sensor generation ! Or is it due bad translation ???
As buried in my original post, I think it's just Electronista getting the typing yips.

Their source, the 43Rumors post, says "3 [something] LCD." And that apparently comes from this Xitek post, which (on my system at least) shows an undisplayable Asian character.

My inference is simply that the leaked specs say the camera has a 3-inch LCD display. That would be a reasonable size for a camera with this body size.

monza

With an OM adapter, there must be support for manual focusing, hopefully it will be via a magnified central part of the view :)

monza

I surely hope their pricing is wrong. I thought it might be the body and a two lens kit for $800-$1000. Body only over $900 seems high and even more so if the viewfinder has no functionality.
This is probably Japanese market pricing with currency conversion. One would bet there will be market-specific pricing.

monza

My inference is simply that the leaked specs say the camera has a 3-inch LCD display. That would be a reasonable size for a camera with this body size.
Considering a full frame D700 has a 3 inch LCD, this is a huge LCD on such a small camera.

R

Ranger 9

Considering a full frame D700 has a 3 inch LCD, this is a huge LCD on such a small camera.
True, although the fashion for compact digicams seems to be to have the LCD occupy almost the entire area of the back.

A 3-inch-diagonal LCD like the one Nikon uses is about 2 inches high, right? If the line drawing of the back shown in the Xitek post is accurate, the monitor is about 68% of the height of the camera body, which (again according to Xitek) is 75mm. 68% of 75mm is 51.26mm, which is 2.01 inches.

Allowing for the fact that I'm using 'way too many significant digits for such a rough calculation, I figure that confirms that the E-P 1 will have a "3-inch" LCD on the back.

Hmmm... humongous LCD plus add-on optical finder. Remember months ago when, commenting on the "blue cloth" photo of the Olympus display, I joked that the blue cloth was a sample of the cleaning cloth that would be included with every E-P 1 to clean nose prints off the LCD? And people were razzing me because "with no eye-level finder, you won't get nose prints on the LCD"? Well, all I can say now is, "Neener, neener!"

jonoslack

Well
Maybe it's right, but it seems to me that most of that stuff comes from 43 rumours anyway.

I don't think there is anything new here apart from a few shots.

let's see what actually is announced tomorrow