The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LUMIX G1 STRANGE PATTERN IN IMAGE

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Godfrey

Any aperture or exposure time is affected .
It can best be seen when shooting a homogenous area , like sky or a white/grey wall etc . but also in other areas of an image .

Jürgen

Godfrey

... I came across this issue when I wanted the create an HDRI image using photomatix .
There I saw a chessboard like pattern in the right top corner of the image .
After inspecting the images in detail , I could identify the source .
The maze pattern in the right top and bottom corner .

I have no statistics .
But . . . . i noticed , that the issue is not there or can hardly be seen when using long focal length lenses .
...Therefore , as you use long focal length lenses , you will not see the issue , or only very "soft" .
Long focal length lenses? I use mostly 25, 40 and lately the 12.5 mm lenses ... I haven't used much over 70mm other than occasionally. ??

I just looked at a dozen or so images taken recently with the 25mm lens, clear blue sky, etc. Nada. ??

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Godfrey

I have done further tests .
HASSELBLAD , any V-SYSTEM camera , any wide angle lens , from 60mm down to 38mm , using CFV digital back , the same maze pattern can be seen , when using LR2.3/2.4 as RAW converter .
When using the HASSELBLAD software , PHOCUS , the maze pattern does not exist .
Therefore , I deinstalled LR and I will not use it any more .
The issue is posted to ADOBE , but up to now , I get the feeling , that they just don't care .

For me, this issue means , that there is something wrong in LR and I will never use that product anymore . The money for that product was just a waste .
I have been in software service for many years , and no reaction to the customers , who keep these companies alive , is fatal . I do know that from my own experience .

No feedback , that is what I hate .

Jürgen .

R

Ranger 9

I suspect they'll care a lot more if it's affecting Hasselblad users than they would if it were just affecting Lumix G1 users!

If you want to make them extra-uncomfortable, you might visit some of the Lightroom user sites and post a note about your findings there. Granted, most of these sites are run by rabid Lightroom fanboys even if they're not formally affiliated with Adobe, so it's unlikely you'll get much traction. But the more noise there is, the better the chance that the issue will find its way onto Adobe's to-do list.

I'm stuck with Lightroom as my raw-file management application -- it's still the best fit given the range of different raw formats I need to handle and the different ways I need to catalog/sort/retrieve them. But my learning from your experience is that I'll need to keep using external raw-file converters in situations where quality results are critical and Lightroom drops the ball. So thanks for sharing this and documenting it so thoroughly.

I wonder if the newly-announced version of the DNG spec, which now supports storage of manufacturer-specific "opcodes" for image correction, eventually might lead to a solution for this...? But in the meantime, we've all got photos to make, and we've all got to use what works for us.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I suspect they'll care a lot more if it's affecting Hasselblad users than they would if it were just affecting Lumix G1 users!

But in the meantime, we've all got photos to make, and we've all got to use what works for us.
Ranger

Thanks for your feedback .

You are probably right .
I am fedup with testing and updating the ADOBE thread without getting an answer . That would be the least , to let you know : we are investigating .

So in the meantime we have to use , what works for us .
That is SILKYPIX for the G1 and PHOCUS for the HASSELBLAD .

Jürgen

jotloob

Subscriber Member
ADOBE informed me yesterday by E-mail, that with the next update for
LR2.4 they will supply a fix for the described issue .
Good news . That gives me the feeling , that customers concerns are not unheard .
Jürgen

e_dawg

Excellent news. I just noticed the problem a few days ago and didn't find much discussion on the subject initially. Glad to know others have the problem too and have informed Adobe about it. I was afraid I would have had to spend a lot of time getting their attention...

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I described the issue in detail in the ADOBE FORUM .
I could see the same pattern for a HASSELBLAD digital RAW opened in LR2.4
The pattern is not seen when using PHOCUS (Hasselblads RAW converter) .

An update for LR2.4 , regarding the LUMIX G1 pattern exists but is not available yet .

Jürgen

R

Ranger 9

Yay, maybe finally some action!

I just saw this post on the Adobe forum, suggesting that Jürgen's complaint has gotten some action!

So far the fix is only in ACR 5.5, but they say an update to Lightroom is coming that will incorporate the same improvement.

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but at least Adobe has acknowledged and worked on it! Major kudos to Jürgen for persistence in getting it documented and drawing their attention to it.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Hi ranger9

Yes , good news .
On the one side it gives me some satisfaction , that I was taken serious .
As only very few people really responded to this issue , I felt very much left alone with that maze pattern issue .
Now , ACR5.5(beta) solves the problem and ADOBE stated that a solution for LR will be available soon .
Also , the same issue for HASSELBLAD 3fr files , will get an update with the next release .
Good news for all of us and thanks to the ADOBE people who took care of this issue .

Best regards Jürgen

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Hi ranger9

Yes , good news .
On the one side it gives me some satisfaction , that I was taken serious .
As only very few people really responded to this issue , I felt very much left alone with that maze pattern issue .
Now , ACR5.5(beta) solves the problem and ADOBE stated that a solution for LR will be available soon .
Also , the same issue for HASSELBLAD 3fr files , will get an update with the next release .
Good news for all of us and thanks to the ADOBE people who took care of this issue .

Best regards Jürgen
It is indeed good news for all of us who use the G1 and Lightroom/ACR but I'd suggest that, in addition to the Adobe people who addressed the problem, our thanks are also due to Jürgen who raised the issue and persisted until it was resolved. :salute:

nboyer

Re: Voigtländer...

I just posted a similar thread - I'm having the same experience using an E-P1 with Zeiss 21/4.5 and Zeiss 25/2.8 when converting with DNG Converter. I don't see the maze pattern when converting with Olympus Studio or CaptureOne 4. Odd... -Norm

It is indeed good news for all of us who use the G1 and Lightroom/ACR but I'd suggest that, in addition to the Adobe people who addressed the problem, our thanks are also due to Jürgen who raised the issue and persisted until it was resolved. :salute:

scho

Re: Voigtländer...

I just posted a similar thread - I'm having the same experience using an E-P1 with Zeiss 21/4.5 and Zeiss 25/2.8 when converting with DNG Converter. I don't see the maze pattern when converting with Olympus Studio or CaptureOne 4. Odd... -Norm
I see the same with M mount lenses on my G1. I never saw it with Canon FD, Konica AR, or the m43 kit lenses. It is also specific to the Adobe ACR or LR2 converters and as noted above is supposed to be corrected for the G1 in the next release. You might want to report this experience with the E-P1 in the Adobe forum mentioned above - Eric Chan is very good about responding to these issues.

Example from a comparison series on 25mm lenses that I did awhile ago. Note the pattern in the Zeiss 25 image:

Last edited:

R. Bowman

For the first time I am getting these checkerboard patterns also, using LR 2.5; they don't show up in SilkyPix. If someone would please advise where on the LR forums postings about this issue should go, I would appreciate it.

In first picture below, pattern appears in white shirt of man in middle of frame.

In second picture, pattern appears in left portion of frame, just above horizon in the white clouds.

Thanks for any help.

V

Vivek

What might help is the demosaicing routines. The demosaicing sharpness ought to be set to 0 to avoid the checkered pattern.

The overall image quality takes a big leap as well. I noticed this only recently. The difference is stark (P&S quality to something decent).

I hope the manufacturer would do themselves a big favor by coming up with better RAW processors for the cameras they sell.

R

Ranger 9

For the first time I am getting these checkerboard patterns also, using LR 2.5; they don't show up in SilkyPix. If someone would please advise where on the LR forums postings about this issue should go, I would appreciate it.
Are you by any chance using a Mac with a G5 processor?

For some reason the update to Lightroom 2.5 exposed a weird issue in which, running LR 2.5 on G5s only, very bright areas of the image get weird magenta "checking" around them; I could see it in both your attached photos.

If you use an Intel Mac or a Windows PC, you don't get the issue. If you use a G5 Mac and "backgrade" to LR 2.4, the problem goes away (although you may have to delete and rebuild your previews to get rid of the checks.)

And so far I've only seen reports of it happening to raw files from Panasonic G1s and Leica Ms... so at least we're in prestigious company!

There's a growing thread here on Adobe's Lightroom forum about it. An official bug report has been filed and at least one Adobe employee has responded unofficially in the thread, so I presume they know about it.

We've also had a GetDPI thread here, and I've posted an example photo there in which the problem shows up vividly.

So you might check those and see if your symptoms match; if so, at least you know someone has told Adobe about it, and we'll all just have to wait and see if they do a fix (or else we'll all just have to stick with Lightroom 2.4.)

On the other hand, if you're not using a G5 Mac, you may have something else going on, in which case you may want to file your own bug report with Adobe, which you can do by completing this form.

Good luck!

Godfrey

... the update to Lightroom 2.5 exposed a weird issue in which, running LR 2.5 on G5s only, very bright areas of the image get weird magenta "checking" around them; I could see it in both your attached photos.
I've done testing on this and submitted a bug report to Adobe.

Found it on both PowerPC G4 and G5 systems.

And so far I've only seen reports of it happening to raw files from Panasonic G1s and Leica Ms... so at least we're in prestigious company!
Demostrated it with six cameras so far: Oly E-1, E-P1; Pentax *ist DS, K10D; Panasonic L1, G1.