The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-P1 is out....

nostatic

Nice era to be shooting pictures, eh? The only problem is finding the one that really "speaks" to you. I have to admit that the DLux4 is a keeper for me just based on low light performance and size.

I like the G1 but wouldn't own one - the ergos just don't work with my hands. Neither did the Pentax Km. I'm hoping that the K-7 is "just right", inbetween the Km/G1 size and the K20d.

But in the end every solution is a compromise. And as had been said many times, the best camera is the one you actually have with you. If the EP1 ends up being a camera that influences people to carry it when they might not otherwise do so, then it is incredibly valuable. If however most find it to be a "tweener", then it will be doomed to niche at best status.

With digital though, there's always another model just on the horizon...

Godfrey

looks good to me. beautiful design, nicely conceived and complete. a very compact complement to my existing E-1/L1/G1 plus lens kit. kinda reminds me of when my kit was Nikon F3 SLR and Leica M4-P RF, only this time I get to use the same lenses on both. :)

can't wait to see one in the flesh. with 17mm lens and OVF fitted, it will be a natural for a lot of the photography I like to do.

davemillier

It certainly does. The E410 + 40-150 fits easily in my coat pocket.

I think it all hinges around the size of your pocket :)
Still, I agree, part of me says that all this 'small camera' stuff is a load of old cobblers, and one may as well just settle for an M8 (or an Olympus E620 . . or a nice Pentax K7) and forget about pocketable.

I've had many many small cameras (the dlux4 being the latest in the line) none of them gets used much . . . not sure that this will be an exception.

douglasf13

looks good to me. beautiful design, nicely conceived and complete. a very compact complement to my existing E-1/L1/G1 plus lens kit. kinda reminds me of when my kit was Nikon F3 SLR and Leica M4-P RF, only this time I get to use the same lenses on both. :)

can't wait to see one in the flesh. with 17mm lens and OVF fitted, it will be a natural for a lot of the photography I like to do.
I agree completely. Cool camera. :clap:

jonoslack

If a coat's not enough, get one of the photog's vests -- the pockets are quite big enough.
I'd be divorced on the spot . . . but the real truth is that I never really put a camera in a pocket. I think that Quentin has it, and if there's another pancake to put in another pocket :clap:

Robert Campbell

I'd be divorced on the spot . . .
My wife got me one -- well, it's not a proper photog's one, but similar [from Columbia Clothing Co] and very useful for keeping lens hoods and caps in -- and for taking lots of things through airport security

However, I still want a digital Minox 35 with a viewfinder -- I was brought up on the peephole things from the 1950s, so the VF doesn't have to be so very big -- and small enough to fit into a shirt pocket.

Quentin_Bargate

I think the E-P1 with pancake lens gets closer for me to the ideal quality carry anywhere compact that I have waited for someone to release. The Sigma DP2 (I already have the DP1) is a possible alternative, but the body is clunky, even though I love the sensor. Great though my A900 is, its hardly a pocketable beast:grin:

I think I'll wait for the price to drop a bit first, though. And I am sure I can rely on Jono to buy and field test one first :ROTFL:

Quentin

Brian Mosley

Have you seen it with the Lumix 7-14 fitted? very cool indeed - and looks so solid too. I love the idea of a metal camera!

Cheers

Brian

Audii-Dudii

looks good to me. beautiful design, nicely conceived and complete. a very compact complement to my existing E-1/L1/G1 plus lens kit.
My thinking follows yours (except I don't have an E-1!) and I decided to pre-order one earlier today. While there are enough differences between the E-P1 and the G1 for me to justify keeping both of them, my suspicion is that one or the other will end up going and it should be interesting to see which of the two it is! Of course, I suppose it's also possible the L1 ends up going ... time does march onward, you know (although if it does go, it will be without the lens as I'm not letting go of that anytime soon!)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
To make this thing fly, Olympus needs to launch at least two more primes and a variable viewfinder. 25 and 45mm, both f/2.0 would be nice. We know they can, or at least they could in the past, and Pentax has shown that it's still possible. Actually, Pentax has all the small primes that would be needed for this camera. If they launch something similar, and Samsung has strongly indicated that they will, Olympus may be in for some serious competition.

Tim

Don't despair if the E-P1 does not quite meet your needs, this gives insight to whats coming http://www.dpreview.com/news/0906/09061600watanabeinterview.asp

some quotes
"We are now preparing for a future product with an EVF."

"we will listen to voices from the market. If customers request prime lenses first, they'll be first on our priorities list. These primes could follow the compact, 'pancake' design of the 17mm lens launched today: "

"with this model we brought in a new image processing engine that allows us to extend the sensitivity range to ISO 6400."

-------------------------
Look here too, there is more room for more models on this page http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/products/dslr/

Pen Series with room for more models on this page :clap:

cjlacz

Nice interview! I wonder what is the best way to contact them to tell them what lenses I'm interested in. I hope the next camera with the EVF isn't too much bigger.

hot

Hmmm ... Olympus optical viewer = same price like (Ricoh) electr. viewer :eek: :thumbdown: