The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-P1 is out....

Rawfa

I've already placed my preorder with Monza (Robert)! I cannot wait to get my hands on this babe. I've been waiting for this camera for a looong time and so far it seems to be everything I've wished for (except I'd have liked if they gave it a 1080p at 24fps and a better codec regarding video shooting). I have to say I'm very impressesed with the high ISO results they've posted at dpreview. It seems to me that 6400 will be usable with BW and even in some instances with color and some post treatment :)

pentacon6

Hmmm ... Olympus optical viewer = same price like (Ricoh) electr. viewer :eek: :thumbdown:
Viewfinder is optional, that's not the most arguable point. I would say the 3" 23MP LCD display is the most disappointing feature in today's standard. Only budget consumer product use such a resolution. Just a little step it almost gain the reputation of perfect.

jonoslack

But he's not exactly, well, unbiased, is he? :D

He'll either trash it, or make us buy one.
Does that make me biased? Sounds pretty even handed to me :D

Mind you, if I were you I'd certainly not listen to me :ROTFL:

As for that waistcoat thingy . . . are you sure your wife isn't just taking the piss?

Lili

Hmmmm, been reading every article and quasi-review on this camera and I have to say it really does seem to be on my 'wanted' list.
The thing that clinched it was here;
http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=3945
the view of the EP overlaid over the e420 is very telling.
We're talking about something the size of a Canonet even with the zoom.
With interchangeable lenses....dang I am now so torn, K7 or EP :eek:

jonoslack

Off the hook!
? I don't understand that remark

I've just been looking at the samples on dpreview - the high ISO is surprisingly good - much better than I've ever seen with 4/3 before.

really much MUCH better

Last edited:

Rawfa

? I don't understand that remark

I've just been looking at the samples on dpreview - the high ISO is surprisingly good - much better than I've ever seen with 4/3 before.

really much MUCH better
Sorry, I wasn't very clear, was I :) The pictures look great. Check out the color, dynamic range, texture! Having a smaller sensor I thought would affect the dynamic range much more. I was relieved it wasn't the case. The same goes for high ISO. This little beauty is going to be a hit. I want mine now!

jonoslack

Sorry, I wasn't very clear, was I :) The pictures look great. Check out the color, dynamic range, texture! Having a smaller sensor I thought would affect the dynamic range much more. I was relieved it wasn't the case. The same goes for high ISO. This little beauty is going to be a hit. I want mine now!
:D Glad I thought maybe that you hadn't liked the samples and were 'off the hook' of spending the money :)

I must say, whatever doubts I had have been swept away by the samples,

Incidentally, over at dpreview it's been renamed - this is because it is basically a new PEN camera, and because it has IS

Welcome the
PEN-IS

Brian Mosley

Well, what about this sample - the 17mm f2.8 wide open...

From the dpreview sample set here :
http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/olympusep1_preview/

Click on the image above to download the full size original - check out the image sharpness... wow!

OK, so there's some dodgy bokeh on that highlight - but for a pancake lens it's certainly plenty sharp enough wide open!

I'm definitely buying this cam.

Kind Regards

Brian

monza

With a big back-lit background it's hard to judge bokeh but the lens certainly looks sharp wide open. Now, where is that face algorithm to clean up complexions? :)

Rawfa

:D Glad I thought maybe that you hadn't liked the samples and were 'off the hook' of spending the money :)

QUOTE]

No way. Monza better bet getting ready to request a bigger Private Message account here at the forum to lodge all my constant messages asking "Did you receive the E-P1 yet?! Did you receive the E-P1 yet?! Was mine shipped yet?!" :D

Diane B

I was ready to pre order the 17 f/2.8 last night from Amazon for my G1. Monza, do you have a date for availability for separate lens? It is listed on Amazon, but not B & H--and I would like it sooner rather than later LOL--like everyone else.

I think this is a quite interesting camera--as I've said, I can't see my need of one--won't pocket it, do like VF (have real issues with shooting with LCD often)--but I surely think its going to do well. For those that like small cams with LCD, then this is a HUGE step forward.

Diane

Ben Rubinstein

Incidentally, over at dpreview it's been renamed - this is because it is basically a new PEN camera, and because it has IS

Welcome the
PEN-IS

Oh dear oh dear.... :ROTFL:

monza

I was ready to pre order the 17 f/2.8 last night from Amazon for my G1. Monza, do you have a date for availability for separate lens? It is listed on Amazon, but not B & H--and I would like it sooner rather than later LOL--like everyone else.

Hi Diane, the Oly rep is supposed to come by with a demo and have all the details...I hope to get some hands on, and try out some adapted lenses to try the manual focus. I'll bring an M adapter and Pen F adapter and lenses.

jonoslack

Hi Diane, the Oly rep is supposed to come by with a demo and have all the details...I hope to get some hands on, and try out some adapted lenses to try the manual focus. I'll bring an M adapter and Pen F adapter and lenses.
HI Monza
that would be great . . where is your business by the way, people seem to be ordering from you . . . I wasn't aware.