The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-P1 is out....

Diane B

HI Monza
that would be great . . where is your business by the way, people seem to be ordering from you . . . I wasn't aware.
Thanks for asking Jono. I was going to--but then decided he was not in US, so not very helpful for me.

I am looking forward to your tests though Monza. I try to be openminded about this--love the camera otherwise except for the VF issue. I Just know that I have problems with it. I read on the Oly forum about someone that holds his LCD just a foot from his face--but I need readers LOL--and not sure I could find any that would allow that. I'm going to try shooting with the G1 with only the LCD for a bit (if it ever EVER quits raining--inside, its no issue) and see. I need another camera like a hole in the head, but I admit I'm intrigued by this one with the 17 mounted.

Diane

R

Ranger 9

Hi Diane, the Oly rep is supposed to come by with a demo and have all the details...I hope to get some hands on, and try out some adapted lenses to try the manual focus. I'll bring an M adapter and Pen F adapter and lenses.
Yes, the manual-focus thing is hugely important to a lot of us here (including you, I know) and it's also the kind of thing that the big-name sites are likely to overlook or underplay in their reports, so will be very interested in what you think.

As a user proposition, the Eepy One doesn't make much sense to me so far (although I'm smitten by its looks and size like everyone else) but if it has good manual-focus capability, I could begin to see the logic of it.

I wonder if Hoodman is working on a designer shade for the LCD...

PS -- Monza, I take it you're a dealer? Would it violate anti-plug etiquette to ask for a pointer to your website/store info/whatever?

R

Ranger 9

Uwe Steinmueller is using one (Hoodman) on 3" LCD (not sure what camera, but small one)
I'm sure they've got one that will fit -- but if it isn't color-coordinated, it is not going to harmonize with the whole Eepy One aesthetic...

V

Vivek

Shouldn't we be all typing in matching colors while chatting about the EePey one (love that, sounds matchingly classy, IMHO)? :confused:

While on the matching accessories- why are those two lenses from Oly shown without any hoods (matching colors, naturally, goes without saying)?

peterb

When the G1 came out I rushed to get it. I thought (and still think) it is a superb compact picture taking device. I like the EVF. And only wish that Oly will offer up the MFT equiv's of the luscious 4/3 Zuiko lenses they've created, that are fully AF functional.

I'm gonna hold back on the Pen for now. For several reasons. One, while I'm okay with an add-on VF (like the voightlander I'd jury rigged on my LX-1 several years back) for say, the fixed f2.8 17mm (34mm equiv) that makes a great walk about lens/camera combo, I was hoping that there would have been an internal EVF tucked away in the camera providing the SLR like framing the original film Pen had. So use with the zooms would be more useful. I am encouraged by the new processing engine that may be a great step forward in mft image quality at higher ISOs. Currently it seems to spaz out at 800 or so. Although 1600 is, in my opinion, useable, certainly in BW which has a nice nostalgic feel to it.

Two (and perhaps most significantly) I'm mainly troubled that the AF is apparently somewhat slow. I wasn't expecting something lightning fast like on a Canon or Nikon top of the line DSLR but I wish OLY had considered Pana's vastly improved contrast detection at the very least. THAT is the price of admission today. And while some here have expressed optimism that the somewhat less than typical resolution expected today on the rear LCD will certainly suffice in focusing lenses manual via the electronic blow up, I have my doubts. And would have preferred at least ONE form of the EVF to be of sufficient resolution where that wouldn't be a concern.

Perhaps the next model. And one also available in black. (I know some folks like the silver bodies but they've always come off like a fishing lure to me when I want to be somewhat unobtrusive as I snap away.) Or, if the posted images I saw on this thread are somewhat accurate, what Panasonic may have up their clever sleeves...a compact DSLR like MFT that doesn't feel the need to mimic the prism hump of a DSLR to gain acceptance as a bona fide picture taking machine.

So in the meantime I'll continue with my G1 and see what the two MFT brothers offer next.

monza

Thanks for asking Jono. I was going to--but then decided he was not in US, so not very helpful for me.
No, you're right, I'm not in the USA, I'm in Texas, we have our own Republic here. :)

As is the norm, the authorized dealers are the last to know anything. I hope to change that...

-Robert

Diane B

No, you're right, I'm not in the USA, I'm in Texas, we have our own Republic here. :)

As is the norm, the authorized dealers are the last to know anything. I hope to change that...

-Robert
Well, dadgum--who woulda' thunk that (guess I haven't been around long enough to know that).

So--nice to know you are an authorized Oly dealer (Panny too by any chance??). Would be nice to do business with a forum member.

Diane

Godfrey

Just curious, does no one here with a G1 use the LCD to manual focus? I do it all the time... not at "arm's length" but a foot or so away. It's super-useful! Though I have to say the articulation is a big part of that. ...
Like this one, ISO 100 @ f/2.8 @ 1/50 second, G1 in front of me with the Olympus G.Zuiko 40mm f/1.4 on it, about 1.8' focusing distance...

Nothing special in the picture, of course: just a simple still life. :)

Terry

Godfrey,
I use the G1 to manual focus all the time, but again like you say generally not out too far in front of me and with the LCD tilted.

Diane B

I use the LCD to manual focus if its close, an otherwise odd subject placement or tripod primarily. Works okay if sunlight isn't an issue. I always tilt the LCD though.

Diane

Brian Mosley

Yes, an articulating LCD is infinitely preferable to a fixed one... when I first saw the rear of the E-P1, I wondered whether the LCD would articulate - but no luck this time :cry:

Kind Regards

Brian

Terry

I wasn't going to give it a try and then I did read that the Panny lenses were focusing much faster than the Oly lenses so I have hope that maybe there is something they can do in firmware.
I ordered the 17mm kit and we shall see how it goes. I've gotten better at selling things so there is always an out if I don't like it.

monza

Well, dadgum--who woulda' thunk that (guess I haven't been around long enough to know that).

So--nice to know you are an authorized Oly dealer (Panny too by any chance??). Would be nice to do business with a forum member.
Premier Olympus, as well as Leica, Nikon, Zeiss, etc.

No, farther south:)

http://www.precision-camera.com

iiiNelson

Cool... I'm always for helping out a fellow Texan. I may drop in to see what yall have when I come through Austin in a couple weeks if I get time on my vacation.

Diane B

I wasn't going to give it a try and then I did read that the Panny lenses were focusing much faster than the Oly lenses so I have hope that maybe there is something they can do in firmware.
I ordered the 17mm kit and we shall see how it goes. I've gotten better at selling things so there is always an out if I don't like it.
I'm glad you did. I'm wavering on the 17 f/2.8 for the G1 but won't buy the EP-1 at this point. IF I did, I would need to sell the G9 and the 400D--and I'm terrible about selling things.

Diane