The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-P1 is out....

Tim

Which applications (Win) can read the E-P1 RAW files? Photoshop?, Capture One?

Any suggestions? :grin:

I need education about the .orf format. :lecture:

Thanks

jonoslack

Which applications (Win) can read the E-P1 RAW files? Photoshop?, Capture One?

Any suggestions? :grin:

I need education about the .orf format. :lecture:

Thanks
HI Tim
I think this may be a real issue.
It sounds like Olympus are putting lens information into the RAW files (like panasonic have done with the LX3 and G1 - this seems to limit the RAW support.

I imagine that ACR and Lightroom will be on board quite soon. Aperture have yet to fully support ANY camera with lens information, I wonder if they will?

Olympus Master and Studio will, of course, support the files, and they are reasonably good examples of proprietary software.

I just wish they would use .dng like Leica do - it makes life so much simpler!

With a bit of luck Capture One will support the camera, but I guess it all depends on how well it takes off.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
HI Jorgen
I didn't know that - how sensible they are . . . the K7 looks great, but it's no more pocketable than an M8, the A900 with the 24-105 . . or, indeed, a london bus :)
That's right, and when there's a viewfinder version of the Olympus out, I'll be running for it, to use with my OM primes (if I have any money left after buying the Pentax :confused: ). For me, the Pentax will be a bit of an M8 substitute. Think the M8 with a 90/2, the K-7 with a 77/1.8 and an A900 with a 135/1.8. I'm not sure which will be the most compact, but I know which one will be way bigger and heavier than the other two.

But of course, compared to the London Bus, they will all seem rather tiny :LOL:

Ummm... I had to check. The Pentax combo is slightly lighter than the Leica. The Sony is the same as the two combined. Not sure about the bus. Depends if it has a full tank, doesn't it :toocool:

jonoslack

That's right, and when there's a viewfinder version of the Olympus out, I'll be running for it, to use with my OM primes (if I have any money left after buying the Pentax :confused: ). For me, the Pentax will be a bit of an M8 substitute. Think the M8 with a 90/2, the K-7 with a 77/1.8 and an A900 with a 135/1.8. I'm not sure which will be the most compact, but I know which one will be way bigger and heavier than the other two.

But of course, compared to the London Bus, they will all seem rather tiny :LOL:

Ummm... I had to check. The Pentax combo is slightly lighter than the Leica. The Sony is the same as the two combined. Not sure about the bus. Depends if it has a full tank, doesn't it :toocool:
Hmm well
M8 = 591gm
K7 = 750
A900 = 895

So the Pentax is closer to the A900 than the leica. I'm sure the pentax 77 1.8 is lovely, but it's hardly comparable to the 135 zeiss (at least in focal length), and if you put the 75 'cron on the Leica instead ?

:p

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hmm well
M8 = 591gm
K7 = 750
A900 = 895

So the Pentax is closer to the A900 than the leica. I'm sure the pentax 77 1.8 is lovely, but it's hardly comparable to the 135 zeiss (at least in focal length), and if you put the 75 'cron on the Leica instead ?

:p
You forgot the weight of the lenses. The Cron is 500g, the Pentax 270g and the Zeiss 1,050g. The Pentax 77/1.8 and the 35/2.8 macro and the 15/4.0 and the weather sealed 55/1.4 weighs in at 1,072g. Even the excellent, weather sealed 50-135/2.8 isn't more than 765g. From an objective point of view, the Pentax 70/2.4 is a better lens than the 77mm. It's sharp from corner to corner, even wide open, it's cheaper, it's smaller and it's even lighter at 130g, but it's also 7mm shorter and one stop slower.

The Cron and the Pentax will give an FOV corresponding to somewhere between 115 and 120mm on 35mm. A bit shorter than the Zeiss, but not by very much. The Pentax is the weakest lens of these when it comes to edge sharpness wide open, and there's some purple fringing as well, but apart from that, it's a very strong contender.

Olympus would undoubtedly be able to make lenses that compare well with these as well, but they don't, at least not for the time being. There's the 50/2.0 macro of course, but that's basically it, at least as long as we talk about fast primes.

If weight, size and cost weren't issues, my priorities would possibly look differently, but I'm searching for the best system that can be carried anywhere. The Zeiss/Sony lenses are too big and too heavy, while the Leica is too expensive, which leaves me with the Pentax, at least for now.

Last edited:

monza

They are just saying 'July' which could mean they ship one camera to each dealer the last day of July...that would be enough to fulfill their promise. The rep is supposed to come by today, maybe there will be some more useful information...

Diane B

Thanks for that. It was good seeing it in hand (I did notice that one was using the big wrist/hand grip--wondering if he felt it was easier to handle that way--or afraid to drop it).

I still like the camera but no matter what they say, I know, having tried it with other cameras, that I just am never happy without the option for a VF--I just often can't see adequately in daylight. But--I really do love the design *smile*. I'll watch on the sidelines and see how others feel about it.

Diane

monza

The most interesting comment to me, was the performance of the LCD in bright light. Of course, these are Olympus people, not independent users, but that bodes pretty well nonetheless.

R

Ranger 9

The most interesting comment to me, was the performance of the LCD in bright light. Of course, these are Olympus people, not independent users, but that bodes pretty well nonetheless.
Then again, what else are Olympus reps gonna say?

"Geez, I can't see @#$% in this thing..." "CUT!"

I mean, it might be fine... but I'll believe it when I see it.

[Gratuitous comment: Of the presenters in the video, I'd like my demo from the nice blonde lady, please...]

Speaking of blonde -- did it look to anyone else as if the back surfaces of the camera have a kind of "champagne" metal finish, or was that just weird white balance on the video?

Last edited:

monza

The rep has arrived, I'll be trying it out for myself in the Texas sun in a few minutes. :) Unfortunately the rep isn't the blonde...

monza

I just checked out the E-P1, here are my initial observations, bear in mind I only had a few minutes with the camera, it really takes a lot more time to carefully evaluate details.

1. LCD performs well in bright light, of course others may disagree, but I believe it is more than up to the task. Can you shoot with the sun directly shining over your shoulder into the LCD? No, but that is a rather rare occurrence, it's fairly easy to shift the angle of view and recompose, indirect bright light is not a problem. I didn't see any issues using the lower res display.
2. Autofocus on the kit zoom has more vibration than the Pansonic kit lens, but seems to be about the same speed, certainly fast enough for me.
3. The rep did not have the 17mm or the viewfinder, he did have the flash and the 4/3 adapter (but not the OM adapter.)
4. Manual focus works very similarly to the G1 -- press the info button, then ok, then use the thumbwheel to use 7x or 10x magnification
5. I tried putting a Pen F lens on the camera but the RJ (Jinfinance) adapter does not mount. I will try the Hawk adapter and some M adapters next.
6. I like the menu interface, it appears to have two sets of them, one more akin to point and shoots and one more like the Oly DSLRs, so whichever way the user is coming from, the camera can accommodate.
7. The Panasonic kit lens worked fine on the Oly, the Oly kit lens worked fine on the Panasonic.
8. I really like in body image stabilization!
9. The E-P1 is actually smaller than the original Pen (in this case a Pen FV.)
10. I like the stainless steel.
11. The control dial is pretty slick, it can rotate (ipod-ish) or can be operated with top/bottom/left/right button press.