The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-P1 is out....

Brian Mosley

Thanks monza, cool shots. How does focus confirm work in MF mode? and does it also work with legacy lenses fitted via the adapter?

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers

Brian

Diane B

Well, great monza. It does look terrific. Wish he had brought the 17--since that's the one that interests me. Thanks for the flickr set too. Interesting to see the lenses reversed--more or less.

Diane

monza

When I compared the autofocus, the G1 seemed a tad quicker, but maybe that was just due to my familiarity with the G1, or it could have been because the G1 AF is very smooth, where the E-P1 seemed to have more vibration in the lens.

The E-P1 seems very solidly built, especially comparing the shutter feel between the E-P1 and the G1. Kinda like comparing a Leica M7 to a Bessa or something. Not sure if that gives everyone a good idea of what I'm trying to describe, or not. Even though the camera is light, it seems very solid compared to the G1.

I tried the Hawk c-mount/Pen F adapter, the Milich LTM, and the Milich M adapter, they all fit fine. The Jinfinance Pen F adapter would not mount at all, there is some conflict that prevents it from turning onto the bayonet.

Here are some photos of the camera with adapted lenses:

And lastly a shot taken with the E-P1 using a 40/1.4 Pen F lens, focus was on the 4/3 logo on the E-30.

Focusing with legacy lenses works pretty much the same as on the G1, except that a half-press of the shutter button does not revert the image back to live view, it remains magnified. To turn off magnification, fire the shutter or press the ok button.

Also, the rep said that the Info button would 'remember' the last function pressed but I couldn't get this to work for some reason, or maybe I misunderstood him. The info button will bring up several other options including the manual focus box (which can be moved around the screen the same way it works on the G1) but sometimes I had to press the Info several times, cycling thru these other options, before getting to the manual focus box.

monza

Yes, I *really* wanted to see the 17 and the viewfinder, to try on the G1, too. :)

Apparently the camera will be shipping more towards the beginning of July than the end...

Diane B

I can only say that it is a very handsome camera. I'm trying very hard not to be tempted--at least until Fall sometime. After the dust settles, I see how others are using it and feel about it--and maybe after Panasonic moves forward with more--I'll make a decision. Not as though I'm camera poor LOL.

Diane

Y.B.Hudson III

I say beauty is as beauty does... and on paper I don't see any improvements that would overshadow the G1...other than t' cuteness factor... oops... forgot about the 17mm lens:)

monza

The main advantage I see, compared to how I use the G1, is having image stabilization with adapted lenses. Can't do that on the G1.

R

Ranger 9

The main advantage I see, compared to how I use the G1, is having image stabilization with adapted lenses. Can't do that on the G1.
That IS a big advantage... although you also could say that it needs it more, since you can stabilize the G1 by pressing it against your face as you use the eye-level finder, vs. manipulating the Eepy from a forearm's length away...

E

EWR72

Thanks for the information and images. I am looking forward to seeing your take on the 17mm and VF combination when you get stock in. It sounds like a set-up I would be very happy with as I enjoy using a viewfinder with my LX3.

Diane B

I say beauty is as beauty does... and on paper I don't see any improvements that would overshadow the G1...other than t' cuteness factor... oops... forgot about the 17mm lens:)
I said something similar in the beginning also---but besides being handsome, it would have to complement the G1 in some way. No--no improvements I see (not sure about IS since its never been something that I've needed--I have only one lens with IS for my Canon system), but it could be a second m4/3rds, smaller, slip in the pocket with the 17 or 20. However, I wouldn't buy one until I see what Panasonic is going to do this Fall. I use alternative lenses with adaptors almost totally--and I would have to experience the MF assist without a VF for me to consider it.

Right now, I'm still loving my G1--it does all I ask and more than I expected when I bought it in January.

Diane

monza

I'd seriously consider getting an E-P1 even if I never shoot photos with it. It would be a VERY nice complementary camera to the G1, simply because it can shoot video with the same lenses. I have no need for the high-end video features of the GH1.

V

Vivek

Robert, Would the 17/2.8 also be available along with the cam?

(Would there be black version of that lens? :) )

monza

Yes, according to the rep, it will. Although the pricing is better to buy the 17 with the camera...if you don't want the camera, one could sell it separately. :)