The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-P1 is out....

Terry

Here is a preview at DCResource.

http://www.dcresource.com/

I'm a bit disappointed in some of the features.....like viewfinder (or lack thereof).

The 14-42 looks cute collapsed. Not so cute extended. Still can't see how easy it is going to be to "manually zoom, change settings, hold the camera away from you and take the shot.

just my two cents worth

nostatic

Hmm. You slap a zoom on it and it no longer is very compact.

How about this? You get a 100% optical pentaprism viewfinder ;)

iiiNelson

I'm not impressed at all from initial specs/impressions either to be honest. I'm very glad I didn't wait on this and got a G1 at this point. The smaller size is nice and I wanted a second M 4/3 body but no viewfinder at all so to speak is a no deal on a $900 camera body. I may pick up the 17mm Pancake though. Hopefully Panasonic will sell the G1 body alone or with the 7-14mm lens as I still want that lens as well.

pentacon6

I would like to say both cameras have their "do and don't".
GH1 is the strongest video digital camera without sensor shift stabilizer.
E-P1 is the smallest m4/3 digital with sensor shift stabilizer but not strong in HD video.

To all the fans of manual focus lenses, E-P1 is really more attractive for her
technical spec. An interesting diversify market of photo or video shooting
may be getting clearer.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Hmm. You slap a zoom on it and it no longer is very compact.

How about this? You get a 100% optical pentaprism viewfinder ;)

Nostatic, believe it or not, when I looked at this photo of the K-7 plus the 40/2.8 Limited, I heard Jackie Gleason (as Ralph Kramden in The Honeymooners) saying: "How sweet it is!"

hot

DSLR eunuch ? :D :p

optical pentaprism viewfinder is out

I heard Panasonic invented something new :rolleyes:

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I would like to say both cameras have their "do and don't".
GH1 is the strongest video digital camera without sensor shift stabilizer.
E-P1 is the smallest m4/3 digital with sensor shift stabilizer but not strong in HD video.

To all the fans of manual focus lenses, E-P1 is really more attractive for her
technical spec. An interesting diversify market of photo or video shooting
may be getting clearer.
How can the E-P1 be "more attractive " for manual focus when it has to be held out at arms length to focus? :thumbdown:

Olympus has forgotten what made the PEN F what it was.

'No matter how capable it may be, any camera you have to hold out in front of you like a tourist is not cool.'
Dean Forbes

Brian Mosley

'No matter how capable it may be, any camera you have to hold out in front of you like a tourist is not cool.'
Dean Forbes
I'm not going to trash it completely, until I've used it... but considering there are 10x the number of P&S cameras out there - framing at arms length is by far the most common method these days.

You're more likely to look like a tourist using an OVF.

Kind Regards

Brian

btrancho

Is there any hint about when the camera and lenses will actually be shipping? Amazon is already taking pre-orders ($699.99- body only, $799.99-899.99 for the kits, $229.99 for the 1.7). I'm going very slowly on this one. I think it will be important see the reviews and then get one in my hands before I make any judgment.

Diane B

Bob--I wondered when I saw that you said $229 for the f/1.7--but just having read the dcresource article, I saw that it is still the F/2.8 that was rumored.

My question is--what do you gain once you take off the 17? Not pocketable, no EVF, etc. Glad I bought the G1--and expect, unless the next iteration has a VF--that I will buy the GH1--or 2 or whatever, for my next m4/3rds body. I like its looks though *smile*--but pretty is as pretty does LOL.

Diane

jonoslack

Well, I don't like holding things at arms length either . . . but then I don't like EVF's, and I do like to be able to put something with good IQ into my pocket.

So, as long as the performance isn't like the DP1, the raw files are supported somewhere other than Olympus studio then I guess I'm on board.

The trouble with teaser campaigns like that is it gives us all the chance to imbue the new camera with all the features we'd like it to have. Which leads inevitably to an anti-climax.

For me, if you'd said:

slightly larger than a D-lux4
Sensor image stabilisation
IQ of a larger (4/3) sensor
interchangeable lenses (ability to use all 4/3 lenses with autofocus)
6400 ISO

six months ago, then I'd have bitten your hand off - today I've taken all that for granted and I'm left wanting more.

But which other camera even gets near to those characteristics? Added to which most other compacts either have no OVF or a terribly rudimentary and fundamentally useless one.

monza

Sometime in July for ship date, the Olympus rep will be here this week with a demo and should have more info regarding availability.

Bill Gordon

I think that this camera will be just what the Doctor ordered for "Olde" Bill. Very small, compact, light and what the heck, I'll get used to used the LCD screen instead of a viewfinder!! I have to say that I am glad to have lived long enough to see the evolution of the camera. I started out in 1948 and have lived through all the changes in film and now digital. I lived in the darkroom with a hands on approach of a wet process..I have mastered to the degree I need Photoshop so what else can I say. Along the way I have met some damned good photographers who have happened to be great companions on a days outing with our cameras and over the years it has been a great experience. I will be 83 in a couple of weeks and I am still enjoying the hobby.

By the way, I think that of all the forums I like this one best of all!!

peterb

I like the pancake lens which is a useful 34mm equiv in 35mm speak. And I like the available viewfinder (since the Pen is SANS any EVF/TTL viewing system at this time. : ( That alone will make the Pen a fine pocketable camera. But I wished the speed would have been better than a paltry f2.8. (Interestingly, the Lumix LX3 and the Leica equiv. have an f2.0 zoom for 24-80mm equiv. in 35mm.)

Similarly, the zoom is not all that fast either. I was hoping some re-designs of their stellar zuikos would have made it to the MFT mount. Amazing optics. Smaller design. But the adapter is quite promising. (They're claiming full AF compatibility or so I think so now I'm wondering if that Olympus MFT adapter if put on the G1 or G1HD will allow FULL access to those juicy Zuikos as well. Hmmmmmmm.)

jonoslack

HI Peter
Well, if the ISO 6400 is any good, that should make up for the f2.8 (especially if you add in sensor stabilisation).

The LX3 doesn't really go above ISO 400 (IMHO).

I liked the bit on the first page of the Dpreview preview where Simon Joinson said that the lighter AA filter and more powerful processor seemed to be doing a good job with respect to sharpness and noise.

The lack of a decent viewfinder solution is a disappointment (but predictable considering the size). I think everything else looks rather promising.

M

Mingjai

I too am happy with the G1 and will be passing on the E-P1, though it is nice to have some company in the m4/3s product space. No EVF or articulating LCD are the major factors.

Looks like I'm also going to holding out for the mythical 20mm f/1.7 lens. While 17mm is an attractive focal length, f/2.8 only gives at most a 1 stop advantage over the 14-45mm kit.

Given that Olympus has chosen this form factor, I'd like to see a few more primes from them. A 12mm f/2.8 and a 40mm f/1.8 would be nice, as well as a 25mm f/2. They don't have to be pancakes--I'd be okay with anything that's smaller than the ZD 25mm + adapter.