The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The official Olympus E-P1 page is here

cjlacz

Read through the preview quickly. Looks like they did a good job with the control scheme. That I was worried about, but I'm not sure it's up to the level up the Ricoh. That might depend on how much you can customize some of the buttons. I'm glad they got two dials in there.

On the bad side, CDAF looks like it's going to be only a little faster then the E-620 and E-30. That's a big disappointment compared to the G1. Hopefully this will get improved with new firmware. Also, they mention AF on the long end of the zoom seems slow. Slow lenses seem to have more of an affect on CDAF then PDAF.

I probably won't pick one up yet. (might change when I see it) The lenses aren't really what I want and it's rather expensive. I'm not opposed to having a camera without a EVF, but I would of liked to see a better screen for the price (OLED, or resolution). Hopefully an EVF is coming, but Panasonic's solution seemed rather big for such a small body.

kweide

... and it will autofocus ALL Digital ZUIKO lenses....and offers ISO6400 in a very good basequality. This looks very promising. I really hope the MMF-1 Adapter will be available as soon as the cam itself

cjlacz

I have to agree that 6400 looked surprising good. Being able to focus my other lenses certainly makes it a little more tempting.

Photomorgana

The Ep-1 looks odd with zoom lens on it, especially when unlocked.
17mm lens is great, but not amazing. Oly please give us fast, small primes.
I really like the way the camera looks and I would totally buy it if it had an EFV.
Ep-1 would look awesome with C-mounts, pen and leica-m lenses.
please Oly give me an EVF.
Reduce the LCD size down to 1.8inch, but give us EVF!!!

Tim

Has anyone seen if the RAW format for the E-P1 is DNG? Don't Olympus tend to use a new RAW format with each new camera release?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This is extremely impressive. No, it doesn't have a viewfinder, but apart from that, it has all the features of any amateur DSLR, it's half the weight and a fraction of the size, and it mounts every Olympus lens ever made, and most other lenses as well, all of them with IS.

If this doesn't sell by the truckload, to soccer moms and professionals alike, I don't know what is going on. I hate cameras without viewfinders, but I think I'll make an exception for this one :)

Walkaround kit: the 17mm, OM 35mm f/2.0, OM 50mm f/2.0 macro and OM 100mm f/2.8.... if the LCD works well enough for manual focusing. If not, I'll wait for the version with a viewfinder.

Last edited:

gDallasK

A great camera - but probably not for me.

Having read the preview at DPreview, I have to confess that I'm mildly disappointed. But that is just a reflection of my personal needs. I won't argue that this is in many regards - and for most users - a great camera.

DPreviews comment about the difficulty of using manual focus in bright light outdoors suggests that I'll have trouble using my Leica M lenses. On my G1, it is easy to focus in such conditions with the EVF - but the E-P1 has no EVF. Nor does the screen articulate. And even if I were to use the kit lenses I'm sure I'd be frustrated by the slow autofocus.

So it seems that the G1 will continue to feature in my camera bag as back-up to my M8 for a while yet. Hopefully the rumoured new smaller camera from Panasonic won't ditch the EVF.

P

PeterLeyssens

Hi,

The good news for all us manual focus lovers, is that the DPReview preview says the camera has focus confirmation that also works with manual lenses. It doesn't mention whether the IS will work, but if it does, things are starting to look good.

Coming from a Zorki, I'm used to using 2 different windows for focus and composing. I wonder what it'll feel like if the focus window is 3" large...

Peter.