The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

avoid Panasonic update ...

pellicle

Hi

Sadly, I have a friend who's telescope shop burned down one night due
its interesting how memory cues work. My good friend had his house damaged badly when a flash unit caught fire on the table (everyone was asleep). It had powered down (auto power off) and had been left sitting on the table.

This was using alkaline batteries ... and it was the flash.

I'd never have thought it had the capacity for a house fire if you'd have asked me either!

:)

hot

someone has calculated that ink consumption (original ink) is ~ five times as expensive as the printer's price.

Perhaps Panasonic should sell their batteries for $ 500 ....

V

Vivek

Hot, I went through >2000 listings on eBay but can't find that battery you show.

Could you provide a link? Thanks!

V

Vivek

I did search for the battery that you showed. The links you give here are not for them either? :confused:

Where did you buy the "SIDO", 1400 mAH, 7.2V battery?

V

Vivek

Thanks! Ordered some.

It would be useful to everyone if you could compare the original and the knock-off in terms of performance (how many frames approximately with full charge and the like).

I will when I get mine.

BTW, there something odd about the battery prices in the Netherlands (perhaps true for the EU zone as well?). Every damn battery in a shop is 3-5X times the price from eBay or online shops, even for the very same ones.:eek:

hot

If you buy nonames - f.e. at amazon marketplace - you also pay 20-30 €.
From Honkong the price is € 9.35, including wrapping & porto (~ HK$ 7) - so the dealer gets ~ € 8 . Delivery takes 4-6 days.

It's funny, Panasonics batteries are (also) "Made in China" .. perhaps they come out from the same machine :-}

Since years I use my Canon-nonames for € 4.99, always working well. Often shipping is more expensive than battery :)

slau

Some of the batteries can be actually from exactly the same manufacturer and machine.

It is known to be a common practice to produce extra volume of product, in addition to the order from Panasonic, and called them 'rejected'. Those so called 'rejected' will later be shipped to another shop to put a different label/brand on and go to the market. The owner of the factory may not even know about the 'rejects'.

If you worry about buying things from China, you may as well make your own products :).

V

Vivek

Got them. Thanks, hot! :)

Works as well as the original (perhaps better, I will go through one charge to compare..)

R

Ranger 9

USER: Hello, Panasonic? My camera seems to be all melty. Obviously a manufacturing defect. Please replace it immediately under warranty.

PANA: Sorry, it's not our responsibility. You were using a third-party battery which had internal resistance that did not meet our specifications, causing it to overheat.

USER: But the batteries look exactly the same!

PANA: You can't measure internal resistance by looking. That's why we put out a firmware update that disables use of third-party batteries.

USER: I know, but I didn't install it because I wanted to be able to use third-party batteries. They might be exactly the same as the manufacturer battery. They might even have come from exactly the same plant. It says so on the Internet, and the Internet doesn't lie!

PANA: Whatever. But by putting out a firmware update and a warning, we expressly directed against use of third-party batteries. We consider disregard of our directions to be abuse, so we do not consider the damage to be covered by your warranty.

USER: You mean just because I didn't update my firmware and disregarded your warning, you are going to ignore my complaint?

PANA: We mean that if you use non-approved batteries, you're on your own, pal.

USER: Well, I think you are big poopy heads! You should honor your warranty no matter what people do to their cameras. I am going to hire a lawyer and sue you.

PANA: Why pay to hire a lawyer when you can get great legal advice on the Internet for free?

USER: You think I'd be stupid enough to use cheap, cut-rate legal advice I found on the Internet?

PANA: Sheesh. [click]

V

Vivek

I wonder if Olympus disables 3rd party PS BLS-1 knock offs.

Perhaps the E-P is impervious to the Panasoic meltdown?:rolleyes:

Terry

Actually people are having problem on the E-P1 as the knock off batteries aren't fitting into the camera properly.

V

Vivek

Terry, I am sure there are knock offs that fit. I have not experienced any problems with the 3rds party batteries I have on the E-410.

FWIW, my current G1 has lost two of the lens contacts during one experiment. So, no worries about AF or OIS blowing up.