The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 and IR

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Terry,
Before you shoot, you need a WB preset. Precision may have done this for you. If not, shoot the leaves on a tree or grass (fill the frame) and save it as a preset. Leave it on this preset forever.
I swapped the channels in channel mixer and made a preset for IR. Now I can just click for the conversion (false color). Read about it here: http://deborahsandidge.com/-/deborahsandidge/article.asp?ID=2903
Deborah Sandidge has a great article on conversion.
I did some masking on the schoolhouse image to change the colors around a bit.
It seems like the possibilities are endless.

V

Vivek

Cindy, These are some of the first shots from your IR dedicated G1?:)

(Please provide some data- aperture, shutter speed, ISO).

If you have, you can also try mounting stronger IR filters (720nm, 760nm, etc) on the lens to get stronger IR effects.

On the RAW file of the shot you posted, you could also try the black or white dropper and look at the color IR.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Cindy, These are some of the first shots from your IR dedicated G1?:)

(Please provide some data- aperture, shutter speed, ISO).

If you have, you can also try mounting stronger IR filters (720nm, 760nm, etc) on the lens to get stronger IR effects.

On the RAW file of the shot you posted, you could also try the black or white dropper and look at the color IR.
First shots from G1 IR. I have lots of experimenting to do to find the sweet spot.

G1 IR and kit lens- 14mm, iso 100, f/8, 1/60

G1 IR, kit lens- 14mm, iso 100, f/14, 1/60

G1 IR, kit lens- 14mm, iso 100, f/11, 1/30

V

Vivek

Thanks for the additional info, Cindy.

The diffraction limit (visible light) on this sensor is f/11. I would keep the aperture at or above f/5.6 and not stop down any further. Diffraction sets in earlier in IR.

scho

I got my G1 back from Precision Camera. I had it modified with the 665nm option.
These two shots are my first attempt (false color).
]
Very nice IR images Cindy. Its great to have the option of handholding for IR with a converted camera. Does sensor cleaning still work or was that lost in the conversion?

Many options for false color conversions. Here is a simulation of the four seasons I did many years ago from a full color and IR shot of the same scene using a Nikon 950. Just mouse over the seasons.

Seasons

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Very nice IR images Cindy. Its great to have the option of handholding for IR with a converted camera. Does sensor cleaning still work or was that lost in the conversion?

Many options for false color conversions. Here is a simulation of the four seasons I did many years ago from a full color and IR shot of the same scene using a Nikon 950. Just mouse over the seasons.

Seasons
Carl, The Seasons is a beautiful series.

I'm looking forward to trying out all of my lenses. I don't want to be limited to the kit lens. I love the idea that there is lots of room for experimentation. The fact that you can shoot IR scenes when the light is too contrasty for regular photography was very appealing to me.

V

Vivek

Cindy, I can not say anything about the colors (my monitor sucks) but your last pic appears mushy. You may want to drop the exposure by a few eVs to avoid overexposure.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Cindy, I can not say anything about the colors (my monitor sucks) but your last pic appears mushy. You may want to drop the exposure by a few eVs to avoid overexposure.
original raw histogram and levels of final

Wouldn't I just be adding noise if I underexpose?

Diane B

A converted G1 would be terrific--just slip in the second body to be able to use as normal shooting or IR. My converted IR body is a Canon 10D which is almost as big as my 5D. While it is good with all lenses but my 12-24, having to carry 2 systems, one as big as EOS, is a pain and it usually gets left behind. The 2/G1 would be wonderful.

Diane

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
A converted G1 would be terrific--just slip in the second body to be able to use as normal shooting or IR. My converted IR body is a Canon 10D which is almost as big as my 5D. While it is good with all lenses but my 12-24, having to carry 2 systems, one as big as EOS, is a pain and it usually gets left behind. The 2/G1 would be wonderful.

Diane
I was thinking of having a Nikon converted, but then I found Precision Camera. Mark from Precision said that they hadn't done a G1 yet, but that they would give it a try. It only took a few days.
I watched the buy/sell and found a G1 body only to buy. Now my regular shooter is blue and my IR is black. Makes it very easy to grab the right one from the bag. Diane, you are right. It is so nice that they can share the lenses. The whole kit with a few lenses fits in a Domke F2. The two bodies with small lenses mounted, will fit in the Terraclime 100.

V

Vivek

original raw histogram and levels of final

Wouldn't I just be adding noise if I underexpose?
You would not be adding any noise. Despite what the histograms show, the leaves are overexposed (by a few eVs).

Green foliage is like a mirror in IR while water is near black (depending on the angle).

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
You would not be adding any noise. Despite what the histograms show, the leaves are overexposed (by a few eVs).

Green foliage is like a mirror in IR while water is near black (depending on the angle).
I will give it a try next time out with the camera. I'm anxious to try some of my pen f and the Oly 17mm lenses, too.

V

Vivek

Cindy, The Olympus D 17/2.8, I think, would give you "strange" results. From my initial experiments, this lens appears to have very good IR reflective coatings (front and rear).

The real pen F lenses should do very well (even compared to the Pana kit zoom).

Metering is going to be the most important thing. The exposure varies according to the subject and the IR content.

Here is an old (ie, from last year) snap using a D80-IR (Hoya R-72) and a Tamron 35-70 zoom. The stones were wet from the sea.

V

Vivek

Cindy, That seems to be correctly exposed.

(btw, the IR reflective coatings on the m4/3rds lenses are really something. They appear to be quite efficient).

Terry

OK,
I tried following the directions but honestly got a bit lost on step 4. Here is what I've got...not sure what the issue is on the upper right. I may have to get a G1 or something else converted. The sky on these small sensor jpegs is nothing to write home about.