The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EP-1 Slow Focus :(

clay stewart

I think it was the DCRP preview that compared the EP-1 focus speed to a couple of DSLRs and said it was slower. I think he was referring to the Sony A350 or something.

I've never tried the live view on that model, but I did own the Oly E330 for awhile and although it was faster to focus in live view than any other DSLR I've owned with live view (D300, D90 and E420), it was next to useless for street shooting. So, I can't help but wonder what good it is going to be for anything but static subjects. I started to think of work arounds, since I really like the concept of the EP-1.

I was thinking if it had a distance scale on the lenses, then that would help. Also, if it had something like the GRD2 which tells you what distance the lens is focusing to. I didn't see a distance scale on either of the kit lenses, but I wonder if there might be one built into the camera, like the GRD2?

I guess there is that zoom feature, for manual focus, but I wonder how useful that will be for moving subjects? :confused:

Last edited:

cjlacz

The only cameras they seemed to compare it to was the G1 and E-620. It's a little faster then the E-620 which isn't great. I think that was using a little bit older firmware and the latest seems to be a little faster from what I've read. The G1 have the fastest CDAF yet, and it's not up to that speed unfortunately. Somewhere in between might be acceptable, but not great.

pentacon6

I have tried using 17mm Zuiko on my G1. I think the focusing problem is due to the lens mechanical structure. The auto focus keeps zip and zap in the progress. IMO, it is still fast but a little shaky and noisy. It happens both on E-P1 and G1.

So if I want to compare, I would say the focusing speed is GH1 > E-P1/G1 (more or less the same)

Terry

I also read on DPReview that it seems to focus much faster with the Panny lenses mounted on it. So perhap lens firmware can improve?

V

Vivek

Robert, That is one of the sites that missed the boat on the G1. They are betting on the wrong horse this time.

monza

from The Online Photographer:

"I'll have to use it more, but my initial impression of the camera's magnified manual focus assist was also largely favorable—I think I could focus manually quite quickly in most conditions. "

"My time with the camera was too limited to say anything concrete about the autofocus system, except that it was not obviously slow in any way. "

pellicle

Hi

Just won a Zuiko OM 50mm 1.4 Macro for $72 on eBay. Should make a nice portrait lens on an E-P1!
I agree ... I did a quick comparison of my FD 50 and my Oly 1.8 and it was hands down the Oly.

I also find manual focus (using a G1) is really quite good on the manual lenses (with a moire pattern crinkle visible when you're bang on) and even more so with the magnifier. The firmware revision which keeps this happening longer is much welcomed.

jonoslack

I was thinking if it had a distance scale on the lenses, then that would help. Also, if it had something like the GRD2 which tells you what distance the lens is focusing to. I didn't see a distance scale on either of the kit lenses, but I wonder if there might be one built into the camera, like the GRD2?
HI There Clay
Of course, I don't know about the AF, so I won't speculate, let's hope it's not too bad.

However, as far as using hyperfocal distance, I agree that it's nice to have a distance scale on the camera, still, the advantage with the E-P1 is that you can really see the dof on the screen without the lost light which stopping down on an SLR traditionally causes.

So, I would have thought that if you were going to use this principle for street shooting it would be fine to get a reading on the best focus point using the screen on a static object, then changing to manual focus and tweaking according to instinct and experience.

To be honest, I've always found distance scales on digital cameras to be hopelessly optimistic about depth of field anyway.

I agree that this will take a little learning, but I suspect that having learned it it may be more intuitive than using a distance scale (you did have to learn to judge distances right?).

Also, my experience with the G1 told me that you could get a pretty damned good feel of the focus just looking at the LCD - without needing to zoom in, especially if you're in a street situation where you're likely to be shooting with a wider lens.

Added to which the extra DOF of the 4/3 sensor will be helping.

I don't know whether this will be a good functional solution or not, but I don't think it's time to write off the camera until one has had a real practice with it (or let someone else pay the money and do it for you!).

sangio

I recall reading when the G1 was announced, Panasonic claimed that part of the reason for its fast CDAF was a new AF mechanism in the lenses that operates at a much faster rate than traditional dSLR lenses. If that is really the case, then the CDAF speed in the new Olympus may be limited by the lenses themselves. It would be interesting to see how the EP-1 performs with Panasonic lenses.

One other specification that could impact on manual focus is the LCD refresh rate. The G1 and GH1 have a refresh rate of 60 frames per second; and and that speed, the image on the LCD responds very quickly to focus ring movement. I find manual focus with the G1 a real pleasure, and I use it a lot. I also have a camera with an LCD refresh rate of 15 frames per second, and MF is slow and very difficult since I continually have to wait for the LCD to "catch up". I have not been able to find any reference to the EP-1's LCD refresh rate, so we'll have to wait for more detailed reviews, or some user feedback.

The EP-1 looks really interesting, I would consider getting one with the pancake lens and the clip-on OVF, as a back-up for the G1, just so long as it has a respectable AF speed.

cheers
Santo

R

Ranger 9

It seems that people who have already pre-ordered their Eepy Ones have made up their minds in advance that the AF speed is going to be just fine, while those who have not anted up their $900 bets are pretty certain that it's going to be bog-slow. Same for high-ISO noise.

It'll be interesting to see how long the honeymoon lasts once the Eepies start getting into the new owners' hands.

And how long will it be before forum fantasists start posting that the Eepy One isn't quite enough, and that they're going to hold out for the Eepy Two? That will be the speculative "improved model" with EVF, 32 megapixels, 24x36mm "full frame" sensor, unlimited 1080p video recording with full manual controls, antigravity neckstrap lugs, flux capacitor, cybernetic nose-picker, and every other conceivable dream feature...all in the same-size body, of course...

Terry

It may play out that way but not all who have pre-ordered have assumed that either the AF or MF is going to be OK. I ordered because if it is fine I want to take it on my trip so waiting for all the reviews is not an option.

jonoslack

It may play out that way but not all who have pre-ordered have assumed that either the AF or MF is going to be OK. I ordered because if it is fine I want to take it on my trip so waiting for all the reviews is not an option.
Like Terry - I've pre-ordered mine from my local dealer because I think it sounds promising.

When it arrives I'll go in there, focus on Hannah's face in the store, and if it doesn't play I won't buy it :ROTFL:

As for the high ISO noise, I know what the E620 is like, and that would do for me . . . although all the reports seem to be that it's better

m3photo

Re: "improved model"

That will be the speculative "improved model" with EVF, 32 megapixels, 24x36mm "full frame" sensor, unlimited 1080p video recording with full manual controls, antigravity neckstrap lugs, flux capacitor, cybernetic nose-picker, and every other conceivable dream feature...all in the same-size body, of course...
Wow! Where do I sign? Oh, I see - you were kidding ... Damn.