The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EP-1 vs G1 image Quality

kuau

Workshop Member
When comparing these two cameras, Shooting raw should the image qulaity be the same?
Just wondering.
Thinking about getting into a micro 4/3 system
Steven

simonclivehughes

Steven,

I would assume it would be different as it is a different actual sensor which will have different characteristics, plus, different software to process (even for RAW) the data.

Cheers,

R

Ranger 9

One of the reviews I read said the sensor is the same as the one used in the G1 (not GH1.)

But even if that's true -- and you can't always trust online reviews, especially of not-yet-released cameras -- there still could be a lot of differences depending on firmware, raw-processing software, etc.

Plus... the E-P 1 has in-body stabilization, which could offer non-sensor-related better image quality when used with non-stabilized lenses. Then again, the G1 has an excellent eye-level finder as well as a back LCD, which could offer non-sensor-related better image quality through better focusing of non-AF lenses under a wider range of lighting conditions. The E-P 1's top ISO is 6400, which presumably might suggest better image quality in super-low light. On the other hand, the DxOmark tests showed that the G1's ISO ratings are about one stop "fat" (e.g., 1600 on the G1 equals about what would be rated as 3200 on many cameras) so the difference might not be significant.

In case it matters (which it might, if you're into "street fashion," in which case image quality is related to your ability to recruit models) I would suspect that all other things being equal, the E-P 1 will be better at "pulling birds" (as the Brits used to say) because of its very stylish looks. The G1 user probably could equalize that advantage by carrying a very cute puppy.

And on and on. Meaningful comparison testing is so difficult...

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

Thanks Terry,

my gut feeling is that it's the same sensor (looking at raw files from both G1 and E-P1 side by side) - and that Olympus have improved their NR and demosaicing algorithms to give the E-P1 a better low light capability.

Olympus have a superb jpeg engine - out of cam shots can be stunning... if you like Oly colour (who doesn't?)

Kind Regards

Brian

Godfrey

They will both make fine photos. Until the E-P1 ships with final fw, it's foolish to try to compare them at this level with regard to IQ.

Decide between them for the present on the basis of features and form factor.

kuau

Workshop Member
Thanks for all the replies.
Now which one should I get, G1 or EP-1, I know why not both lol
I am hoping in the near future olympus introduces a boby more like the G1 though.

Steven

kuau

Workshop Member
oh one more thing is the GH1 the same as the G1 except the GH1 does video also?????

Terry

The GH1 has a bigger sensor that allows you to shoot multiple aspect ratios without cropping. Don't have time to explain all that right now.

It is also said to have better higher ISO performance but there are some reports of banding. The DPReview final review should be interesting.

kuau

Workshop Member
Looking at the EP-1 specs it says it will do 16x9 but I wonder if it's at full res or just a crop.

hot

Tomorrow I'll get my GH1 :) I think I never wish/buy an E-P1 - it's an expensive toy.

No articulating display, no flash, NO EFV !!! , no grip, no fullHD, but price is HIGHER then GH1 (body = $/€ 600, E-P1 body = $/€ 700 .. without above 5 things :-( )

E-P1 is verrrry good for development of mFT, but it is not a "good" camera. With 14-42 & viewer it is not "pocketable" - for the money I get a 10x better GH1 :))))

Making videos with E-P1 is penalty and punishment. For video it's better to get a fullHD camcorder for half the price or a "pocketable" camera with 10x zoom and 1280x720 for a third of price - or f.e. Canon SX1 with EFV, articulating display, 20x zoom and fullHD (half price!)

C

cwilt

Who has EP-1 raw files they would share? Would like to compare raw to raw.

V

Vivek

Tomorrow I'll get my GH1 :) I think I never wish/buy an E-P1 - it's an expensive toy.

No articulating display, no flash, NO EFV !!! , no grip, no fullHD, but price is HIGHER then GH1 (body = $/€ 600, E-P1 body = $/€ 700 .. without above 5 things :-( )

E-P1 is verrrry good for development of mFT, but it is not a "good" camera. With 14-42 & viewer it is not "pocketable" - for the money I get a 10x better GH1 :))))

Making videos with E-P1 is penalty and punishment. For video it's better to get a fullHD camcorder for half the price or a "pocketable" camera with 10x zoom and 1280x720 for a third of price - or f.e. Canon SX1 with EFV, articulating display, 20x zoom and fullHD (half price!)
Hot, Where do you get your GH1 for 600 Euros?

Currently, in the Netherlands, the G1 is at 434 Euros (after a 125 Euro cash back from Panasonic). Excellent price!

BTW, Panasonic make all the NMOS sensors used in all m4/3rds and 4/3rds cameras.

f6cvalkyrie

Currently, in the Netherlands, the G1 is at 434 Euros (after a 125 Euro cash back from Panasonic). Excellent price!

That's indeed an excellent price that makes me want to have a second body (camera, not human :D)

Where do you have that from, Vivek ? I'm in Belgium, so Holland is not far away :p

C U,
Rafael

Rawfa

Jesus Christ, the camera isn't even out yet and people are already destroying it. This type of reaction is really beyond me.