The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which macro lens: Leica R 60mm f 2.8 or Oly 50mm 2.8

apicius9

Hi, I hope it's o.k. to add another question here rather than opening a new thread: I have also been thinking about the Leica R 60mm macro on my G1 for a long time but I'm not sure I do enough macro photography to justify the price over what I already have (a Canon FD 50/3.5 macro in the mail and a Switar 75/1.9 macro which I haven't even tried for macros, yet). I also understand that the Oly 50/2 is really worth the money, but I have so far managed without that adapter and would like to try and keep the number of formats low, I get easily confused ;)

Several things have been said here about extension rings, but I have not seen much about reverse adapters for macro shots. RJ offers a new m4/3 adapter for reversed 52mm lenses to be used for macro shots. Could anybody please comment on whether there are major differences in IQ and/or handling between extension rings and reversed lenses? Spending $22 for the reverse adapter and using my 50mm Summicron R (or almost any other lens with step rings) sounds much more attractive than spending $500 on a used Leica 60mm.

Thanks,

Stefan

ricseet

Thanks for sharing and being so helpful. Appreciate it very much.

cheers

ric

Hi

ok ... but every 50mm has the same depth of field at the same aperture ... just incase you thought I was demonstrating something specific to the Oly 50 (I was just showing what it would give with some extension).

have fun :)

pellicle

Hi

I have not used a reversed lens myself, but from what I understand it is quite the ideal way.

... seen much about reverse adapters for macro shots. RJ offers a new m4/3 adapter for reversed 52mm lenses to be used for macro shots.

... sounds much more attractive than spending $500 on a used Leica 60mm.
I agree and I think that the advantages you may see may not be worth the $500. My vote is that since the alternative is so cheap to try it and then if you feel that it is unsatisfactory then contemplate the "money is not a barrier" options.