The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Angénieux f:1.4 / 25mm C-mount

V

valtof

Hi
I'm (also) looking for an Angénieux 25mm in c-mount for my G1.
I already have a Canon TV16 f:1.4/25mm which has its own advantages : very small, in perfect condition, very short minimum focus distance of about 20cm, fully covering the sensor at this focus and almost full cover at infinity.
The image quality is quite good even wide open but given its optical formula (almost macro), the depth of field at "normal portrait" distance (around 1 meter or 2) is so so. Let's say that it's a good general purpose lens with a lack of character compared to other c-mount 25mm like the Angy.
Also consider that despite this weak point and a quite pronounced barrel distortion, I only paid 25€ for it !!!
If you are interested here are some samples as well as some taken with a f:2.5/75mm Angénieux at :
http://www.lutecia.info/umlaut/c-mount/
(lot of post-processing in LR but almost no cropping)

I had the opportunity to test an Angénieux f:0.95/25mm type M1.
The image quality is impressive but it really not fully cover the sensor, the barrel distortion is also quite pronounced and... it's very expensive.
I saw many pictures taken with its little brother the f:1.4/25mm (Type S41 I suppose) and it seems that this is really the lens to have instead of the f:0.95, and may be the best overall c-mount 25mm for this G1 purpose :

- Apparently fully covering the sensor (or is it because all these images are cropped ?) ;
- the barrel distortion seems very limited ;
- wide open, the depth of field and bokeh style is almost equivalent to the f:0.95.

I would be really delighted if someone could share his knowledge about this lens.
Thanks

V

Vivek

Full coverage with light fall off. It flares easily. Yes, the bokeh is fine.

I prefer my Computar-TV 25/1.3 (lighter, faster and sharper) over the S41.

(Instead of 25/0.95 Type M1, consider the Senko 25/0.95. Same coverage as the Angenieux, similar looking barrel (copy) and flatter field)

V

valtof

Full coverage with light fall off. It flares easily. Yes, the bokeh is fine.

I prefer my Computar-TV 25/1.3 (lighter, faster and sharper) over the S41.

(Instead of 25/0.95 Type M1, consider the Senko 25/0.95. Same coverage as the Angenieux, similar looking barrel (copy) and flatter field)
Thanks Vivek, interesting...

So I have well understood that compared to the type M1, the Angy S41 full covers the G1 sensor with only little vignetting, correct ?
If I don't bother too much and if you can, could you post a picture of what these other 25mm look like (Computar-TV 25/1.3 and Senko 25/0.95) ?

apicius9

Thanks for the tips, Vivek, I had never heard about the Senko before, that looks like a bargain compared to the prices these Angenieux go for these days. Have you also tried the 50mm? Oh, and I keep googling for the fabled Computar TV 25/1.3 but I still haven't found it anywhere - does anybody have a lead on them, please?

Thanks,

Stefan

Y.B.Hudson III

Computar TV 25/1.3 is a discontinued lens. A lot of 2-used sold on e-p@y for $65.00±, 3 weeks ago...

The Navitar DO 2595 (reputed to be a Angénieux 0.95 m1 clone)... Requires modifications... not a flat field lens, but extremely sharp, and bright, Crops out clean to 28mm equivilant... cost (new) $350-400 USD

If its character* you want...then it's the switar macro 26mm 1.1...:)

Last edited:
V

valtof

Macro Switar 26mm/1.1, out of Camera JPEG, cropped and resized
Hi Peter,
Lots of character indeed, but mostly very sharp.

However my initial concern was mainly the sensor covering, since lots of these c-mount 25mm are quite good for their size and age, even my little Canon TV16 which is far from being ridiculous in comparison.

I would say roughly there are two 25mm c-mount families :
- those where the image circle is large enough to only produce vignetting that can easily be removed in most cases (that's the case of the Canon TV16) ;
- those where the image circle is so small that we see a totally dark angle + vignetting, thus obliging to crop almost all the images, expect some taken in dark situation (that's the case of the Angy M1).

I'm definitely looking for a 25mm of the first family !

Could you please post the uncropped version of this sample or may be another sample (with sky) where the edge behavior is more obvious ?

Cheers

Could you please post the uncropped version of this sample or may be another sample (with sky) where the edge behavior is more obvious ?

Here a sample at 5.6 and infinity, there is definite vignetting. It gets better at short distances, when shooting macros

I'm definitely looking for a 25mm of the first family !
I have not yet found such a 25mm c-mount lens . I have an excellent 25mm Kinoptik in Arri mount that has no vignetting, but it is in another price league, although the 26mm Switar is usually quite pricey, too.

Cheers
Peter

Last edited: