The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Having fun with the E-P1

Diane B

Not that I believe the G1 sensor is on par with the DR of a sensor with 3.5x the area ... but I found on testing the G1 for DR that given the fact that the metering is not protective of highlights AND the set ISO is about .3-.5 EV pessimistic. This means its easy to overexpose highlights. Dial in a -.3 to -.5 EV Exposure compensation setting, and its DR is right in line with L1, E-1 and K10D bodies at around 9.5 stops (K10D is best at 10.5 stops and the L1/E-1 turn 10 stops).

Works well enough for me. :)
I did and do--and even more. This was a very extreme situation, I grant you, and had I been thinking better, I would have just bracketed at the amount I needed and done a manual blend. I was shooting primarily with the 5D for this--and thought I'd try the G1 in same conditions. In most other more 'normal' conditions I've been able to work from a RAW and be happy. This time not--but it taught me to take more time and think about what the camera and RAW file are capable of. Traveling with another--and being in the way of other photographers--makes one do things more quickly than I'd like.

Diane

Diane B

There are a couple of very nervous-looking EF lenses in my cupboard which have not been used for some time, and whose combined resale value just happens to equate to the price of a 2-lens EP-1 kit....
Hmmmm---I've been looking at my shelf for a bit now--same--EF lenses that don't see much time on the camera.

Diane

Robert Campbell

... more easily, could one similarly rig up a little shoe-mounted 3.5" screen which would be viewed straight down (ie, like a Hasselblad or TLR) ? I think I (or anyone) could do that 2nd option, but the first one would be even more tantalizing....
I saw a mirror in one of the mags a while ago; attaches at the LCD, and can be flipped to one side, or downwards...I didn't think much of it at the time.

Diane B

I saw a mirror in one of the mags a while ago; attaches at the LCD, and can be flipped to one side, or downwards...I didn't think much of it at the time.
Thinking you may be talking of a Flipbac. I bought one for my G9 thinking it might help use the LCD more efficiently. I used it for one trip--sort of (the image is upside down which one can get used to obviously LOL), but it will only work at 45 degrees and that often just isn't sufficient. I took it off. YMMV of course, but it didn't work for me--actually even got in the way at times.

Diane

scho

Nonsense. The LCD is what I use *whenever* I'm working on a tripod nowadays, whether indoors or outdoors. Ever heard of a dark cloth? ];-) And I use the LCD when framing for a lot of work even when I do have an EVF or OVF nowdays. This is one of the plusses of the digital camera era.

I will buy just two OVFs: the one for the 17mm and one for my 40mm lenses (I already have that one, actually). Don't need any more.

I absolutely despise the crappy built-in OVF of the G10. It's utterly useless IMO ... I can't see a thing with it. Waste of money to put it on the camera. I'd rather have only the LCD and learn how to shade it from the sun.
I love shooting with the G1 on a tripod, using the articulating LCD at approximately waist level. At my age, I don't think my back and neck would tolerate using the EP-1 in a similar fashion.

Brian Mosley

I love shooting with the G1 on a tripod, using the articulating LCD at approximately waist level. At my age, I don't think my back and neck would tolerate using the EP-1 in a similar fashion.
I agree - you can't beat an articulating screen for tripod work. Luckily the IS and in-built electronic level make a tripod slightly less necessary... and in the very rare occasions I need a tripod, I'll use another camera :)

Kind Regards

Brian

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Nonsense. The LCD is what I use *whenever* I'm working on a tripod nowadays, whether indoors or outdoors. Ever heard of a dark cloth? ];-) And I use the LCD when framing for a lot of work even when I do have an EVF or OVF nowdays. This is one of the plusses of the digital camera era.
I agree - there are two schools of thought here. Use a tripod or hold it in your hand. I wish I could use a tripod, but I'm afraid I'm too lazy.

If I work off a tripod and cover myself with my raincoat, I could use the LCD. Don't have time for that :)

But, each to his own - I'm trying to push myself in that direction, I have two tripods and a monopod, but I haven't used them. Give me time :rolleyes:

I was hoping the digital camera era would not mean that I had to carry 20lb of gear and a raincoat.

Keith

jonoslack

I agree - there are two schools of thought here. Use a tripod or hold it in your hand. I wish I could use a tripod, but I'm afraid I'm too lazy.

If I work off a tripod and cover myself with my raincoat, I could use the LCD. Don't have time for that :)

But, each to his own - I'm trying to push myself in that direction, I have two tripods and a monopod, but I haven't used them. Give me time :rolleyes:

I was hoping the digital camera era would not mean that I had to carry 20lb of gear and a raincoat.

Keith
Hi Keith
I also have two tripods and a monopod . . . but they instantly kill every photographic instinct I have (few though they may be). I'm not working towards using them, I'm refining techniques for NOT using them.

The idea of buying an EP1 because it's small . . . . and then sticking it on a tripod . . . . seems very strange to me. If I really was willing to use a tripod, I'd use it on an MF body, or at least the A900.

I sometimes have photos ruined by camera shake, but I've never taken a photo on a tripod which was worth a damn (me of course).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Although I hate the thought of not having a viewfinder, this starts to look tempting anyway.

Jono, will it AF with my 11-22?

Godfrey

I also have two tripods and a monopod . . . but they instantly kill every photographic instinct I have (few though they may be).
... I've never taken a photo on a tripod which was worth a damn (me of course).
LOL ... Well, you guys should know by now that I work with cameras using a tripod quite a lot. Not all the time, of course, but always when I get serious on subject matter that needs the most out of what the camera can produce. Doesn't matter matter what camera, whether large or small. "My sharpest lens is a sturdy tripod." :)

Of course, I hand-hold a camera quite a lot too.

jonoslack

LOL ... Well, you guys should know by now that I work with cameras using a tripod quite a lot. Not all the time, of course, but always when I get serious on subject matter that needs the most out of what the camera can produce. Doesn't matter matter what camera, whether large or small. "My sharpest lens is a sturdy tripod." :)

Of course, I hand-hold a camera quite a lot too.
Each to his own Godfrey . . . :salute:

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Hi Keith
I also have two tripods and a monopod . . . but they instantly kill every photographic instinct I have (few though they may be). I'm not working towards using them, I'm refining techniques for NOT using them.

The idea of buying an EP1 because it's small . . . . and then sticking it on a tripod . . . . seems very strange to me. If I really was willing to use a tripod, I'd use it on an MF body, or at least the A900.

I sometimes have photos ruined by camera shake, but I've never taken a photo on a tripod which was worth a damn (me of course).

This is an interesting thread. Cartier-Bresson would not have used a tripod (we all agree on that). But he looked at life through his viewfinder which showed him maybe 90% of life. But he got it.

I don't think you can do that with an LCD. So, put on the OVF, and I have no problem with that. But you have to put on a new OVF for each one of your primes, and I don't know what you do with zooms. At least, Leica could accommodate a few lens changes without adding an OVF.

We have to go with the chinzy Canon approach or an add-on EVF like the Ricoh.

Keith

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I don't think you can do that with an LCD.

Keith
You can do anything with anything, it's mostly a question of learning to use the tool the way required for the purpose. While I would undoubtedly prefer a good viewfinder to a more or less good LCD, in the long run, I would probably take the same photos with both tools.

I do worry about proper focus at wide apertures though, particularly when working fast. That "decisive moment" may only be available for a fraction of a second.